User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #76
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 568
Home made took kit

Made my own. Had some stuff already, bought what I needed to complete it. All up, less than 50 bucks. I do plan on getting the Beadbrakr so didn't duplicate what will be coming in that.

Spanners:

8mm 11mm 12mm and 2X13mm

Driver:

1 3/8 bar with 1/4 adapter

1 1/4 round hand ratchet

1 3/8 extension

1 1/4 extension

Torx:

Drivers=T10 T20 T25 T27 T30 T40 T45 T50

Sockets= E8 E12

Hex Head:

4mm 6mm

Rare earth magnet in case I drop something in the dirt.

LED flashlight with carabiner to illuminate work area in the dark

Roadgear digital pressure gauge.

Seeing as how the seat has an area for a first aid kit in the event you get a paper cut retrieving your registration, I figured I could put the area to better use. I cut the plastic flanges, ran two velcro straps underneath, put all my tools into a $3 pouch and voila! They now reside under the seat.

Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #77
Foofighter
Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer: 217
That is the BEST setup I have seen yet! Well done, on making a well put together tool kit as well as putting it where it belongs, under the seat!
Foofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #78
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 366
13mm socket is what i used...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han
anyone knows the tool size needed to remove the BMW alu bash plate?

thanks! (sorry if its mentioned already, just cant find it!)
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #79
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,718
This may be *slightly* off topic but... What is the deal with digital pressure gauges (as mentioned in above post)? I honestly don't trust the darn things (I'm a mechanical engineer) and don't see the benefit.

1. Digital is meant for quick reading on the fly... does this apply to tire pressure readings?

2. They are often heavier and more bulky than the pencil type and not nearly as reliable.

I believe it is a marketing gimmick, someone prove me wrong lol
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #80
Foofighter
Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer: 217
I was just thinking the same thing. I want to make almost the exact toolkit as shown above but I was going to sub in a classic pencil type pressure gauge instead. Also I think I would use ratchet wrenchs instead of normal ones just for ease of use, not really necessary...
Foofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 PM   #81
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Thirteeeeen millimeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han
anyone knows the tool size needed to remove the BMW alu bash plate?

thanks! (sorry if its mentioned already, just cant find it!)
13mm. A deep socket helps, but is not required.

Edit: Woops, I see I'm late to the party. Time to save face and say the best tool I carry is an extendable magnet to retrieve all the miscellaneous stuff that slides down one side or another of the fuel tank when you have the seat off and are fiddling around. Really indispensable.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 AM   #82
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
13mm. A deep socket helps, but is not required.

Edit: Woops, I see I'm late to the party. Time to save face and say the best tool I carry is an extendable magnet to retrieve all the miscellaneous stuff that slides down one side or another of the fuel tank when you have the seat off and are fiddling around. Really indispensable.
thanks bro!
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #83
rockhopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static
Made my own. Had some stuff already, bought what I needed to complete it. All up, less than 50 bucks. I do plan on getting the Beadbrakr so didn't duplicate what will be coming in that.

Spanners:

8mm 11mm 12mm and 2X13mm

Driver:

1 3/8 bar with 1/4 adapter

1 1/4 round hand ratchet

1 3/8 extension

1 1/4 extension

Torx:

Drivers=T10 T20 T25 T27 T30 T40 T45 T50

Sockets= E8 E12

Hex Head:

4mm 6mm

Rare earth magnet in case I drop something in the dirt.

LED flashlight with carabiner to illuminate work area in the dark

Roadgear digital pressure gauge.

Seeing as how the seat has an area for a first aid kit in the event you get a paper cut retrieving your registration, I figured I could put the area to better use. I cut the plastic flanges, ran two velcro straps underneath, put all my tools into a $3 pouch and voila! They now reside under the seat.

best slip a 24mm spanner or socket in there, or back wheel punctures will be tricky

Chris
rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #84
AMERUS
Traveler

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
IMHO, I would not carry a torque wrench on the bike.

Many folks that have been working on vehicles for some time have developed a "feel" for torque that is very accurate.

