Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #106
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Yes...but it's still under the seat. I have an 8" adjustable wrench wrapped inside a bicycle inner tube sitting atop the ledge made by the gas tank on the right side. On the left are a bunch of big-ass tie-wraps and a hacksaw blade. One could store tire irons or other long things down there.
Can I see a snap shot? I'm trying to imagine where you mean and nothing is coming to me...
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #107
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoster
I have yet to attempt to get the BeadBreaker under the seat. I should see if its possible.

I would like to have some lube, LockTite, razor, Rescue Tape, black tape, duct tape, hose clamps, and patch kit. If I can get all that under the seat then I will be able to travel very light indeed.

Anyone have a good place to store tools other than under the seat?
I like the way you think, that's some ingenious tool packing. The only problem I see is that I try to use the same tools I pack along for the usual maintenance chores. Having them zip-tied up would certainly slow that down (not to mention go thru my zip tie supply ;).

Once again I need to rethink my tool roll organization and spare parts.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #108
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender
Having them zip-tied up would certainly slow that down (not to mention go thru my zip tie supply ;).
As Bucko mentioned, he stores his spanners in a bicycle tube. I bet that secured with rubber bands is better than my solution of no skid fabric and zip ties. I happen to be an avid cyclist, so I will try that soon myself.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #109
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoster
Can I see a snap shot? I'm trying to imagine where you mean and nothing is coming to me...
I don't have a pic handy, will try to get one to you. Meantime, take off the seat and look where the colored panels over the tank end (towards the rear of the bike). There is a channel between the frame and a ledge of the gas tank there that is quite long and will accommodate long, thin things. Beware, some may fall out toward the front. Before I taped I big zip-ties together, one slipped out and melted on the exhaust pipe. My first flaw...glad to get it over with
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #110
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Meantime, take off the seat and look where the colored panels over the tank end (towards the rear of the bike). There is a channel between the frame and a ledge of the gas tank there that is quite long and will accommodate long, thin things.
I think I see what you mean. It's big enough for about a tire iron on each side I think.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #111
northrider
Traveler

Oddometer: 313
F800 Tool Kit

I've just bought an 09 F800 and will be flying down to Florida to pick it up and then ride to the SF Bay area in March. My question is: what's missing from the BMW tool kit that I should make sure and bring along on a trip like this. The only things I had on my for sure list was the puncture fixing materials (patch kit, irons, pump). I have'nt seen the standard kit. Are there any glaring omissions I need to fill? The large bulk of this trip will be on pavement, but I will have a bit of dirt in Big Bend, Joshua Tree, Mojave and Death Valley parks. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
northrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #112
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by northrider
I've just bought an 09 F800 and will be flying down to Florida to pick it up and then ride to the SF Bay area in March. My question is: what's missing from the BMW tool kit that I should make sure and bring along on a trip like this. The only things I had on my for sure list was the puncture fixing materials (patch kit, irons, pump). I have'nt seen the standard kit. Are there any glaring omissions I need to fill? The large bulk of this trip will be on pavement, but I will have a bit of dirt in Big Bend, Joshua Tree, Mojave and Death Valley parks. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I'm interested too.

Where do you plan on putting your tools? I have seen the bash plate tool storage - but think that they are kinda fugly.

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #113
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Oh, I just saw this too. It also might be helpful

From the sticky...

Maintenance: Servicing & Tools
F800GS 600 Mile Service Questions
F800GS - Can I maintain it myself?
F800GS Toolkit Needs
F800GS Service Schedule
Globeriders BMW F800GS Instructional dvd
BMW F800GS & F650GS Recalls
F800GS synthetic oil?

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #114
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Eh? Nuttin' there

Short answer: the stock tool "kit" sucks. It has very few tools and you should read the threads in the sticky and make your choices. Basically, there are enough tools in the stock kit to take off the top of the faux tank and pick your nose.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #115
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Yep, I agree. You're practically starting from scratch. Really, you should only need the tools to repair a tire, and those to remove the wheels. I purchased a Fredette Rider's Wrench (17 & 24) and it works for the axle nuts. You just need something for the front axle pinch bolts, but I forget the size and type, and my bike's not here to check on. There's a chance the Torx tool under the seat will do it... Hopefully somebody will fill in that blank for you.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...ctCategoryCode=
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #116
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by northrider
You might want to read through this here, too:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33275
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #117
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
You might want to read through this here, too:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33275
What this topic has been discussed before! And its on another forum?! Ah shit I joined the wrong one didn't I!
Bike4Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #118
northrider
Traveler

Oddometer: 313
Missed the Sticky

Thanks Guys. I missed the sticky. It looks like all the info I need is there. Now if only March would get here so I could get out of the snow and cold and do some riding.
northrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #119
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
1-What is needed to fix flats.
2-Good cell phone.
3-A major credit card or bunch-o-cash.
4-New bike or still under warranty should include BMW towing service. If not get one.

Now when you get it home begin to carefully build your kit that stays on the bike (sort out where works best for you) and the aditional one you take when making distance. Do work (with your kit) on the bike in the garage so if it don't work you are already at home.

Enjoy your ride!

BTW I have and hate the BMW center stand and am considering tossing it for the device that works with the side stand (don't ask, I dunno the brand seen in Vendors). The back wheel raises but the front does not and is a PIA to remove in my garage (some dirt trail would be major stink).
Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #120
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,633
here ya go

http://www.advdesigns.net/f800gstoolkit.html

most of everything you need for adventuring in the USA and other civil countries.