ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #61
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Called DMV and spoke to a supposed "expert" on registering "dirt bike" for street use in CA and here's where they stand (not much change, but at least I got it from the horses ass:)

For out of state vehicles 1982 or newer, over 50cc, 7500 miles or more, has a US Emmissions sticker "FOR HWY USE" (CA sticker not necessary) - this may be reg'd in CA for hwy use.

If you don't have 7500 miles on the bike, it HAS to have a CA sticker or just forget about getting it plated legitimately.

If it's a CA reg'd green sticker bike without a CA emmissions sticker you wont get it plated legally. And if you manage to due to an error by an unknowing DMV employee (and you've got a pretty good chance of that happening - after all we're talking DMV employees - no offense intended) CARB has been vigilantly forcing the DMV to rescind those plates.

If it's CA plated and was done so after 1/31/04 and does NOT have a CA sticker, CARB may send you a love letter one day and if you're buying such a bike, you may be rejected at the DMV for plating when you go to change title to your name.

Some of the above is internal and is apparently not available to the public - YOUR tax dollars hard at work against you.

Good luck!!!

12 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #62
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
...Kali is usually where all this bad crap originates and spreads east....l.
Well that stuff must all skip right over Arizona because yesterday I went in to get my title for my new-to-me truck and was in and out of the DMV with title, registration & tags in 27 minutes. They didn't even come outside and take a look at my new truck.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #63
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdxkawboy View Post
I think the fine point is that even if the vehicle has over 7,500 miles on it you still need to prove it has a 49-state sticker. otherwise it becomes your once-in-a-lifetime kit vehicle /w non certified engine.
YEP.... and while we are Cali bashing... you can move to the free state of AZ where they DO smog bikes !

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #64
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff aka BOLT View Post
YEP.... and while we are Cali bashing... you can move to the free state of AZ where they DO smog bikes !

ELIMINATION OF EMISSIONS TESTING ON MOTORCYCLES
Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #65
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
You can stick your tongue out when it happens... for now it is the law in AZ !

But if your bike is less than 6 years old it's exempt anyway... so what he hell:

Guests are encouraged.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #66
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,480
Only the law in two counties. Nowhere else in the state do you need to do this. It is a pain in the ass!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #67
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
Called DMV and spoke to a supposed "expert" on registering "dirt bike" for street use in CA and here's where they stand (not much change, but at least I got it from the horses ass:)

For out of state vehicles 1982 or newer, over 50cc, 7500 miles or more, has a US Emmissions sticker "FOR HWY USE" (CA sticker not necessary) - this may be reg'd in CA for hwy use.

If you don't have 7500 miles on the bike, it HAS to have a CA sticker or just forget about getting it plated legitimately.

If it's a CA reg'd green sticker bike without a CA emmissions sticker you wont get it plated legally. And if you manage to due to an error by an unknowing DMV employee (and you've got a pretty good chance of that happening - after all we're talking DMV employees - no offense intended) CARB has been vigilantly forcing the DMV to rescind those plates.

If it's CA plated and was done so after 1/31/04 and does NOT have a CA sticker, CARB may send you a love letter one day and if you're buying such a bike, you may be rejected at the DMV for plating when you go to change title to your name.

Some of the above is internal and is apparently not available to the public - YOUR tax dollars hard at work against you.

Good luck!!!
Somebody finally got it right There are a few other exemptions and prohibitions:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256f.pdf

Besides being stupid, the reasons why DMV clerks can't figure this out, is the emissions standards and requirements are not in the DMV code. They are in the California Health and Safety code.

Why DMV has to physically see the sticker is beyond me. The California Air Resourse Board compiles the list of vins of vehicles that meet (or do not) their ever changing standard and gives them to DMV. If they cannot connect the two via that multi million dollar computor project that does not work half the time, they should have.

itsatdm screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 12:08 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #68
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Only the law in two counties. Nowhere else in the state do you need to do this. It is a pain in the ass!
Correct... Only the two counties where most AZ-onians LIVE !

