ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
kruzuki OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
South Bend, Indiana info

Hey all.
My son's AAA ball team is playing at the 16U World Series on the 3rd week of July in South Bend.

We'll be there for a week, his mom's not going, the team is bussing it down, and I'll have a nice hotel room booked for me and the boy.

This is the perfect opportunity for a solo ride from Toronto. It's about 7 hours (easy!), and I'll be on my Boulevard C50.

What's there to see/do around there other than Notre Dame? Any nice roads off the interstates from my border crossing in Sarnia, ON to South Bend? And most importantly, Roadfood-type places along the way?

I can only stare at Google maps so much.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 1,958
Thats some really flat land across there and not much to see.
Now if you had an extra day or 2 to ride around the thumb and up to mackinaw city , then hit everything on lake michigan side and just run us31 south into South Bend, thats a good ride.
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Lucky j
n00b

Oddometer: 5
If you are talking thing to see, like museum and thing,

-In South Bend, the Studebaker museum
-If you would likt to learn how to white water kayak, just a couple of minute from the Stud museum is an artificial rapid by the St-Joseph River

-In Mishawaka, can not be visited, but nice to see from the street, the Hummer plant (Just to say that you know were it is)

-On your way from toronto, in Kalamazoo, The kalamazoo Air Zoo (air plane museum) Z-71 and more (indoor and outdoor display)

-Just south-East of south-bend in Napanee, (Amish Acre. Amish community interpretation center)

-About on hour from down-town chicago, you can even take a train from the airport in south-bend to chicago.

-If you like roller coasters, in Ohio (I know, it's a little detour) cedar point, in Sanduskee Ohio.

That's what I have on the top of my head for now.

And perso, for the road, 801 all the way to detroit and then 94, then I would reach 94, 69 in K-Zoo and 80-90 (toll) in Mishawaka or south-bend. That was from Quebec city.

Hope it helps.
Lucky j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
shil
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 140
Columbus, Indiana is really cool.

shil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 3,987
Backroads or interstate? I-94 flat out sucks! If you cross at Sarnia, and I would, and take back roads, and I would, it will take more than seven hours.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:50 AM   #6
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,455
Head west to the Lake Michigan shoreline towns of Michigan City and St. Joe, then north till you get sick of it. Saugatuck and Holland are cool lake front resort towns with a Cape Cod feel to them. Make sure you get up close and personal with the lake and the sand dunes. This is big tourist country so don't expect to make time as it's a pretty leisurely pace.

As mentioned above, to the east is Amish country. Certainly worth a ride. Amish Acres is a tourist trap. Go to Shipshewana, also a tourist trap, but the center of commerce for the community. They have several livestock auctions and a world class flea market. Make sure to ride the back roads, many are gravel. Watch out for buggies, horses, people on bikes and horse apples.

Notre Dame Football museum is reported to be pretty good if you're into football.

The RV Hall of Fame is in Elkhart just to the east.

Chicago is more than the previously reported hour and the ride in is not for the faint of heart.
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.

kfsinc screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 05:00 AM
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
Poweranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
US 12 is a nice ride West of Ann Arbor. You could take it all the way to the South Bend area. Lots of small historic towns along the way with small restaurants/diners.
Poweranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
kruzuki OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Thanks all.

The 7 hour ride is determined by a boring straight-line, fastest-way-to-get-there.

I'm more than happy to detour a couple hours on the way there, or stop for some cool museums & such, once I know what the team travelling arrangements are.
Once there, we're pretty occuppied with ball games. Fun, but gets boring watching one after another. Let's hope my boy puts on a good performance for the scouts!

I'm going to look into all your suggestions and come up with something entertaining.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
beezerjuice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Agree with Poweranger on U.S. 12 west from Ann Arbor. Another option is I-94 until Marshall, then I-69 down to M-60. Can also go further south and pick up U.S. 12. Both M-60 and U.S. 12 take you to Niles, MI, where you can pick up old U.S. 31 down to South Bend.
beezerjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 3,987
Seeing as your going to ride at warp speed be careful anywhere near Lansing. This is the state police home base and they patrol more here than anywhere else. I wish I could recomend a decent place to eat but can't think of anything right off hand? Good luck,
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote