User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
Kings 966 tires all over the mountain

I just did this ride yesterday. It was my first real off-road ride on the new Kings 966 DS tires.

Long story short - avoid them. They chunk.

inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by inte
Long story short - avoid them. They chunk.
Ya shoulda done a search here on Kings...Most of us who have tried um...Hate um

Cut yur losses and get them off now.

I have huge scratches on both sides of my 640 Adv tank from low sides in dirt with the Kings. The front just just washes out in corners. I have had my MT21's for mucho more dirt miles with no low sides.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Ya shoulda done a search here on Kings...Most of us who have tried um...Hate um

Cut yur losses and get them off now.

I have huge scratches on both sides of my 640 Adv tank from low sides in dirt with the Kings. The front just just washes out in corners. I have had my MT21's for mucho more dirt miles with no low sides.
How do the MT21's compare to the 606's on the 640 adventure?
Old 04-15-2004, 08:01 AM   #4
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Hate to say I told you so... but, I told you so.
I hated mine. that pic looks just like mine did. whole knobs come flying off some even some had cracks that looked like they would have made it to cord.
Unsafe at any speed. the Corvair of the tire world.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:15 AM   #5
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,162
Quote:
How do the MT21's compare to the 606's on the 640 adventure?
I've not run 606's but I heard they are very good. I have not found them in the 640 Adventure 140 rear size, only 130.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:08 PM   #6
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,601
M21's are the way. Excellent dirt performance, livable street antics. Even when its wet (the road that is) they stick. How much asphalt you roll over and how long they last isn't an issue. I have them on because they work everywhere and seem to hold up well. Off road they won't let you down, good in mud, hardpack and grass (not the smokin type). I rockgardens they won't fly apart and seem to have good sidewall protection. Lets face it, ON the KTM 640 R you've got a heavy bike underneath (full tank HA!) The performance area can only get so good, not like riding a 200 EXC, but better than a BMW 1100.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:32 PM   #7
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Oddometer: 2,322
Jon I ran both Mt21 and D606 on my Lc4 you won;t like the noise the D606's make on the pavement they are really loud I run the MT 21 on my xr400 and a cheapy Kenda on the rear If I had your bike I would use the Mt 21 or like I have on the 95 the TKC I'm learning to appreciate them even though they don't last long for me but no tire does under all my weight You'll like having a front tire that sticks try the MT 21
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor
Jon I ran both Mt21 and D606 on my Lc4 you won;t like the noise the D606's make on the pavement they are really loud I run the MT 21 on my xr400 and a cheapy Kenda on the rear If I had your bike I would use the Mt 21 or like I have on the 95 the TKC I'm learning to appreciate them even though they don't last long for me but no tire does under all my weight You'll like having a front tire that sticks try the MT 21
I called z-racing earlier today - as soon as the insurance company comes out & inspects my bike, I'm going to spoon on a set of the MT-21s!

They just sold their last set ... to Mr. Slotard himself, Bob!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:37 PM   #9
SST
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
I called z-racing earlier today - as soon as the insurance company comes out & inspects my bike, I'm going to spoon on a set of the MT-21s!

They just sold their last set ... to Mr. Slotard himself, Bob!
Jon,

I talked to Tim at Z Racing today and they are going to install TKC 80s on my bike so you can have the set of MT 21s they were holding for me. I have a lot of road miles to log in the near future so the TKCs should last longer on my 950. Plus Tim said the MT 21 in 140/80 x 18 was considerably narrower than the Michelin Desert and TKC 80 in the same sizes and he was worried about the Pirelli having the correct profile on a 4" wide rim. I plan to mount MT 21s when I finally get my narower rims.

Bob

By the way-your insurance guy called me today but I was not able to call him back yet. Will do so Monday a.m.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:43 PM   #10
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

He called me too and is sending me a form to fill out
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
Old 04-16-2004, 10:45 PM   #11
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

[QUOTE=Superslotard]Jon,

. I have a lot of road miles to log in the near future so the TKCs should last longer on my 950. back yet. QUOTE] Bob I have my original tires that have enough tread to get you home then you can put your TKC on once your home
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
Old 04-17-2004, 09:21 AM   #12
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
He called me too and is sending me a form to fill out
wow - this guy gets around quick ... I only talked with him once - good thing is, I didn't have to guess at time of day, speeds, etc... the GPS was running at the time and track logging was on, so I just downloaded the information - I have average, max, and low speed data for my bike on that entire stretch of road. There's a gap in the track from where the unit was turned off when I stopped the bike after the accident - the GPS shows I was going 7.4 MPH through that section!

I just made a CD with all the scene photos, a document to narrate the photos, and screenshots of the GPS map and "track info" dialogue boxes - we'll see what happens. In the meantime, I'm hoping the inspector comes out soon so I can ride again!
Old 04-17-2004, 07:04 PM   #13
SST
Lost again...

[QUOTE=Greg Minor]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslotard
Jon,

. I have a lot of road miles to log in the near future so the TKCs should last longer on my 950. back yet. QUOTE] Bob I have my original tires that have enough tread to get you home then you can put your TKC on once your home
Thanks for the offer Greg but my bike is already in the shop with the TKCs on order and to be installed on Tuesday. I plan to p/u the bike from Z Racing and then ride north and hoping to go to ride Hollister with the Scuderia crew. I really want the knobbies for the Hollister ride.

Bob
Old 04-17-2004, 10:22 PM   #14
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslotard
Thanks for the offer Greg but my bike is already in the shop with the TKCs on order and to be installed on Tuesday. I plan to p/u the bike from Z Racing and then ride north and hoping to go to ride Hollister with the Scuderia crew. I really want the knobbies for the Hollister ride.

Bob
That makes sense I did not know you are headed to Holister By the way what do you think about MaCall Idaho on the 17th my Brother lives there I'm thinking about riding to this event http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38171 after I spend the weekend at Laguna Seca Maybe I could come via Tahoe and hook up with you
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
Old 04-18-2004, 06:05 PM   #15
SST
Lost again...

Quote:
That makes sense I did not know you are headed to Holister By the way what do you think about MaCall Idaho on the 17th my Brother lives there I'm thinking about riding to this event http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38171 after I spend the weekend at Laguna Seca Maybe I could come via Tahoe and hook up with you
Greg,

That sounds like a great idea! A couple of my friends and I had already planned to be at Laguna Seca and to also attend the the Big Cat ride. I met some guys from McCall, ID at the Jimmy Lewis Class and they said the Big Cat is a blast. I may take another Jimmy Lewis Class there, too.

Let's do it! Riding up from Monterey to Tahoe and then over to Idaho sounds like a good plan. Might have a couple of other guys interested in joining us if that's OK.

Bob