sandiegoland
Adventure Boy

Oddometer: 1,742
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #47
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
I ride two up because the girlfriend likes to. Alternatively to have someone to hold the case of beer. But I try to avoid it most of the time. Its nice for a leisurely weekend ride. But around here (suburbs of chicago) there are alot of stop lights and stop signs. And you have to really stop at them (I know people who've gotten ticketed rolling 4 way stops on bicycles). And smooth stops and starts every block just get really boring.

Rural highway touring its fun to have someone squeezing from behind. But I'll always prefer riding solo for the thrills.

If she were 6" taller she could toe my bike and I'd teach her to ride.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #48
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer: 522
I rode pillon with my dad (and mother occasionally when she used to ride) ever since I was about 3. I've always been a motorcycle boy. More recently, my dad got to enjoy the riding, and the experience, and I get to enjoy the view.

We did a lot of dirt roads and forest service roads and 2-track roads 2up, and it was always a blast. I have no idea how much more work it was for my dad, but he was always plotting and planning the whole "ooh, this road looks like fun," so it can't have been too bad. He never dropped me (okay, once, but it was while we were stopped, ground was supposed to be there and it wasn't) and we've only had a few 'entertaining' moments. I never did take any pictures while moving (holding on like I had been instructed), but I have some great memories throughout my childhood about riding.

That, and being on the back, I learned a lot more about riding than I thought I would have. All those years of watching have given me a lot of "So this is what ________ feels like" and I could 'feel' more or less how to correct it.

Now, I've only had a few people's on the back with me, and its great. Girls that have never ridden before hold on tighter .
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
AirForceDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #49
nostatic
i drank what?!?

Oddometer: 409
I started 3-up on a Honda Trail 90 out in Anza Borrego with my dad *and* mom on the bike. I sat in between them (I was about 6). Then I got my own Trail 50, then a 70.

I think my dad has some photos of us 3-up in the desert...have to see if I can find them.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:46 AM   #50
Exevious
Goatrider A.F.& A.M.

Oddometer: 828
2-up is great..

following one important rule:

No more than one penis per bike!!
Exevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #51
fireboy
Not dead, just asleep...

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exevious
2-up is great..

hahaha! it sounds like you learned this the hard way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWAegPgp9OQ

It's worth it!
Future: 2009 KTM SE, 1950's era C-170
fireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #52
norcal-SAHD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191
fair enough. i just don't understand how someone would be willing to ride pillion and not want to rider their own bike instead. i guess part of it comes from the fact that the one time i rode pillion (as a teenager) i was scared shitless.
my wife does both. She likes to ride, but is not a very confident rider. She loves the feeling of flying low through the corners dragging the pegs, but cannot do it on her own. Both of us riding our dualsports down the fire roads is great fun, but when it comes to a long road trip on fast twisty pavement, she would choose to be a passenger on my Concours everytime.

riding sperate bikes is fun, but distant. Riding with a passenger is much more personal and physically/emotionally/mentally connected.
norcal-SAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #53
cba191 OP
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exevious
2-up is great..

the rule should ALWAYS be "one penis per bike"!
cba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #54
sweetfeed
Boxher

Oddometer: 1,368
In my profile here, my "favorite ride" is 2 up on an HP2...I ride my own bike, but I've been fortunate to ride behind a super-competent dirt (and road) rider on an HP2. What an unbelievable rush!! The bike can go anywhere, and we did!!! I was screaming, laughing, and crying all at once.
sweetfeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #55
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Your post is touching and very well worded. What happened if you don't mind sharing?

3 years ago today she went out for a short sail on her windsurfer while I was organizing the beach clean-up at our local sailing club.

From what we could figure the mast-base released from the board and the mast hit her in the head. Unconscious and unaccompanied, she drowned.

She was a black-belt, a certified scuba diver, channel-crossing paddler, and experienced windsurfer. I know better than to have let her sail solo, but it was something we both did without much consideration - it's not dangerous like riding motorcycles, right ?

I've almost completely stopped checking my mirrors for her white Bandit 400.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #56
krellheat
Pepsi Challenged

Oddometer: 2,035
Though it may be late, my condolescences . Its been 10 years since mine was taken away.

Devil's advocate. Hell conscientious and informed and downright argumentative dissenter.
krellheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #57
TwoTiredRiders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thumb Chris & Vikki Two up (as always)

Vikki & I really like going two up. We recently did the dual sports in Hancock NY and the Shenandoa? 500 in VA. She would not ride the trails by herself in a million years. She's just a little fraidy cat on her own but not on the back of the 950 adv. We've been two up all over the country and don't have a problem with it. I do get jealous when we get roosted by solo riders on dual sports but I did a million of them by myself over the last 20 years and still solo on my 200 and 450 around the home trails. All in all it's great having the memories together even if it means we have to back it down a notch. P.S. we were the only couple riding two up at either event and got a lot of great comments. Hope to see you on the trail.

2004 Silver & Black KTM 950

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372274

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1223685247
Attached Images

TwoTiredRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #58
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191
the rule should ALWAYS be "one penis per bike"!
The other problem with multiple penises is that a male passenger can be pretty heavy. I'm around 170lbs and once had a 230lb passenger on the back. Worse, he didn't hold onto anything. Emergency stop and my head was flat on the handlebars. Whatever force was on me, it was more than I could benchpress.

One of the problems with having a lithe, light and flexible female on the back is my mind tends to wander... I've forgotten to pull up the kickstand more than once when I had a female passenger on the bike.
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:04 PM   #59
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut
What's the appeal of 2-up?

-You get to share an adventure!
-You get someone to cuddle with in the sleeping bag at night
-The passenger can be on the lookout for the turn, the motel, the restaurant, the gas station, while you negotiate the traffic.
-If things start going to shit, one of you can maintain the quiet voice of reason and calm.
-If you don't have room for all of the dessert, you can share it.
-You can relax in the shade while the passenger goes from motel to motel to get the best deal.
+1, especially on a long trip, you get to talk about something great or terrible you just saw.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #60
geg
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind-venture
I like riding two up for the alternating chest and backrubs while driving thru some pretty cool roads. That and the way she hangs on tighter when we do some twisties
... there's someone along to snap cool pictures too!

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
geg is online now   Reply With Quote