F800GS 50 33.33%
Wee-Strom 42 28.00%
Something else 9 6.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #46
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,677
My Versys is my touring bike. Then again, I go by myself. It works very well one up as a touring bike. Mine has taken me about 12,000 miles since March of this year.

I'll repeat again here... The V7 is set up for lightweight/entry level riders.
-Todd at GuzziTech
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #47
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
My Versys is my touring bike. Then again, I go by myself. It works very well one up as a touring bike. Mine has taken me about 12,000 miles since March of this year.
12k miles since March? Sorry you aren't liking your Versys.

(I've only put 18k on my DL, and that doesn't include a single commuting mile)
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #48
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
12k miles since March? Sorry you aren't liking your Versys.

(I've only put 18k on my DL, and that doesn't include a single commuting mile)

Commuting infers working. I don't commute. I took five road trips this season on the Versys. The KLR got 6000 miles in January and February from KC to Guatemala and back. There, 18,000.

-Todd at GuzziTech
Old 10-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #49
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
There, 18,000.

Congrats :-)
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:22 AM   #50
beep

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
DRZs and Wees are fine bikes, but not really comparable. If the 800 fits the bill of the riding you want to do, but your'e terrified by internet boogiemen, then go orange, either a 640 or 990 adv.
There a lot of truth in that, but if someone was scared of the internet boogieman, than they wouldn't be going for a KTM either There are just as many scare stories about them.

Unfortunately bad experiences are always going to get more attention than good ones, on the internet. For every horror story about a bike, there are a hundred satisfied owners. I've yet to see a proper horror story about the 800, just a few minor glitches which are all easily fixed. This shouldn't put anyone of the bike, the F650 is excellent, I'm sure the F800 is too.

The real killer for me however, is that the nearest BMW dealer is a long way away. Otherwise the F650 would be at the top of my shopping list, along with the equally good but considerably cheaper Vstrom.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #51
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beep
Otherwise the F650 would be at the top of my shopping list, along with the equally good but considerably cheaper Vstrom.
I like that bike a lot. If I wasn't so happy with my Versys, I would probably be going that way.

-Todd at GuzziTech
Old 10-10-2008, 07:22 AM   #52
donbcivil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Thanks for the tip. I guess I'll cancel my F800Gs order ASAP.
People complain on the net. It is the nature of the beast. All bikes have problems. My buddies new ST1300 had leaking base gaskets and a bad water pump. Doesn't mean that STs aren't reliable in general. Go ask a KLR dealer about the "doohickey" all you'll get is a blank stare. Looks like the main issue with the 800gs was a software update. My read on the bike from lurking on the lists is that it has a basically bullet proof motor and people love this bike.
Thanks for the intelligent response...others could learn from you.

Yeah I get that all bikes have problems, what I've been trying to gauge (which is hard without some kind of Consumer Reports type reliability survey) is whether 1) the F800s are having consistent problems and 2) how decisively BMW is addressing them. Both interesting questions when making a purchase of this size.
donbcivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #53
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbcivil
Yeah I get that all bikes have problems, what I've been trying to gauge ... is whether 1) the F800s are having consistent problems and 2) how decisively BMW is addressing them...
1) No.
2) see 1).
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #54
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
V-Strom: DL1000 as te 650 would be loaded down a bit too much for an EVERY DAY 2 UP ride. Sure the 650 can handle it, but the 1000 can handle it better (IMHO).

800GS, expensive when compared to others, but a great bike. Limited by Canbus (I hate computers on my bike). I just think the Strom is better on the wallet and your gonna get a great ride.

Sure the DL1000 is heavier, but it won't shrink your wallet as much, and it is comparable to the 1200GS in weight, which many have not had big problems with. I think the DL is 490 lbs (not sure), which is about 100 lbs more than the 800GS, but it doesn't sound like your gonna do 90% dirt riding or even 2% EXTREME dirt riding; gravel roads, NO PROBLEM.
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #55
kujo411
r1150gs

Oddometer: 106
hmm

Well, I don't do much two up riding (the wife left me because I spent too much time on the bike!), but I'll tell you this much - I sold my dl1000 to get a bmw r1150gs which I promptly dumped after riding the versys. The versys is hands down the most fun bike I have ever been on. In my humble opinion, bmw reliability these days leaves something to be desired. The dl is a better 2 up she goat, but the versys is much more fun and surprisingly good off road. But be careful, if you want to keep your wife I don't suggest test riding a versys!
kujo411 is offline   Reply With Quote