User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Dave92029 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
F650 vs F800 - backwards...DUH?

The F650GS has a detuned engine that develops it's power at lower rpm's than the F800GS. The F650 also weights several pounds less than the F800GS.

Usually aren't dirt oriented bikes better when the power is in the lower RPM range and weigh less than street bikes?

It just seems curious to me that BMW speced these two models the opposite way.

If BMW would have designated the F650GS the way they have with previous models wouldn't it have been called it the F800R model rather than F650GS? Creating an artifical association with their previous single cylinder model seems to have created confusion rather than any marketing advantage.

Guess this is why it is so much fun to be a BMW fan, because they seem to do so many things that make me say DUH? You just have to love them.
IBA #43
2013 Vespa 300ie S GTS
2014 G650GS
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,762
The F800GS is tuned, not the F650GS "detuned" As for the name, get over it.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
The F800GS is tuned, not the F650GS "detuned" As for the name, get over it.
I'd disagree - the F800 engine in other bikes produces similar power to the 800GS version, so the '650' is detuned?

And I have to agree with Dave - why call an 800cc bike a 650?!

If BMW really think that 'new riders' might be intimidated by an 800cc bike, then they don't really hold much regard for their customers? (obviously insurance companies know the new 650GS is really an 800...)

It is a strange world!

xxx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
...And I have to agree with Dave - why call an 800cc bike a 650?!... It is a strange world! ...
You and Dave wouldn't, by any chance, happen to be either engineers, IT 'types', accountants, bankers, tax inspectors or any profession that requires significant use of you left brain lobes would you?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Old 10-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
The F650GS twin was meant to target the F650GS sigle rider. The new bike was designed to replace the 650 single worldwide and BMW wanted to keep the customer focused on that bike. This works in other parts of the world, but will prove to be very confusing here for other reasons*

Remember the Ford Five Hundred sales sucking? Even though it was a completely new car they decided to go back to the once segment leading name of Taurus to give their customers a sense on continuity.

*This is just a guess.
BMW will have an updated (not much) F650GS single. I think it will use the G650 engine from the XChallenge,Moto,Country, but otherwise will be about the same as the F650GS that has been much loved in the US.

The other 650's? XChallenge, Moto & Country? They are finished.

I still think they should make a G650 Adventure with a big tank and luggage capacity for solo riders doing RTW trips. It would be a nice replacemnet for the 650 Dakar and help BMW compete against the upcoming KTM 690 Adventure.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Dave92029 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Laugh How could you tell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
You and Dave wouldn't, by any chance, happen to be either engineers, IT 'types', accountants, bankers, tax inspectors or any profession that requires significant use of you left brain lobes would you?
You found me out, I'm a retired CPA, accountant. The list of occupations you listed actually describes 90% of BMW's customer base.
IBA #43
2013 Vespa 300ie S GTS
2014 G650GS
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
.................................................. ..................
I still think they should make a G650 Adventure with a big tank and luggage capacity for solo riders doing RTW trips. It would be a nice replacemnet for the 650 Dakar and help BMW compete against the upcoming KTM 690 Adventure.
Exactly!
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
Wildman
In my castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92029
You found me out, I'm a retired CPA, accountant. The list of occupations you listed actually describes 90% of BMW's customer base.