Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #31
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,237
Is it possible to install the Scottoiler using a "T" fitting in the hose instead of removing the canister altogether?

Fred
'09 F800GS
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:54 AM   #32
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr
Is it possible to install the Scottoiler using a "T" fitting in the hose instead of removing the canister altogether?

Fred
'09 F800GS
I think you will end up with "fitment" issues as well and defeating the vacuum the ScottOiler requires to operate normally. In addition, as the fuel vents to the charcoal canister, fuel vapors could end up coming into contact possibly come into contact with the oil, degrading the properties of the lubricant.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #33
Lucky Jack
Amateur Barbarian

Oddometer: 26
Scottoiler follow up q

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike
I think you will end up with "fitment" issues as well and defeating the vacuum the ScottOiler requires to operate normally. In addition, as the fuel vents to the charcoal canister, fuel vapors could end up coming into contact possibly come into contact with the oil, degrading the properties of the lubricant.
Did you guys install the scottoiler HCR on the 8gs? if so where did you put it? thanks
D110 #413
800GS
EC MN'10,RGS

www.G-EOS.com

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back.. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth : that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too... Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius..Begin it now.
-W H Murray Himalaya Expedition 1951
Lucky Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #34
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,512
Step by step on charcoal canister removal

Here ya go. Pic's and all. Canister removal
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #35
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,454
Here's why:

If you tip over, and your cannister fills with gas, your bike won't run.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #36
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Noticed the canister on another 800 on my trip thru the States. Actually had to ask what it was. Thought it was a little cheezy the way BMW had just zapped strapped it to the frame. Woulda been one of the first things I removed. Actually, it would have been the only thing. The rest of the bike is perfect.
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #37
Madmedic
Moto GP rules

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetdocX
In fact, if I was a cash-strapped gov. entity like CA, I'd turn the CHP loose with their ticketbooks specifically targeting bikes with obviously modified emmisions control systems (this includes exhaust). Think of the money that would generate.

Ever ride through Cali? I do.
They already do. CHP sets up road blocks on popular motorcycle roads and pulls over bikes and checks for illegal after market parts such as exhaust and turn signals. Was riding on hwy 33 a couple of months ago and passed one, they only waved over the guy riding a sport bike that was with us. They started to harass him until they found out he was a LEO too.
Madmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #38
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmedic
They already do. CHP sets up road blocks on popular motorcycle roads and pulls over bikes and checks for illegal after market parts such as exhaust and turn signals.
Somewhat related, also note that if your dirt bike came originally equipped with a charcoal canister and you removed it, you're subject to a $600 or $700 fine.

And yes, they check. At least at Hollister SRVA. The kids are scrambling to fix the err of their ways.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #39
AngryRed OP
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkspear
Here ya go. Pic's and all. Canister removal
Wow nice write-up. We were wondering how we would get the canister out once it was detached. Guess we know now.

2013 Super Tenere
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #40
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 362
Now here's another reason to remove it: The rain stalling issues that some folks are having seems likely to be related to the charcoal canister filling with water. It's possible that this happens through rain entering "at the top" from the airbox after being ingested through the fresh air intakes, but it's also possible to suck a surprising amount of water through te vent tube. As routed by BMW, that vent hangs right in the spray from the wheels. Check out the video on post 213 here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...420546&page=15

I personally have not had stalling problems yet, but I have seen an amazing amount of water drain from the vent hose for many hours after even short rides in heavy rain. Certainly at this point I am tempted to remove the canister, but there is another way to at least prevent water being sucked up the vent tube: Add a "T" in the tube and run an open piece of hose up high on the bike, under the seat for instance. Leave the original hanging down so any fluid can be ejected. This way there will never be a vacuum at the bottom end of the vent tube.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:19 AM   #41
n8foo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I had the stalling issue affect me 4 times on my most recent trip. What a terrible feeling to be stranded in the middle of nowhere by your steed. I even made a map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...6723b18fc2&z=5

Great suggestion! I'm gonna do this over t-day holiday. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind
I personally have not had stalling problems yet, but I have seen an amazing amount of water drain from the vent hose for many hours after even short rides in heavy rain. Certainly at this point I am tempted to remove the canister, but there is another way to at least prevent water being sucked up the vent tube: Add a "T" in the tube and run an open piece of hose up high on the bike, under the seat for instance. Leave the original hanging down so any fluid can be ejected. This way there will never be a vacuum at the bottom end of the vent tube.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #42
AbeFroman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I had the stalling issue in heavy rain and after fording deep water before removing the canister. The stalling has not reappeared since removal.
I'd sure hope the police have more important things to do than inspect for motorcycle charcoal canisters. But I'd rig up a dummy canister before I'd go back to stalling.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #43
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
We're beating a dead horse with this stalling/charcoal canister nonsense here boys. It's been proven over and over that the cause is not the canister itself, rather the routing of the canister drain hose. Simply re-route the drain hose somewhere else where it won't pick up water and you're good to go. I guarantee it! No need to completely remove the canister unless you need to make room for a Scott Oiler or a rear shock remote reservoir or something. Of course removing the whole charcoal canister system will eliminate the issue, but due to the fact that the fix is as simple as re-routing the canister drain hose, there's no need to completely remove the system. As a plus you won't have to worry about getting a fine, which is a serious reality, unless you live in the woods.

And I know all the non-environmentals out there will chime in here but the fact is that the thing does some good for the environment. It's effen 50 degrees in Minnesota in November for eff's sake!

The Griz screwed with this post 11-23-2009 at 04:02 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #44
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,709
Lol I just want to remove the charcoal canister to piss off the californians hehe

Texas rules! Woot!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #45
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
Hey now, Californians are the nicest people I've ever met!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote