ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
If all else fails look into registering the vehicle in Alaska. Unless Alaska caught on....you used to be able to register a vehicle there even if you didn't live there.

Non-CA registration (in your name) + CA license + traffic stop =

So I've heard. Maybe it's tolerated now that registration isn't also a tax.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
I have said this a million times on ADVRider (ok prolly 20) .... but I will say it again:

GET A AAA MEMBERSHIP !!!!! Do all of your DMV registering through AAA .... It is brainless ... you will not be taking you tank off your bike for a sticker.

DMV is walking into the lions den .... chances of getting out, without getting bit are slim.

And Yes your 2002 ADV R is 50 state legal ... I have one that was legally sold in CA by a KTM dealer in 2002
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #18
mcgovski OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
good news

Well
I owe Crawdaddy for the info. I went down to the DMV again and I said that according to KTM this is a 50 state bike. ( i did call them and they did say this) Then I asked why i needed to remove the gas tank to show you the emissions sticker when the bike has over 7500 miles on it??? The DMV guy asked why would he care what the milage was??? So I handed him the print out from the site crawdaddy shared from the DMV. He read it in my favor and stamped my paper worked and charged me a bunch of sales tax. I am sooooo psyched about the plates, they are in my hand. Now I just have to tell the Mrs' about the $$$$ it cost to register and transfer title!

Thanks everyone, now can I go have some fun???
mcgovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
Tempo
Stumptown Native

Oddometer: 684
Slightly OT, but out of curiosity, what about smog tests. Do they smog test bikes in CA?

I bought my 640 [used] in CA (ironically it came from mcgovski's local shop ). The canister etc. fell off not long after I got home to Oregon. If I ever move to CA... would those bits need to reappear?
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #20
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Dude, congratulations!
It's just this kind of thing that has kept me from living in Kalifornia for the last 20 years.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #21
grinder96
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo
Slightly OT, but out of curiosity, what about smog tests. Do they smog test bikes in CA?

I bought my 640 [used] in CA (ironically it came from mcgovski's local shop ). The canister etc. fell off not long after I got home to Oregon. If I ever move to CA... would those bits need to reappear?
No check yet but I wouldn't throw any smog stuff away. If I were you I would try to collect all the smog stuff that "fell off" and put them in your attic for when you do come back to cali!
grinder96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #22
mcgovski OP
Adventurer

No Smog

I was not asked for a smog check...

Kalifornia, not kidding, we just moved here from Olympia, Washington...to escape all the BS of state Government. BLAM. I guess its here too. At least its killer weather here!

I just put that plate on my bike and the DMV will have to rip it off to get it back from me!

Oh, I had fun on my ride home from work.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #23
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgovski
Kalifornia, not kidding, we just moved here from Olympia, Washington...to escape all the BS of state Government. BLAM. I guess its here too.
THIS IS AMERIKA damn it! Government is into everything. Cradle to grave.
(Kali is usually where all this bad crap originates and spreads east. Here in CT we get CA emissions on our autos too. Thanks Barbara Boxer et.al.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #24
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Well
I owe Crawdaddy for the info. I went down to the DMV again and I said that according to KTM this is a 50 state bike. ( i did call them and they did say this) Then I asked why i needed to remove the gas tank to show you the emissions sticker when the bike has over 7500 miles on it??? The DMV guy asked why would he care what the milage was??? So I handed him the print out from the site crawdaddy shared from the DMV. He read it in my favor and stamped my paper worked and charged me a bunch of sales tax. I am sooooo psyched about the plates, they are in my hand. Now I just have to tell the Mrs' about the $$$$ it cost to register and transfer title!

Thanks everyone, now can I go have some fun???
Sweet....glad the folks at your office were reasonable......too bad I didn't bring the F&*^ print out with me this morning but I'm not sure it would've done me any good at that particular office......may just ride over to a different office with the same paperwork and try my luck again (and tools if I get shot down again)

OR, I suppose I could renew my now expired AAA membership.....

Again, Congrat's man.....now go enjoy your scoot!! (and hide all receipts from the gal-pal )
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #25
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
I think the bottom line here is....

...Get the fark out of Cali

J/K
Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #26
mcgovski OP
Adventurer

crackin'

You guys are cracking me up.
California, what can I say. At least I have several miles of dirt to my house. Not to mention about 1 million miles of fire and logging roads around. Its not all bad!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #27
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
I think the fine point is that even if the vehicle has over 7,500 miles on it you still need to prove it has a 49-state sticker. otherwise it becomes your once-in-a-lifetime kit vehicle /w non certified engine.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #28
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,231
Now that you own it.....time to ride it......

Quote:
You guys are cracking me up.
California, what can I say. At least I have several miles of dirt to my house. Not to mention about 1 million miles of fire and logging roads around. Its not all bad!
Since you're in Nevada City, I'll have to look you up if I ride north to my folks place in Placerville on the 620 sometime so you can show me some of those local riding spots...(in the past, I've always been on the Superhawk when I'm up that way)

Now that you're plated/ready.....think about driving/trailering (or riding) ~200 miles south weekend after next to attend the Bishop 3 Day Dual Sport event......lot's of fun riding in the Bishop/Mammoth Lakes area.......I'll be there with my son and a few buddies from San Diego......

Go here for more info: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=bishop
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:54 AM   #29
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
Dude, congratulations!
It's just this kind of thing that has kept me from living in Kalifornia for the last 20 years.
Imagine that kind of government competence managing so much of your life, and you are wise to avoid the Golden State.

There's a reason I love Ohio....and it ain't the weather!

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 AM   #30
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Comiefornia!

I'll never understand how any State can have the right to circumvent Federal Laws. The Feds should have the final say I.M.H.O.!
Comiefornia should just fall into the ocean and put everyone out of it's misery.
Fracking State Governments!

I'm from Pa. and it's not much better!
Damn glad you got her registered....now get off the computer and enjoy it.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote