ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #31
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgovski
He read it in my favor and stamped my paper worked and charged me a bunch of sales tax.
fuck, when did Kali start charging sales tak on private party vehicle sales? when i lived there, the tax was only on new vehicles, or posibly used vehicles from dealers too... but then the dealer would probably collect it.

NV stopped charging sales tax on private party vehicle sales a few years ago... '04 i think. of course, that was AFTER i bought my KLR.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." – Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." – Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #32
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer
fuck, when did Kali start charging sales tak on private party vehicle sales? when i lived there, the tax was only on new vehicles, or posibly used vehicles from dealers too... but then the dealer would probably collect it.

NV stopped charging sales tax on private party vehicle sales a few years ago... '04 i think. of course, that was AFTER i bought my KLR.
For as long as I can remember.

Chris, you need to re-new your AAA membership. I've never had any hassle registering a vehicle, new or old, CA or out-of-state, with them. Especially when I have the law to show them.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #33
DownDirty
Learnin the hard way.

Oddometer: 106
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer

That's only part of the love we have going here. Krazi is a good place to leave, not come too!
DownDirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #34
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
These are all reasons I fucking hate California. Rules, rules, and some more rules. Fuck those Fucking Fucks....
I don't see what the problem is with moto emissions. They are a drop in the bucket compaired to cars.

I guess that is why I don't live in CA.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #35
indadurt
a dingo ate your baby...

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgovski
You guys are cracking me up.
California, what can I say. At least I have several miles of dirt to my house. Not to mention about 1 million miles of fire and logging roads around. Its not all bad!
I saw you yesterday at the dmv. I was checking out your 640, nice ride and congrats on getting it sorted out.

Quite a few riders here in GV, NC, give me a buzz if ya want to do some riding. I am always looking for a fun ride.

btw, I am heading to ride the topaz 400 in nevada on Friday. DS ride through the desert Sat and Sun.. I am trailering up and have room if you want to join. I know it is short notice, but thought you might like an invite either way. I will be joining up with some gcdsr guys.

Jeremy
indadurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #36
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,205
Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Sweet....glad the folks at your office were reasonable
Went to Oceanside DMV during lunch since it's ~10 minutes from my office......things looked pretty promising at first.......no line in verification area....sweet! .....decided to just follow the KISS rule and roll the bike over with tank removed......so that's what I did.....parked in the shade and striped down (the bike not me ).......didn't take too long to remove everything since the tank was only ~1/3 full and I sprayed some silicone lube on the rollers last night.......VIN/Engine numbers verified AGAIN .......CA. approved EPA sticker on frame under tank - verified .......then the bonus question, "Where's the Fed sticker?".......Huh? ......no Fed sticker to be found......we looked everywhere

Sooooo, what do you do when you have no FED sticker? .....more DMV forms ........Now I have to take yet another form (Reg 124) to the CHP tomorrow (11am appt - they require an appt.....couldn't take care of it today ) for "Application for Assigned VIN plate" because there's no FED sticker on the bike (even though the VIN number is clearly visible right on the side of the steering head, even though it was registered/street licensed in CO. with VIN and Engine number, and even though it has 10,400 miles on the odo)......then it'll be back to the DMV again to hopefully pick up my license plate...... WHAT A F***n' Hassle!!! .......Welcome to The Republic of Kalifornistan!!!
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 10-08-2008 at 04:01 PM
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #37
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHopper
I think the bottom line here is....

...Get the fark out of Cali

J/K
I agree, everybody, both cars and motorcycles please leave now.

Me, I'm gonna stick around just to make sure everybody gets out safe
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #38
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
"Where's the Fed sticker?".......Huh? ......no Fed sticker to be found......we looked everywhere

Sooooo, what do you do when you have no FED sticker? .....more DMV forms ........
What's a Fed sticker??
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #39
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
What's a Fed sticker??
It certifies that the bike meets all federal safety standards (lights, horn, airbags, side impact beams) It's required on all vehicles sold in the US.

Federal law also says that the sticker must be permanent, so thanks a bunch KTM.

Edit: They look like this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...39&postcount=7

Luke screwed with this post 10-08-2008 at 03:34 PM
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #40
AlabamaCowboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Damn....Im beginning to feel lucky that I live in Alabama....Slap an old tag on just about anything with wheels, find the right clerk and you are good to go....

Of course the down side is, cars on the road with no headlights, one headlight pointing up to my rearview mirror etc etc....

