Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper

got the tyre levers etc under the seat,

getting there with this now
Brilliant! Nice job.

I've got the BMW F800GS tool kit, which though very nice quality, is quite a bit bulkier and heavier. It also depends on the three or four tools under the seat to complete the set so you may have to go to two different places to get the job done--a drag if you've got something strapped to the seat. Plus, now that I have a bunch of farkles I've had to add hexes and a few other sockets and drivers, a a 1/4" rachet and extension, etc to it, since TT and others insist on using hex bits instead of Torx.

Rob in Seattle
Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #62
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
Check it out:
Craftsman sells a socket set for about $85 that includes everything in the list (one of the first posts) minus a few little things. It has Torx drivers and sockets, phillips and flat sockets, 3/8 wrench, 1/4" adapter, extension, etc. I subbed in a few parts from my existing socket set and threw in my old tire spoons and CO2 inflator. Then comes the cool part:
I took a canvas nail apron (says ACE hardware on it, they'll sometimes give 'em to you if you buy enough lumber) and ran it through the sewing machine several times to create lots of pockets. Then I got a little snap kit from the hardware store and put snaps on the pockets to hold the little stuff in (1/4" sockets and such). Fold it like a tri-fold wallet, and it slips right under the seat. I was surprised it all fit, but there it was... a complete tool kit and tire changing tools, flat repair, and a real ratchet with a real socket to turn the big fasteners. And it's CRAFTSMAN! Wooo!

PART NUMBER for the Sears kit, please?

Life is tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid.- John Wayne

2009 F800GS
2001 R1100S
bikerfish1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #63
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but how do you use the 22mm if the 17mm is in the way? Same goes if you needed the 24, the 19 would be in the way, no????

Is it short enough that it goes in the axle? It doesn't seem like it would be deep enough.

What am I missing here? (besides brain cells)

I bought the motion pro version of this same tool thinking I needed it for the axels. I changed out both tires back in March and never needed it.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #64
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,625
Best tool I ever purchased for the kit is the Riders Wrench by Fredette!

17mm on one side (front) - 24mm on the other (back)

1 tool and I can remove either wheel.

Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #65
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,625
So for all of those that don't have the E-sockets and Torx bits I have found a nice little kit that pretty much contains everything you need.

Includes 7 hard-to-find star E-sockets and 9 Torx star bits.
  • Chrome vanadium steel E-socket sizes E6, E7, E8, E10, E12, E14, and E16
  • S-2 steel Torx bit sizes T10, T15, T20, T25, T30, T40, T45, T50, T55
  • Includes bit adapter and carrying case
Looks like this:

Where can you get yourself one? And how much do I have to pay for this?

Now before you pass judgement just remember that everyone is paying hundreds for BMW specific kits. Yeah I know what you are thinking but for the price of this you can get several sets and still not be at $50 bucks. Everytime I use it I just laugh with enjoyment. It does the job and is durable. Ok, ok....here is it, you ready?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36562

Remember don't pass judgement until you actually use it and see for yourself that the quality is not that bad. Every kit I looked at either didn't have one of the E-sockets or the T55 torx. And if I was to buy a single T55 torx bit it was $8 bucks! Hell thats 50% of what I paid to get 16 pieces.

Pair it along with one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93695 and for less than $25 bucks you can pretty much work on a large portion of the bike.

I know, I know... its cheap sh*t and its going to leave me stranded! I've used it to pretty much lock tite the various body panels etc and to ensure that the dealer didn't half ass on putting things together. Worked great, no complaints!

No it won't fit under the seat. Big deal! My tire irons won't fit under the seat so I have to put them somewhere anyways. I haven't figured that part out completely but if I have luggage then it goes in there.

Ok well that is my cheap a** tool kit, along with the fredette axle tool and having most everything else, I've spent $40 bucks!
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #66
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun
So for all of those that don't have the E-sockets and Torx bits I have found a nice little kit that pretty much contains everything you need.

Includes 7 hard-to-find star E-sockets and 9 Torx star bits.
  • Chrome vanadium steel E-socket sizes E6, E7, E8, E10, E12, E14, and E16
  • S-2 steel Torx bit sizes T10, T15, T20, T25, T30, T40, T45, T50, T55
  • Includes bit adapter and carrying case
Looks like this:

Where can you get yourself one? And how much do I have to pay for this?

Now before you pass judgement just remember that everyone is paying hundreds for BMW specific kits. Yeah I know what you are thinking but for the price of this you can get several sets and still not be at $50 bucks. Everytime I use it I just laugh with enjoyment. It does the job and is durable. Ok, ok....here is it, you ready?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36562

Remember don't pass judgement until you actually use it and see for yourself that the quality is not that bad. Every kit I looked at either didn't have one of the E-sockets or the T55 torx. And if I was to buy a single T55 torx bit it was $8 bucks! Hell thats 50% of what I paid to get 16 pieces.

Pair it along with one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93695 and for less than $25 bucks you can pretty much work on a large portion of the bike.

I know, I know... its cheap sh*t and its going to leave me stranded! I've used it to pretty much lock tite the various body panels etc and to ensure that the dealer didn't half ass on putting things together. Worked great, no complaints!

No it won't fit under the seat. Big deal! My tire irons won't fit under the seat so I have to put them somewhere anyways. I haven't figured that part out completely but if I have luggage then it goes in there.

Ok well that is my cheap a** tool kit, along with the fredette axle tool and having most everything else, I've spent $40 bucks!
I bought a set each of male and female Torx sockets at a Sears sale for $20 each. Don't have a 55, but a 7mm allen wrench works for that. Most of my tools fit in the pocket behind the seat, but you can also slip long thin things like tire irons down the sides beside the fuel tank. I put an 8" crescent wrench down there, wrapped in a piece of bicycle inner tube.

For driving sockets, I found a stubby handled ratchet with 1/4" drive on one side and 3/8" on the other. Not Mac Tool quality, but it gets the job done and packs small. The 24mm axle wrench from my DR-Z works like a champ on the rear axle.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:04 AM   #67
bonafidebob
Sport Tourer

Oddometer: 2
Curious if anyone has looked at this adjustable wrench + ratchet combination? http://www.amazon.com/KR-Tools-91115.../dp/B001G615JM

After bolting on a bunch of accessories I realize there are a few places where I need two of the same size socket at once, or where there's just not room for a socket. So I figure adding an adjustable wrench adds a lot of flexibility while still being better than pliers, and this does double duty. There's also a shorter 1/4" drive and a longer 1/2" drive version. But cheap adjustable wrenches are often complete crap -- anyone know if these are decently made?
bonafidebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #68
AMERUS
Traveler

Oddometer: 59
Torque wrench

I'm putting together my tools and apart from a few small things that I need I have everything but I have a copy of the bmw service dvd and it includes a list of tightening torques, how important are these when lets say you repair a puncture and are refitting the rear wheel which is supposed to be tightened to 100 Mn. was thinking of getting this

http://toolstoday.co.uk/shop.php?sec...fied+3892Ag-E3

is this necessary
AMERUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #69
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,110
IMHO, I would not carry a torque wrench on the bike.

Many folks that have been working on vehicles for some time have developed a "feel" for torque that is very accurate.

To improve mine, before I took off on my first trip I .... checked/set torque on the key fastners with my torque wrench and then went back and "tested" them with the wrench & extensions I planned to have with me on the trip.

This gave me a good enough "feel" for the rough value to get rolling again.
If I had any doubt I would get the next shop along the way to double-check my work for critical stuff

Just my $0.02
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #70
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
Torques

For a field repair I wouldn't worry about it. If it makes you sweat wait till you get to civilization and borrow one at a garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERUS
I'm putting together my tools and apart from a few small things that I need I have everything but I have a copy of the bmw service dvd and it includes a list of tightening torques, how important are these when lets say you repair a puncture and are refitting the rear wheel which is supposed to be tightened to 100 Mn. was thinking of getting this

is this necessary
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #71
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert Gerl
I bought the motion pro version of this same tool thinking I needed it for the axels. I changed out both tires back in March and never needed it.
The hex end of a spark plug wrench fits the front axle socket just fine. You'll have one along anyway, right?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #72
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis
The hex end of a spark plug wrench fits the front axle socket just fine. You'll have one along anyway, right?

I've come to realize that you don't really need the internal hex on either axle.
Especially the front; pinch bolts hold the axle to loosen the nut then once loose the axle slides right out.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #73
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
You won't need a torque wrench to get things set to spec if you do some prep ahead of time. Simply mark the fastener on the nut and bolt or against an object that won't move for example. In the case of the rear axle, using an index mark on the end of the axle mated to a mark on the nut will yield the same torque value consistantly (or extremely close to it). Also, unless it is a very fine thread pitch you will be able to tell that you're one turn shy or one too many by the general feel.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:23 AM   #74
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERUS

is this necessary
For what it's worth, I don't carry a torque wrench in my 'tool kit' which is on the bike all of the time but when going on a long tour, say two weeks or more, I take a 'repair kit' with a 3/8" torque wrench in it. The one you suggest looks way too big though. Draper do a small if quite heavy one.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #75
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
anyone knows the tool size needed to remove the BMW alu bash plate?

thanks! (sorry if its mentioned already, just cant find it!)
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote