ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
mcgovski OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I might throw up

Soooo, I just got a 2002 KTM 640 A. The last 2 days I have had it have been nothing but smiles...loving it. I bought the bike from a very cool guy here on AdvRider from Oregon and I live in California. (interstate commerce) So I went to the DMV to register the bike and transfer title etc. The Gentleman asked me where the vin was, the engine serial# was and the emisions sticker...I got the first 2 no prob, but the last one got me. So I went to the local KTM dealer to see if they could help me find this number. The owner and the sales dude told me straight up, you cant register this bike in California. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I am not sure if they are messing with me because they did not sell me the bike or if there is something I am missing. I know there is emissions stuff different in all states, but I thought this was a 50 state model.
I called KTM USA and the guy told me there is no problem, but I need to talk to this other guy...who is out of the office...I am going to throw up. anyone dealt with this or know where this number could be located?

queezzy
mcgovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,114
I just Google mapped Nevada City, CA. You're not too far from Reno. Do you know someone there that will let you register it using their address?
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
2000 manual claims that there is some usa only sticker on frame tubes, under the tank?
And behind left side plastics?
Seikkailu_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,292
Find an emissions sticker on any bike and have a decal shop copy it. Stick it wherever you want on the bike and try again.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
mcgovski OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Good stuff

I am going to pull the tank off tonight and look for the sticker...I guess if there was a usa only model and this model was sold in california, that I should be good. Damn THE DMV sucks

Thanks for the help

still queezy
mcgovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,037
KTM street bikes are all 50-state. I registered my '02 in CA (from WA) with no trouble. The sticker is supposed to be on the frame under the tank, but mine was missing. More than 7500 miles on the odo and you don't need a sticker, but some DMV clerks don't know that.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
KTM street bikes are all 50-state. I registered my '02 in CA (from WA) with no trouble. The sticker is supposed to be on the frame under the tank, but mine was missing. More than 7500 miles on the odo and you don't need a sticker, but some DMV clerks don't know that.
NOT SO according to the supervisor at the Poway DMV this morning......

I just got to work.....another trip to the DMV this morning so they could verify my VIN/Engine numbers and issue me a CA. Plate for the 620 I picked up in CO. last month......or so I thought ......the DMV guy verified the VIN/Engine #'s and then says, "Where's the emissions sticker (FED. & CA.)"......"Aw crap, are you kidding me?.....it's underneath the gas tank and I'll have to pull the front fairing/tank to get to it" ......"Yep", he says......"what about the fact that the bike has 10.3K miles on it.....I thought if the mileage was over 7,500 I was good to go (even though I DO have the sticker....you just can't see it without removing everything)" ........"nope, I've gotta see it".......can we speak with your supervisor because I believe you may be mistaken" (spoken as politely as I could muster) .....Supervisor backed him up........told me to come back when I could show them the sticker.....I normally have a 8/10 T-handle in my tail bag but I must've left it out last night and forgot to throw it back in my tail bag......crap.......so now I have to take it apart at home and drive it over there in my truck, unload for them to see it, reload.......or disassemble it in their parking lot some other morning, show'em the sticker, reassemble, and ride to work

Moral of the story - The DMV wants to see the sticker regardless of mileage ........

Just called the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Technical Compliance Section at (916) 657-6795 and got the same story.....I told them their website is misleading because the website makes a big deal out of whether the vehicle is NEW......and then goes on to define NEW as less than 7,500 miles........

From DMV Website:

"What You Need to Know Before Buying a Vehicle from Out-of-State
The Bottom Line
If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws in order to be registered here.

Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?
Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold to California residents or businesses. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-State) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. 50-State or California certified vehicles are made to be sold to California residents.

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California."

Here's the DMV website link: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr29.htm

Therefore, there's an implicit message that if the vehicle has over 7,500 miles it is USED, not NEW, and therefore exempt from the requirement of physical verification of sticker presence.....she agreed with me......but it didn't change anything......I need to go back and show them the sticker

Don't throw up - I'm sure your bike has the sticker under the gas tank......but be prepared to ride over and take it apart to show'em or trailer it over if you don't have time for disassembly/reassembly.....

Total B.S. and a real PITA.....flagging down a cop to sign off would be much easier.....or maybe an alternate DMV.....but I'll probably just bite the bullet and head back over to make sure I get it done....

See second page of the form in the link below (the part that's filled out by the DMV inspector)....it has a box under VIN/Engine number for "US Federal Certification Label Status".....there's also a box for "Emission Label Indicates" (US EPA and CA. Stds)....if they check "remarks" they don't process and hand the ball lover to CHP

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 10-07-2008 at 12:20 PM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,010
If all else fails look into registering the vehicle in Alaska. Unless Alaska caught on....you used to be able to register a vehicle there even if you didn't live there.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,037
So the supervisor can't read the law either.

The inspector at the DMV I went to did know the law, and told me he didn't need to see the stickers. He was also savvy enough to check the mileage on the WA title and the bill of sale to make sure I hadn't run the odo up after buying it.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
So the supervisor can't read the law either.

The inspector at the DMV I went to did know the law, and told me he didn't need to see the stickers. He was also savvy enough to check the mileage on the WA title and the bill of sale to make sure I hadn't run the odo up after buying it.
Welp, I certainy like the "I'll work with ya" attitude at the DMV you went to a lot better then the local DMV in my area.....or the folks I spoke to on the phone in Sacramento......
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
The good'ol DMV. I must say though the one here in town isn't to bad to deal with.

If you have AAA can you try and register it there
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #12
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,324
if you look in the manual, it should have a picture of the decal you need. if i was you id make a good photo copy of it, then transfer that to a foil decal sheet, then stick it on the bike. i know several people that have done this because they lost the decal. i had problems in AZ because of this, luckly they have another inspection that they do (for $25 of course), and that inspector was wise enough to figure it out, especially after i showed him the decal from the owners manual.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
bitemeback
electriceel125

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
If all else fails look into registering the vehicle in Alaska. Unless Alaska caught on....you used to be able to register a vehicle there even if you didn't live there.

Care to elaborate?
bitemeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
Kind of like flying a Liberian flag on your freighter.

Cool.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,227
FWIW, you might try to see if there is a DMV service office in your area. These are private businesses that deal with DMV transactions for a fee so you don't have to hassle with going. It may take a few extra dollars and a few more days, but if you can find someone that knows the right line to stand in, it may help. They should be able to tell you if they can help before you get started. Good luck.