User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
berkly OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
f800gs OBC

Well I'd have to say my obc is pretty acurate when calculating how many miles left in the tank. It read 5 miles to go On The way to work this morning when it ran out. I would kind of like it to be a little more conservative but at least I know. A fellow rider offered a ride back in his truck after the mile walk to the gas station.

After 2300 miles in just over a month I'd say the beast has mellowed out a bit. Throttle isn't so snatchy, compression breaking has weakened and I haven't had another stall.

Sat in The saddle for 8 hours out to AR horseshoe canyon ranch last weekend and all I could think about was how bad my ass hurt. Anything over 3 hours is simply torture.

Buziness in my handlebars has reduced as well.

I'm still in love with my bike though
berkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Found the same thing with my OBC. Also ditto on the seat...I have about 1700 miles on the bike, and everything is really smooth except the seat is not comfortable after about 2 straight hours of riding. Seats are an easy fix though...still the best bike I have ever bought.
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,294
I keep reminding myself, I don't have a reserve, I don't have a reserve.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
my skinny butt don't like that seat neither after a couple hours...

I have a day trip planned for tomorrow and in preparation have made a "seat-comfort-augmentation" device. At this stage it is very simple, if the comfort is improved I'll refine ... but what I did was got a 1.5" thick piece of medium density upholstery foam from a buddy then broke out the electric kitchen knife (which BTW is the only REAL way to cut foam rubber) and then carved it to more or less match the side and top contours of the seat.

So it "fills in" some of the dip right behind the tank and adds about 1.5" of foam for the driver seating area. The foam is soft enough that it only adds a small fraction of an inch to the ride height. If it works I'll post back and then "refine" the approach.... so that I don't look like a dork sitting on a piece of foam rubber....

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Isn't there some over/seat for a quad that may work as a distance riding seat?
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
R.J.
split personality

Oddometer: 1,070
Ditto on the accuracy of the OBC. I put 15.9 L in my 650 twin when the OBC said I had about 27 km range left. It seems that is right about on the money. I haven't been brave enough to actually let it run dry though.
As for the seat, I have the lowered version and find the seat to be quite comfortable, and am easily able to go 3-4 hours with no sign of fatigue. That may change on a longer 7-10 hour trip. Then again, I do have adequate "padding" of my own.
R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 31,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkly
Well I'd have to say my obc is pretty acurate when calculating how many miles left in the tank. It read 5 miles to go On The way to work this morning when it ran out. I would kind of like it to be a little more conservative but at least I know. A fellow rider offered a ride back in his truck after the mile walk to the gas station.

After 2300 miles in just over a month I'd say the beast has mellowed out a bit. Throttle isn't so snatchy, compression breaking has weakened and I haven't had another stall.

Sat in The saddle for 8 hours out to AR horseshoe canyon ranch last weekend and all I could think about was how bad my ass hurt. Anything over 3 hours is simply torture.

Any clue as to what fixed your stalling problem?
Old 10-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
berkly OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Any clue as to what fixed your stalling problem?
Im blaming it on a combination of new software and I dont downshift IN turns anymore. I still downshift, but only on a straight away. It feels like downshifting isnt so jerky anymore, so breaking in the engine also helps I think.

I have notice I get 48-52mpg on 100% 91 octane. It dips down to like 45 on throttle happy steep arkansas mountain roads.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:

I ran out at 9, about 1/4 mile from the gas station...

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:

+1 on both counts ... if you figure out anything on the saddle let us know!

As a test I temporarily tacked on a 2" piece of furniture foam on my seat for last ride but I think the foam was too soft so I just bottomed out in it... no big help...

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #11
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,717
Quote:

I have notice I get 48-52mpg on 100% 91 octane. It dips down to like 45 on throttle happy steep arkansas mountain roads.
Is that running loaded or no luggage?

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
berkly OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Is that running loaded or no luggage?
I've got an empty top box most the time although I was riding two up on some of those mountain rds
Old 10-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
+1 on both counts ... if you figure out anything on the saddle let us know!

As a test I temporarily tacked on a 2" piece of furniture foam on my seat for last ride but I think the foam was too soft so I just bottomed out in it... no big help...

Jim
Airhawk airhawk airhawk...

LOL
Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #14
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Sorry nearly derailed this thread...

Yeah my OBC is fairly accurate too as RJ pointed out
Old 10-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #15
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Eek Accurate?

I picked up the bike yesterday, and only have 120 miles on her BUT my initial impression is that the OBC and tire pressure monitor are not accurate based I what I would expect based on what BMW charged for these items.

I topped off my tank last night and the OBC showed that I was getting 70-80mpg but I only had a range of 169 miles.

BMW should state what the torrerances for accuracy for these guages are suppose to be, +/- 10-20% is just not acceptable to me.

Can the dealer re-calibrate these guages?

the salesman during his explaination of how things worked last evening showed me the air pressure. He then rolled the bike back into the service area and asked the mechanics to adjust the pressure. The mechanic said that they put three air pressure guages on the tires and that the tire pressure guage on the bike was way off.

Sure is fun owning one of the Legendary Bikes from BMW.
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote