ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
BAGSTR OP
BAGSTR

Oddometer: 556
San Diego Summer School 2008

With summer closing down and fall approaching, I thought it time to review what has been learned during a summer of off pavement exploration here in Southern California, sometimes known as SOCAL.
Contrary to popular belief, it does rain a few days per season here.

When it does, act quickly to enjoy the greenery.

There were a couple of challenging trips down to the Anza Borrego during a few unexpected cool days. If I learned anything this summer session it is that the desert is the ultimate challenge on a 500lb moto. Not being a lifelong offroader, the learning curve dictated numerous dead lifts. I discovered that three 550lb dead lifts are my limit before I search out the nearest pavement for relief. I've about worn out this photo. It should be retired, and will next season.

But, the Dez has many wonders to recommend.

Just be certain to take pals along for safety and added laughs.

As temperatures rise, the riding travels up slope

The summer really has been a learning experience, as I have only been exploring the county off pavement areas for 1 1/2 years. Discovering views of old places from new perspectives has been tremendous fun. Plus, finding places I have never visited in the county of my birth is amazing.

The summer heat encouraged one trip up north to Big Bear with my riding pal Captcham. We camped at Crab Flats and got a good overview

The Capt is an adventurous spirit and he is not bashful about exploring new roads. If you have ever travelled 3N34 you know what I mean. That was a large challenge, just downhill.

A fun time had by all

Back in town, it was time to search out previously unknown (to me) corners of the county. Study/homework followed by weekend exams

Life can be good in SOCAL, Up on Santa Rosa Mtn.

Pine Mountain

And more...

My summer school final exam just came back. It tells me there is more to learn! More homework, more field research. Off I go.

BAGSTR screwed with this post 10-05-2008 at 01:04 PM
BAGSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
riceless950
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,228
Beautiful pics BAGSTR!
Looking forward to your Winter Adventures.
Hopefully I'll be able to join you sometime.
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 812
Very nice indeed!!

Hopefully I will get out there late fall or early winter, and we can go explore east county...
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
BAGSTR OP
BAGSTR

Exploring the East County

Riceless & Low Down,

Thanks for the photo review. Yes gents, it is always fun to gather with riders from the online community. If we stretch our geographic planning toward one another, who knows what we can accomplish.
In that vein, I am hoping to do a loop the weekend of Oct 18: Indian Flats Rd. ( near Warner Springs) to Thomas Mtn and maybe up to Idyllwild; return via Wilson Valley Rd, Palomar High Point.
A group I was leading was once described as a bunch of "Sight Seers". That pretty much sums me up. I am not looking for the tightest single track, more like the most unique view.

Always Planning
Old 10-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Wolfhound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
[quote=BAGSTR]With summer closing down and fall approaching, I thought it time to review what has been learned during a summer of off pavement exploration here in Southern California, sometimes known as SOCAL.

Thanks for the great pics, as usual. As you know, your posts have given me many leads for good rides and places to explore. BTW - I really love this picture!! I have only had my bike for a few months and only been offroad maybe 10 or 12 times so reading your posts has been valuable. Llearning and learning fast.

Thanks for taking the time to post pics and organise rides - I hope to join you on more as the opportunity arises.

Take care - Wolfhound
Wolfhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
Nice pics and glad bagstr you are a moving force in that part of socal.

Come winter, we will head down south and experience your thumping grounds....

Good job and thanks for sharing
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,869
great gallery

Thanks Bagstr.

For putting those together and especially for prompting me to get out and see some of all that.
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
BAGSTR OP
BAGSTR

You Are Quite Welcome

Gents,

Thanks for the appreciation. You know, it's funny the magnet that draws us beyond the city limits. Rolling down the interstate in the middle of town can be pretty exciting given the state of driving practice, but hardly a positive experience. Finding a unique quite place, relying only on your wits and riding buddies, is a quest that keeps drawing me back again and again.