User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
IckyBob OP
Yes please

Oddometer: 721
Clunking from front end

A clunk is the best way I can describe this noise. It's evident off road at slow speed especially on rocks. The only thing I can think of is its the front floating rotors. Am I right? What else could it be. All new wheel bearings and Ohlins front forks. If it is the rotors, how can I remedy this? They floating rotors move quite a bit by hand if I grab them. I feel like I am off roading in a jingle truck sometimes because of this clunking at slow speeds.
IckyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
That is common with our bikes. Dirt in the rotors helps quiet it down and eliminates the rotor floating slop. Now go ride some mud!

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
IckyBob OP
Yes please

that was 8am to noon today. All off road and boy was she muddy and rocky and sandy. And awesome!!! I'm not the only pervert here who rides his 800 off road 80% of the time am I?

I was pretty sure it had to be the front rotors, but my usual motorbike OCD had gotten the best of me and I've been sweating it all afternoon.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
PastRedline
Wanderer

Oddometer: 55
I'd also double check those steering head bearings, if the noise is still bugging you.

On centerstand, get front wheel in the air, then try to rock it back to front. There should be no noticeable play.

Other thing, if you have a scott's damper - I crashed one time and tweaked the little rubber inserts in the top triple - that caused the damper to then be really close to the plastic and then it would cause all sorts of squeaking, bumping noises because it kept hitting the plastic. Loosen/remove the inserts and then reinstall solved the issue for me.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
IckyBob OP
Yes please

Where do I check for play in the steering head? I have no damper so I can rule that out.

If it's the rotors and that's just the way it is I can live with that, albeit still slightly annoyed. My rotors seem to have 1-2mm play in them. Enough that I can make the 'clunk' with my hand.

Cheers fellas.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
You ever see how a worn out chain that starts loose on a clean bike turns super tight when riding in mud. I have several times and mud really does get in the floating rotor mounts and quiets up the banging.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
Strawdog
Strawdog

Oddometer: 125
Wicked

Front forks make a clunking noise this known issue mine did this just put in Progressive Springs not as bad. Saying that I did have issues with steering head bearings as well at 25000 miles. It took me couple hours to get eliminate what was the issue.
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:51 PM   #8
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,758
rotors.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #9
TR5ESU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
It's early and don't have the wheel in front of me right now.. but if I remember correctly, I was bothered by this noise as well when I first got the bike and someone mentioned the floating rotors too.
To put my mind at easy I zipped tied the rotors so they wouldn't float and went for a quick spin around the block hitting at many potholes as I could (without using the front brake!).. so nice and quiet!
Once you know for sure the noise is the rotors they don't bother you any more :-D
TR5ESU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
samalama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
It's the rotors. I confirmed this by riding down my dirt road and listening for the clunk. Then rode same section of road with front brakes lightly applied. Clunk goes away. I have taken apart my forks and replaced the springs with heavier duty ones and 10 wt oil as I bottomed out too much. They didn't have one part that moved about enough to make any noise.
samalama is offline   Reply With Quote