User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
mac37 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
F800GS foot pegs

I have been riding KTM 2 stroke dirt bikes for the past 15 years. This is my first Adventure bike. I am very pleased with the bike but have one small issue. Is there a replacement for the foot pegs? The stock ones are a bit small and the rubber insert just feel too unstable. I have taken out the rubber inserts which makes it better but... Any help is appreciated.
mac37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Thumb Fastway footpegs

a brief description in this thread

levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Pivot Pegz

I have these on my F650GS. I noticed they have them for the F800GS now.

earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
a brief description in this thread

don't mean to hijack the thread but where did you get your shifter?
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
the shift lever

is from Touratech.

(I hate it when a low side pushes a rigid lever through the clutch cover or breaks the output shaft )
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
is from Touratech.

(I hate it when a low side pushes a rigid lever through the clutch cover or breaks the output shaft )
thanks!! have to get 1 of them.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,454
To be clear...

Any Peg made to fit the 12GS will fit, which should make shopping easier.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
mac37 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Thanks for the info!
mac37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Just fitted Pivot Pegz to my F800GS, I noticed two (admittedly minor) issues:

1. On the LHS one, the spring used to force the peg back down goes up against the bolt used to secure the whole footrest assembly. Not a major problem, but it means you'd need to remove the peg before getting the assembly off (which I don't think you'd need to do otherwise).

2. The shape of the RHS peg means that it doesn't fold up as far as I'd like it to in a crash. Not a problem in day to day use, but I suspect it means more force being transferred to the place where the peg mounts and may damage it in a crash where it would otherwise be okay.

I think you could probably fix '1' by cutting a little bit off the end of the spring so it didn't go so far. I also am 90% sure you could fix '2' by taking a grinder to the bit that fouls it, with no ill effects (other than the peg looking less pretty when off the bike).

Fix 1 - I'm a bit paranoid about doing in case it no longer reaches the necessary place to exert downward pressure and it doesn't look like the sort of spring you could easily replace. I'll try and speak to Pivot Pegz about this and see if replacements are available in their "maintenance packages" if it all goes wrong.

Fix 2 - I can't do today as I am in a rush and would need to go across town to use a bench grinder.

Also, I don't want to 'modify' the pegs till I'm sure I want them. I've got a 400 mile trip shortly, so will test them on that and once I'm sure I'll keep them, will consider doing either/both fixes and posting before/after pics.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Have now done both fix 1 and 2. I took some (very bad) camera phone pics, if they would be of any use to anyone. PM me if interested in photos or more detail.

1. Reading the small print revealed that spare springs were available, so safe in the knowledge I'd not be £100 out of pocket if I got it wrong, I cut the LHS spring down to size and covered the end in black electrical tape to make it look tidier and be less likely to scratch the peg mount. Worked a treat, peg folds up and back down fine.

2. Looking closer at the angle required, I decided a desk grinder would be overkill (and likely too inaccurate for the fairly precise small area to be filed). I took a few MM off with hand tools of the bit that was snagging and smoothed it out. I could probably have done another couple of mm and gained a few more degrees of fold-up clearance, without sacrificing any perceptible amount of strength, but looking at the angles, I'd gotten over the worst of the problem and it was enough of an improvement that I was happy to leave it as it was.

Incidentally, I cut the RHS spring down too. No real need, just looks neater and no chance of anything snagging on it anymore.

Just hoping they are comfy as I don't think they could be returned now! ;)
A quick sit on the bike in the garage suggests they are. I'll give them a proper test tomorrow and report back.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
I've put a thousand miles or so on my Pivot Pegs, and so far they seem pretty good, very grippy and comfortable. I do need a longer shift lever now, though, maybe the TT one above will fit the bill.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
CJRacer extenders

I have a set of prototype extenders for the 800 from inmate CJracer. He's been making them for the KTM's for quite a while. They are bitchin'. (I need to do a complete writeup)

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 689
Where and when can I get me some of those! I've seen them on an inmate's KTM he was trying to sell and when I googled SJracer I got nowhere - didn't realize it was an inmate. Excellent idea - any downsides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
I have a set of prototype extenders for the 800 from inmate CJracer. He's been making them for the KTM's for quite a while. They are bitchin'. (I need to do a complete writeup)

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #14
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 888
Question Lean Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule

How's the lean angle? I'm already scraping the stock pegs in hard cornering.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #15
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Easier to steer the beastie in the nasty crap, but you'd have to pull them for the tight tarmac sweepers, no doubt... I wouldn't mind some more info on them as well please!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote