ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #1
Automatic OP
mmmmm, shiney!

Oddometer: 133
Hwy 36 in ca

Yes, i'm new to adv but not riding, however, next weekend oct.11/12 myself and a few are going to hwy 36. Is there any info that might be beneficial, gas between Red Bluff and Fortuna, police presence, and ?? any info would be greatly appreciated. I've checked other sites, but I was looking for real world info, thankx again
Automatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Try regional forums for that area.
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,093
I rode it last may/no police, a few deer.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
http://www.pashnit.com/forum/index.php

is the web site to try for all roads California.
Have fun, Love the Serrias.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Moved to RF: West
Old 10-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,716
Send a PM to Foot Dragger. He's got solid Hwy. 36 knowledge.

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
SteveAS
Crank

Oddometer: 193
There's gas at the Wildwood Store and in Mad River. I've never seen police on 36, but I've seen deer several times. I clipped one (in a car, on a vintage car rally) three weeks ago.
SteveAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Mendodave
Road Scholar

Oddometer: 862
Hwy 36

Hi

Hwy 36 is pretty awesome. The coast side is heavily wooded and twisty, quite fun. I worry more about wild turkeys than deer, but keep an eye or two peeled for both.

The one thing I warn people about on that highway is the valley side. Lots of up and down whoop-de-doos with turns. You can be IN the air when you are supposed to be turning!

it is a bit startling...

try to do Hwy 96 as well, further north

Mendo
Mendodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
ADVPanzer
Riding this mortal coil

Oddometer: 375
Living in Redding that's our "best route" to the coast. There is gas in Platina. Things to watch out for are the standard rocks and gravel on the corners, occasional deer, turkeys, and cars/trucks poaching your lane in corners. Not as bad as 299 but something to watch for. When you get closer to the coast near the redwoods it's pretty much a 1.5 car width road. Couple breweries on the coast to grab lunch at. It's a great ride.
ADVPanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
GSjoyride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Hwy 36

Just did Hwy 36 last week out of Redding. State Route 299 was a nightmare with semi's TAILGATING (so what if there IS A TURKEY...), no fun there.

Turned on Hwy 36 and it was perfect. The road gets a little twisty-windy with a nice sign that says 10 miles of , before it starts. Got gas in a little pit stop half way through (I don't recall the name, town started with a "P"), only had a porta-potty for services. There is a snow level warning about 1/3 the way in from 299 requiring chains when the sign is turned toward the drivers.

Only saw deer munching on greens in the ditch once. Beautiful scenery, well worth the side trip adventure for us coming back from Vancouver Island, BC.

Have a great ride, and remember the Lost Coast is just a few minutes away from the 101 end.
GSjoyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #11
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,326
Morning time on 36 can mean lots of deer,its shady so it stays cool for a while on lots of the road. There are some decreasing radius corners that can and have caught me out,Gravel is always there on certain corners and sometimes it seems on all of them which can be frustrating. Mad River is a tiny town but theres a burger/sandwich/breakfast place thats fun to stop at.Its a trailer under a home built roof cover kind of thing. Food is ok and its about 100 miles from Red Bluff. Right as you come in to Mad River theres a road called mountain hiway 1 that goes over to 299,its a paved ridge road and all corners and ups and downs. Its about a lane and a half wide but great fun.54 miles of corners. Lots of other dirt and paved roads off of 36 going every which way. Have fun!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #12
Automatic OP
mmmmm, shiney!

Oddometer: 133
Thankx

Very sweet, thank you for the beta. Should be a party on our hardtails...cheers
Automatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
Slatz
m00b

Oddometer: 309
36 - Chester to Fortuna last Friday

No deer, no police, just one crazy local in a white Toyota pickup that wanted to race. Not much fuel Dead Bluff to 101 but did see a stop at Mad River. Have fun, the road is in great shape.
Slatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
Rubber_Down
SF Rat...

Oddometer: 83
FYI- mad river runs out of gas now and then.

2009 BMW GS F800
2003 KTM 672 SXC, Adventure Style (sold)
2006 Ducati 620 MTS Dark (sold)
2005 KTM 950 Adventure (sold)
Rubber_Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #15
GSRick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Laugh

Dude, highway 36 is nothing short of an orgasm on two wheels. I ride 400 miles just to get there. I have done it every year for the last six years. Twice on my S1 Buell and quad on my R1200GS. No issues with gas on either bike, but both have a 5.5 gal tank and get about 40 mpg. 35 at a more spirited pace. If I recall it's about 140 miles, give or take a few, between RB and Fortuna and there's gas mid way.

LEO is not a worry, but deer and gravel are. I saw quite a few deer last month, but they mind thier own business and if you give them space they will go away. If your'e coming from Rb west, gravel will not be an issue as you'll be on the outside of the corner, but going east can be a problem. Just be aware of the possibilty there's some stuff in the corner and be ready to deal with it. Not a big deal, really.

TIP # 1: Stay at the Super 8 motel in Fortuna and you get a 10% discount at the brew pub just across the parking lot. Excellent food and beer at a reasonable price and the motel is very bike friendly.

TIP# 2: Ride out through Ferndale and stop at the "NO Brand Burger Stand" ( on the main drag on your left near the west end of main street) for the best hamburger on the planet. Then, go about 200 feet and make a right and a quick left and ride the Lost Coast Highway ( matole road) through Cape Town, Petrolia and back out through the most awesome redwoods you have ever seen to highway 101. Up to you after that.

2005 R1200GS
1997 Buell S1 wicked 88"
2006 CRF450X
1965 CL77 Scrambler x2
1964 CA78 Dream
Looking for a nice 65 CB77
GSRick is offline   Reply With Quote