To improve mine, before I took off on my first trip I .... checked/set torque on the key fastners with my torque wrench and then went back and "tested" them with the wrench & extensions I planned to have with me on the trip.

This gave me a good enough "feel" for the rough value to get rolling again.
If I had any doubt I would get the next shop along the way to double-check my work for critical stuff

Just my $0.02
thanks for this and all the other replies will pick one up as i don't have one and give it a try and see if I can get the feel for it (asking for trouble). Will have a look around different shops to find one i'm happy with hopefully
AMERUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #85
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,706
food for thought?

I'm liking all the kits that i see coming up in this thread.

My question is, would you be able to break the bike down with anyone of these kits, or are you relying on roadside assistance to get you the rest of the way?

Reason I ask is that I am going RTW in a few years and I need a complete kit. I am going to console with my mechanic on this to ensure that there are no odd ball tools that I need.

I have a better chance of an antenna ring failure than a mechanical failure, but I will want to be prepared to run in to Murphy in the worst possible location.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #86
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
My question is, would you be able to break the bike down with anyone of these kits, or are you relying on roadside assistance to get you the rest of the way?
The advice I've been given is to work out of your on-bike toolkit whenever you do maintenance. That way you discover in the comfort of the garage that you're missing a particular item. Of course, I don't think you'll discover *every* possible tool you might need but you should cover the more important ones.

When I R&R'd the rear wheel I found that an extra 13mm wrench would be usefiul.

I'll add that if the repair is for tweaked forks, bent rims, bent frame I doubt I'll have a tool to repair it, so yes, Roadside Assistance is getting called (if possible).
Old 08-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #87
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper
best slip a 24mm spanner or socket in there, or back wheel punctures will be tricky
Definitely. I got a spanner that has a 17 on one end and a 24 on the other.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #88
blender
Just another rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Definitely. I got a spanner that has a 17 on one end and a 24 on the other.
While we're on that subject....

When I recently did a rear tire change I torqued the rear axel nut to the F8 OM recommended value: 100Nm. I just checked the chain tension using my tool roll kit. With my ratchet wrench and 24mm socket I could *not* budge that nut. I ended up using my breaker bar to start it.

So, my question is, how would you handle this in the field with a standard ratchet or wrench as YetGS has? (Carrying a 2ft breaker bar seems like overkill.) Was I foolish to believe the MOM torque value? Should I torque the nut down to Guten-nuff standards and leave it at that?

And I realized that my KLR650 has a hole thru the axel nut and axel that is secured by a cotter pin. The F8GS lacks that little bit of security. If snugging down the F8 axel nut just "good enough" that cotter pin (or safety wire) might be a good backup.

Then again I could be overthinking the whole thing.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #89
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by blender
While we're on that subject....

When I recently did a rear tire change I torqued the rear axel nut to the F8 OM recommended value: 100Nm. I just checked the chain tension using my tool roll kit. With my ratchet wrench and 24mm socket I could *not* budge that nut. I ended up using my breaker bar to start it.

So, my question is, how would you handle this in the field with a standard ratchet or wrench as YetGS has? (Carrying a 2ft breaker bar seems like overkill.) Was I foolish to believe the MOM torque value? Should I torque the nut down to Guten-nuff standards and leave it at that?

Then again I could be overthinking the whole thing.
I had this exact problem on my XR650R once. (It didn't have a cotter pin either fwiw.) I stuck one of my tire irons through the wrench hole in the other end and used it as a breaker bar and stepped on it with my boot. No worries.

I have also used a rock as a hammer to beat on the end of a wrench to break a nut loose. My "friends" later said I should have used my head and we would have been done much more quickly.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #90
blender
Just another rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
I had this exact problem on my XR650R once. (It didn't have a cotter pin either fwiw.) I stuck one of my tire irons through the wrench hole in the other end and used it as a breaker bar and stepped on it with my boot. No worries.
Ah, I see it now. Think I have the same 17/24 wrench you'd described, and that tarh iron trick sounds, well, trick! Thanks!

Oh, and we must move in the same social circles. My "friends" describe my head in the same glowing terms. :)