Ive heard horror stories about California DMV and I can see why... As I am fond of saying ...California...A wonderful place to VISIT....

Good luck , hope the Nazi will let you get your plates....
1982 Honda Passport
AlabamaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #41
mcgovski OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Cali...

INDADURT
Thanks for the invite, I will have to take a rain check on that trip. I am riding Henness Pass from town to Jackson Meadows and back on Saturday and doing a trail work party on Pioneer trail on Sunday. I will hit you up at some point and go hit some trails

Crawdaddy:
Damn, I hope I did not steal all the luck on the Reg / title front. I think I owe you a beer or 6, Good luck man.
mcgovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #42
DownDirty
Learnin the hard way.

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
I agree, everybody, both cars and motorcycles please leave now.

Me, I'm gonna stick around just to make sure everybody gets out safe
I'm born and raised Kalifornian, so are my parents and my grandparents came here turn of the century. Used to be a nice conservitive state. All the good folks are leaving. I'm next to go, hopefully within six months. This place has been loved to death and the Komi loving reds can have it! Put the mexican flag up and build a fence around it!
DownDirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #43
Rover31
formerly tdfox

Oddometer: 658
GOOD God that is so ridiculous
Good luck
KTM65SX, KX65
<><
Rover31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #44
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,205
Got it.....finally

Quote:
Went to Oceanside DMV during lunch since it's ~10 minutes from my office......things looked pretty promising at first.......no line in verification area....sweet! .....decided to just follow the KISS rule and roll the bike over with tank removed......so that's what I did.....parked in the shade and striped down (the bike not me ).......didn't take too long to remove everything since the tank was only ~1/3 full and I sprayed some silicone lube on the rollers last night.......VIN/Engine numbers verified AGAIN .......CA. approved EPA sticker on frame under tank - verified .......then the bonus question, "Where's the Fed sticker?".......Huh? ......no Fed sticker to be found......we looked everywhere

Sooooo, what do you do when you have no FED sticker? .....more DMV forms ........Now I have to take yet another form (Reg 124) to the CHP tomorrow (11am appt - they require an appt.....couldn't take care of it today ) for "Application for Assigned VIN plate" because there's no FED sticker on the bike (even though the VIN number is clearly visible right on the side of the steering head, even though it was registered/street licensed in CO. with VIN and Engine number, and even though it has 10,400 miles on the odo)......then it'll be back to the DMV again to hopefully pick up my license plate...... WHAT A F***n' Hassle!!! .......Welcome to The Republic of Kalifornistan!!!
Went to CHP office in Oceanside for my 11am appt.....CHP notes the VIN/Engine number and luckily DOES NOT ask me to show him the CA. Emissions sticker under the tank since that was already verified by DMV yesterday......then he says, "So why are you here?" .....so I show him the DMV Reg 124 form and tell him the DMV sent me over here because I don't have a Fed Sticker......He replied, "I don't think these bikes come with Fed Stickers......wait here"......comes back out ~10 minutes later with paperwork signed off, "you're good to go".......So I ask'em, "Did I have to come here in the first place" ......His reply, "NO"........so back over to the DMV I go.....wait ~30 minutes.....get to the window.....then, as I'm FINALLY clutching the plate in my hands, I tell the clerk, "Hey, you might want to let the Vehicle Verification folks know they sent me to the CHP for no reason today.....and I'm not too pleased about having to take MORE time off from work to make a trip that wasn't necessary so I could come here AGAIN today…..all of this could've been taken care of yesterday .......his reply, "We send ALL out of state bikes that are missing either the emissions sticker or the Fed sticker to the CHP....period…..the CHP then determines whether they care or not" ......I told him the DMV may get some feed back on that policy from the CHP because the CHP seemed sort of annoyed that I was sent over there.......the CHP's position was that the DMV should know who needs the Fed Sticker and who doesn't......and I'm DEFINITELY annoyed that I was sent over there

Anyway, long story short, I got my plate today.....finally

PS: Insult to injury.......my monthly sticker is Sept not Oct since I bought the bike in Sept.......so now I have to pay next years reg fees in 11 months not 12.......the DMV, they get ya coming and going
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #45
mcgovski OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Congrats

Crawdaddy
Congrats on getting the plates. I feel for you man, I felt like I was going to throw up for about 36 hours.
Go ride your bike!
mcgovski is offline   Reply With Quote