Guests are encouraged.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #69
Yellowdatsun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
We may have to emissions the bikes here, but that's literally the ONLY thing they care about. When I got a DRZ400E plated recently, the emissions was the only thing they asked for. They didn't even want to look at the bike to see if it had any lights, mirrors, brake lights, dot tires, etc. You can license anything here in AZ, even 2 strokes. My old XR200 from years back was the same way. None of this green-sticker junk that Cali has to deal with.
Yellowdatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #70
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowdatsun View Post
We may have to emissions the bikes here, but that's literally the ONLY thing they care about. When I got a DRZ400E plated recently, the emissions was the only thing they asked for. They didn't even want to look at the bike to see if it had any lights, mirrors, brake lights, dot tires, etc. You can license anything here in AZ, even 2 strokes. My old XR200 from years back was the same way. None of this green-sticker junk that Cali has to deal with.
Well you saw my AZ plate. AZ correctly considers it the cops job to deal with a bike riding down the street without a headlight. How they got to smogging bikes cracks me up. Hopefully they will follow through on that correction soon.

My bike is a 2011 so I have until 2017 to worry about smog so I'll have upgraded by then anyway

Guests are encouraged.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #71
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
So did the 640 adventure ever get registered?
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #72
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
So did the 640 adventure ever get registered?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=18 Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #73
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Went to Oceanside DMV during lunch since it's ~10 minutes from my office......things looked pretty promising at first.......no line in verification area....sweet! .....decided to just follow the KISS rule and roll the bike over with tank removed......so that's what I did.....parked in the shade and striped down (the bike not me ).......didn't take too long to remove everything since the tank was only ~1/3 full and I sprayed some silicone lube on the rollers last night.......VIN/Engine numbers verified AGAIN .......CA. approved EPA sticker on frame under tank - verified .......then the bonus question, "Where's the Fed sticker?".......Huh? ......no Fed sticker to be found......we looked everywhere

Sooooo, what do you do when you have no FED sticker? .....more DMV forms ........Now I have to take yet another form (Reg 124) to the CHP tomorrow (11am appt - they require an appt.....couldn't take care of it today ) for "Application for Assigned VIN plate" because there's no FED sticker on the bike (even though the VIN number is clearly visible right on the side of the steering head, even though it was registered/street licensed in CO. with VIN and Engine number, and even though it has 10,400 miles on the odo)......then it'll be back to the DMV again to hopefully pick up my license plate...... WHAT A F***n' Hassle!!! .......Welcome to The Republic of Kalifornistan!!!
You must have ruffled some feathers. The federal EPA IS the emmissioins sticker

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #74
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
You can buy and register a new vehicle in Cali without a Cali emmissions stickers and less than 7500 miles IF you are already the registered owner in the state you are coming from. The laws are very simple and easy to understand, there is no mystery. The smog laws are working very well, the air has cleared up tremendously. I have friend that does car smogs and he says the difference in readings is enormous from a car that complies and one that doesn't and that the smog equipment on the vehicle REALLY works very well.
By the way just about anyone can be a licensed verifier. When I was a car dealer I was also my own DMV clerk and a licensed verifier. The arguments I have had with local DMV offices have caused near riots and changed procedure. I was the first to point out years ago that you didn't need a driving license to register a vehicle in your name. A child can have a vehicle registered in their name. There is a place for your CADL# on Cali titles....for the last 20 years I have been putting 'no CADL' in that space. Sometimes registering a dozen vehicles a week.
The latest is requiring you to PRINT your name on the bottom of the Cali pink...when it clearly states in that box that it is for 'agent signing for a company' to print their name there. I have them in fits over that on a regular basis.
I NEVER talk to a supervisor..I talk to the Manager....the one at Pomona knows me well! He hides in the back, you NEVER see him. He comes out and talks to me about Cricket (I'm from UK) or anything to be friendly. He knows if I have a beef I have done my research and I am armed with documents. The clerks hate it though because it gets them in trouble. I refuse to feel/be subserviant to the clerks, I'll argue until they call the Security, sometimes they 'threaten' that and I always answer 'now your talking, get them over here'....The procedures and laws are simple, we all must abide by them...not just us, but DMV too.
I'm a self proclaimed expert...don't mind me.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #75
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,258
So, they JUST DON'T WANT YOUR VOLUNTEERED TAX MONEY in CA. Now you know why they are in debt so deeply. And never buy a new bike because you can only plate a 6 yr old one easily! The states around Michigan have also developed dumb policies like this much to MI advantage. We have guys from 3 states around us bringing their bikes up to get them plated,...... YZ250s, KDXs, any number of different 2 stroke KTMs. The DMV here says bring them in we could use the money. Too bad you are so far away. There is always the Vermont system of mail in your money and get a plate too. This is just crazy. What if you "sell" it to someone in AZ, get a title for road? Will they then TRF that title to a CA title or reject that too?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote