ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #31
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 7,918
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #32
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 7,918
Some kind of meeting room, the stone fireplace was pretty incredible!

__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #33
Sikorsky
The Man.
 
Sikorsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: LMD, BC Canada
Oddometer: 215
I remember working out of Pickle Lake back in '85 as a dumbass apprentice AME with Central Air Transport. Me and 1 other apprentice taking care of 2 Otters, 2 Beavers and a Beech 18, just up the beach from Austin Airways base and right next door to the Pickle Lake Hotel ...... $4 for a 40oz pitcher of beer and and all the '70s disco you could want on the jukebox. A company house in Central Pat and an RM250 as a commuter ...... the RCMP had waaayy more important things to worry about with New Osnaburgh just down the road than my motorcross bike riding around town.

We had to take a run to Windigo to change out an engine on the Beech after a pilot completely toasted one engine while flying fish for the natives. Two guys, no dock, no crane, no help and nothing more than our minimal (apprentices, remember?) toolboxes. That's a whole other story though ........

We had a package show up in Pickle that had to be dropped off at some religious place along the way. On the east side of the highway if I remember correctly. The two of us showed up in a cloud of dust, unshaven and skidding the POS company truck in a 4 wheel drift as we flew into the little clearing in front of the school. The big impression was made by the gentleman approaching our chariot with a long gun of some kind, not quite pointed at us but not quite at rest either. Our departure was quite a bit more subdued than our arrival. Since "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver" is from the King James bible ....... chances are this is the same place.

The history of the settlement would be great to know.
Sikorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #34
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 7,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikorsky
I remember working out of Pickle Lake back in '85 as a dumbass apprentice AME with Central Air Transport. Me and 1 other apprentice taking care of 2 Otters, 2 Beavers and a Beech 18, just up the beach from Austin Airways base and right next door to the Pickle Lake Hotel ...... $4 for a 40oz pitcher of beer and and all the '70s disco you could want on the jukebox. A company house in Central Pat and an RM250 as a commuter ...... the RCMP had waaayy more important things to worry about with New Osnaburgh just down the road than my motorcross bike riding around town.

We had to take a run to Windigo to change out an engine on the Beech after a pilot completely toasted one engine while flying fish for the natives. Two guys, no dock, no crane, no help and nothing more than our minimal (apprentices, remember?) toolboxes. That's a whole other story though ........

We had a package show up in Pickle that had to be dropped off at some religious place along the way. On the east side of the highway if I remember correctly. The two of us showed up in a cloud of dust, unshaven and skidding the POS company truck in a 4 wheel drift as we flew into the little clearing in front of the school. The big impression was made by the gentleman approaching our chariot with a long gun of some kind, not quite pointed at us but not quite at rest either. Our departure was quite a bit more subdued than our arrival. Since "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver" is from the King James bible ....... chances are this is the same place.

The history of the settlement would be great to know.
Great post! i have to be "politically correct" on here, otherwise I could post more.

We definitely got the feeling that some strangeness happened there...
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #35
Sikorsky
The Man.
 
Sikorsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: LMD, BC Canada
Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron
i have to be "politically correct" on here, otherwise I could post more.
...
Using a line like that is chumming the hole, if you have to be PC, give us something..............
Sikorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #36
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 7,918
Is this the school you remember?


__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #37
calan818
All squint eyed&confused
 
calan818's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Manitoba, Canada (6 months of snow)
Oddometer: 1,014
Diggin it

Nice job Ron! You are becoming a favorite adventure rider story teller of mine. 2C is a bit cool for a ride as far north as you can go, but like you said, no bugs.
calan818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #38
Sikorsky
The Man.
 
Sikorsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: LMD, BC Canada
Oddometer: 215
23 years and what I remember best is a large man with a large gun.

I thought the school was yellow and smaller than that building though.....
Sikorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #39
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 7,918
Not really part of the ride report, but was this once a Beech 18?

We found it washed up on the shore near Graham.

__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #40
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 7,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikorsky
23 years and what I remember best is a large man with a large gun.

I thought the school was yellow and smaller than that building though.....
Could be yet another place i have to look for. I think this place was on the west side of the roadway.
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #41
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 7,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by calan818
Nice job Ron! You are becoming a favorite adventure rider story teller of mine. 2C is a bit cool for a ride as far north as you can go, but like you said, no bugs.
Well Kari is better at the storytelling than me, but i'll do my best.

I COULD tell this story better with more pictures, but it was just plain cold, so we were a bit lazy on that one.

Gotta give Bill credit, tough as nails, never complains.

We just do stupid stuff, and ride on.
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #42
Sikorsky
The Man.
 
Sikorsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: LMD, BC Canada
Oddometer: 215
Certainly looks like it may have been.

http://twinbeech18.com/For%20Sale/for%20sale.htm

That's in ugly shape. There's the remains of a Grumman Mallard about 3 miles from my house that looks a lot like that .......

A Beech 18 on floats is as graceful and as beautiful as a Super Connie in my eyes.

Thanks for the trip back to my younger days ...... keep those pictures coming and any info you can on that townsite.
Sikorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #43
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 7,918
Fascinated as Bill and i were with the place, we figured we had better get rolling.

We still had to make it back to Pickle Lake that night, or build a fire and sleep in our gear by the side of the road.

So roll we did.

A bit worried.

enough gas?

Can we make it before dark?
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #44
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground
 
ZZR_Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 7,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikorsky
Certainly looks like it may have been.

http://twinbeech18.com/For%20Sale/for%20sale.htm

That's in ugly shape. There's the remains of a Grumman Mallard about 3 miles from my house that looks a lot like that .......

A Beech 18 on floats is as graceful and as beautiful as a Super Connie in my eyes.

Thanks for the trip back to my younger days ...... keep those pictures coming and any info you can on that townsite.
Here's a Grumman Avenger crash, about 50 km from here...Bill and i rode up there a couple of years ago.




Here's a ride report i did back then...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203824
__________________
Great minds think alike;small minds seldom differ...
ZZR_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #45
Sikorsky
The Man.
 
Sikorsky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: LMD, BC Canada
Oddometer: 215
Those aircraft were/are massive. The leading edge is high enough for me, at 6' tall to stand under .... and its a low wing aircraft! I had a boss who had one in the Canadian Warplane Heritage and he brought it to Barrie when the new strip was opened. The largest single engine aircraft made if I remember correctly. The boss said he would burn 65 gallons of fuel to get that R-2600 lump just up to operating temp.

Also the late, great Paul Newman was supposedly rear gunner on one when the first A-bomb was dropped.

Back in NB they were used as budworm bombers. A pretty nasty load to be flying around and far too low all the time ....... too many augered in way back then.

BTW, how far north of Pickle was that town? Do you have coordinates?
Sikorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014