ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #16
Surly OP
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Hey Surly, Highland park is alot better than Wissy. Make sure you take the Husky though.
Hey I just looked on goole Maps and via "walking" mode which should get me off the highways its "only" 67 miles which isnt much more than the 50 to get to Whissenhunt. Maybe I shall go there on Sunday.

I found an old foam sleeping pad that I can supplement my seat with for the road miles

Anyone else going?

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #17
WoovsHoovs
RUN SILENT

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
Yeah I am looking into a trailer for that kinda trip. Their page made it seem like a mecca.

Highland Park Mecca?

Pretty close to it-and if not just give it a little more gas!
WoovsHoovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #18
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Let me see how my weekend pans out. If I can calm the boss down Sat., maybe we can hook up for Sunday. It's about 50 miles going the back way from my house.
Quote:
Hey I just looked on goole Maps and via "walking" mode which should get me off the highways its "only" 67 miles which isnt much more than the 50 to get to Whissenhunt. Maybe I shall go there on Sunday.

I found an old foam sleeping pad that I can supplement my seat with for the road miles

Anyone else going?
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #19
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
On Maps.google.com.....

Look at the 2200 block of Holcomb Bridge Road. There's a wooded area between Holcomb and Scott Rd. Not much, but it's certainly close.

Also, look up the areas around Tibble Mill Park in Gwinnett County. Click and drag North East of the park...look for Ewing Chapel Rd and Luke Edwards Rd....looks to be all sorts of trails in that area...

Anyway, food for thought....I live in the Grayson area, there's all sorts of little "best kept secrets" out there.
Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #20
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,684
Quote:

Anyone else going?
Hey Surly aka Scott, Congrats on the purchase (big thanks too!!) and if it comes time to upgrade that 2x4 of a padded seat, I gotta Gutz Racing setup (installation required) sitting on the shelf.

GAWantab aka Mike was one of the few who helped us breakin and sort out that press/demo fleet we had, so's he's pretty familiar with the HSQ lineup these days
Old 10-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #21
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

A BIG Thanks again for the the invite of a lifetime Bobby. It was good fun all day long. Now if I can just talk the wife into the WR 250 and a truck. We had another layoff Wed. after the ride. I made the cut, but being the last hire in my dept. is scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Hey Surly aka Scott, Congrats on the purchase (big thanks too!!) and if it comes time to upgrade that 2x4 of a padded seat, I gotta Gutz Racing setup (installation required) sitting on the shelf.

GAWantab aka Mike was one of the few who helped us breakin and sort out that press/demo fleet we had, so's he's pretty familiar with the HSQ lineup these days
Old 10-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #22
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,290
No one mentioned
http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/ or
http://www.durhamtown.com/ or
http://www.setra.org/ or
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194015

Alabama has a bunch of dirt roads that are fun to ride.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #23
Surly OP
surly adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta

Hola Bobby,
I might take you up on that seat. I have a piece of foam just to give my butt a break. Its a bit ghetto.
I'll probably stop in soon for some filters and hand guards. I will check out that seat them. Got something funny going on with my high beam Id like to ask about, maybe operator error.
I appreciate the level of service and letting my ride your personal bike. You guys are top notch.

Where is Surly?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #24
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 402
There're some powerlines a friend rides off of Jimmy Carter Blvd. but I'm not sure of the location. In South Atlanta (ITP) off Moreland Ave there's an abandoned prison farm with trails around it, and some more area South of there I have yet to explore. (The 'farm' is inside the perimeter.)

Acworth has 7 hills, which is roughly 45 minutes from you, and has a ton of stuff to ride. Mike (and some others on here) live around that area & could show you better than I.

HTH, Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #25
Surly OP
surly adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck
There're some powerlines a friend rides off of Jimmy Carter Blvd. but I'm not sure of the location. In South Atlanta (ITP) off Moreland Ave there's an abandoned prison farm with trails around it, and some more area South of there I have yet to explore. (The 'farm' is inside the perimeter.)

Acworth has 7 hills, which is roughly 45 minutes from you, and has a ton of stuff to ride. Mike (and some others on here) live around that area & could show you better than I.

HTH, Jeff
Thanks "Dude" I'll check them out on Google Maps when I get back from babiesRus (aka not at all motorcycle related money pit). I like the prison bit!

Where is Surly?
Old 12-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #26
Watson
Studly Adventurer

found some dirt...

google map Luther Wages Rd and Indian Sholes Rd. Traveling SE on Luther...turns to dirt...dead ends into an area with more dirt, but I wasn't in the mood to go over the anti-jeep berm to check the rest of the area. It's rainy/muddy today...I know..."whaaaaa"

Also, if you continue E/NE on New Hope Rd, it dead-ends into Harbins Rd. Turn right, then left on Drowning Creek Rd. Once you cross 316, you see a nice little dirt road wonderland...I traveled at least 7 miles of it. There's some trails running off these dirt roads in several spots. Very muddy...I didn't get to chec 'em all out. Google maps will show some of the dirt roads North of 316...Old Freeman Mill Rd is the maindirt road. It's not a lot, but it kept me busy for a couple of hours, and I was happy to find it since it's 10 minutes from my house.

Sorry, no pics...

Watson screwed with this post 12-28-2008 at 03:50 PM
Old 12-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #27
Surly OP
surly adventurer

You mean here?
Luther Wages Rd, Dacula, Georgia 30019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watson
found some dirt...

google map Luther Wages Rd and Indian Sholes Rd. Traveling SE on Luther...turns to dirt...dead ends into an area with more dirt, but I wasn't in the mood to go over the anti-jeep berm to check the rest of the area. It's rainy/muddy today...I know..."whaaaaa"

Also, if you continue E/NE on New Hope Rd, it dead-ends into Harbins Rd. Turn right, then left on Drowning Creek Rd. Once you cross 316, you see a nice little dirt road wonderland...I traveled at least 7 miles of it. There's some trails running off these dirt roads in several spots. Very muddy...I didn't get to chec 'em all out. Google maps will show some of the dirt roads North of 316...Old Freeman Mill Rd is the maindirt road. It's not a lot, but it kept me busy for a couple of hours, and I was happy to find it since it's 10 minutes from my house.

Sorry, no pics...

Where is Surly?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #28
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Look http://www.mapquest.com/beta for Luke Edwards off of New Hope Road it turns into Loth Wages at the walton county line. I would wait till after the new year, because alot of people hunt in there. Also you will need to watch out for 2x4's with nails on the Loth Wages side where the 4 wheeler trails take you around the dirt humps. You can ride the powerline to Ozora Church if the river is not to deep. This is outlaw stuff though, but I have never had a problem. I also just cut through, and don't hang around though.
Quote:
You mean here?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 AM   #29
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You mean here?
Yes, that's the spot. It's a short run to the area where I ended up turning around...not much, but there seemed to be sompotential past that little berm.

Much more to stick yer nose into HERE - several trails coming off that dirt road....just do the terrain view...you can see some of 'em.

...this is bush-league stuff, but not bad considering how close it is (to me, at least).
Old 12-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #30
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Look http://www.mapquest.com/beta for Luke Edwards off of New Hope Road it turns into Loth Wages at the walton county line. I would wait till after the new year, because alot of people hunt in there. Also you will need to watch out for 2x4's with nails on the Loth Wages side where the 4 wheeler trails take you around the dirt humps. You can ride the powerline to Ozora Church if the river is not to deep. This is outlaw stuff though, but I have never had a problem. I also just cut through, and don't hang around though.
....ah, oh yeah...I made a mental note to checkout Luke Edwards/Loth Wages when I continued E/NE on Indian Shoals....but once I got to the Drowning Creek/Old Freeman Mill, I forgot to come back here. Lots of terrain S/SE of Luke/Loth...probably posted, but will still check it out.

I totally forgot about deer season, though....