Old 09-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #421
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeK_InsiDe View Post
Thank's a lot ;)

Is it really waterproof?

How is the inside? With a dry liner like the BMW one?

But I can see that the Companero has only 2 clips at the front? At the rear there are only loops?
That thing came with me through snow, heavy rain and even fell with my bike in a watercrossing and turned out to be 100% waterproof.

There is no inner liner (like in the BMW), but a hard brace. Would need to take some pictures by day to show what I mean.

To secure it you have two clips and a "scratch" thing on the under part (look at the pics above). And then "for offroad use" (their saying) you can strap it to the bike due to straps giving with the tankbag.

Si je me rappelle bien tu étais du coté français de la Suisse non? Bon alors en gros la sacoche est étanche en elle même. Il n'y a pas de couche intérieure de protection mais vraiment un arceau rigide qui sert à maintenir la forme. Je suppose que tu dois avoir la meme chose sur le tiens. Il est vraiment bien, sauf que le prix est lui aussi vraiment exagéré. Je suis vraiment satisfait. Plein de rangements et tout le blabla Touratech qui va bien. Meme de quoi le transporter en 'sac à dos'.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #422
jkgroove
Adventure

Oddometer: 30
Wolfmann Timberwolf

I use the Timberwolf on my 2014. Plenty of storage, removable side pockets. It is a tight fit, but does work. Still allows for a clear view of the instrument panel. The occasional accidental horn honk does come with this size bag.
jkgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #423
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
So I've researched a lot about this and I am none the wiser. What I am looking for is a simple tankbag with the following needs:

1) Need to store some small electronics, spare batteries, a DSLR and two lens. Nothing too huge, 8-10 litres should be way more than enough
2) Waterproof without a additional cover (since this is my camera bag)
3) Having a backpack attachment is a strong bonus for the treks off the bike
4) A pocket where I can route charging cables for camera batteries and my life will be perfect
5) And yes, an obligatory map window too please

I've been looking at every solution posted here, and ticking off items from the list one by one because they don't meet one or the other conditions. Am I asking for too much? Someone surely must be making such a tank bag
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #424
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
Kreiga US-10 can be used as a tankbag (with optional adapter) and part of a backpack system with their hydration pack. Totally waterproof, but no map pocket. Their US-20 would work as well if you need bigger.
cchoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #425
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Giant Loop Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
That's something I really like about the Giant Loop tank bags. They are cut forward to stay out of the way.

The Diablo (Fandango's little brother) is 1.5" lower. Might be a tight squeeze for your camera though.

Dave
On my F800GS, I am running the Giant Loop Diablo which is smaller than the Fandango. I have it mounted forward on the faux tank and it works well for me. Accessing the ignition key is a bit tight, but I am used to it now and assume that may be true with any tank bag.

I typically carry:
~2-3 maps
~10 mm wrench
~1 liter of H2O
~travel documents
~charger for iPhone
~iPhone
~GoPro Camera
~pair of extra gloves
~small bag of trail mix
~2 energy bars
~wool scarf
~a few extra batteries
~tire pressure guage
~pocket knife

Following are a few photos of the Giant Loop Diablo:
With 1 map and 1 Cannon EOS Rebel T2i.
Plenty of extra room. Would suggest a pad or scarf on the bottom.
Also would suggest seam sealing the seams for camera gear.
[IMG][/IMG]

Giant Loop Diablo on F800GS:
[IMG][/IMG]

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #426
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchoc View Post
Kreiga US-10 can be used as a tankbag (with optional adapter) and part of a backpack system with their hydration pack. Totally waterproof, but no map pocket. Their US-20 would work as well if you need bigger.
Thanks for the pointer. I watched the product overview video at http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-us-10-drypack, but I don't see how it gets converted to a backpack. Did I miss anything? I am willing to forgo the map pocket, but converting it to a backpack allows me to pack light, and becomes super convenient.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #427
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
Thanks for the pointer. I watched the product overview video at http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kriega-us-10-drypack, but I don't see how it gets converted to a backpack. Did I miss anything? I am willing to forgo the map pocket, but converting it to a backpack allows me to pack light, and becomes super convenient.
To convert to a backpack you have to mount it to their hydration pack. I have one and really like it - great bite valve, much better than Camelback. I haven't tried mounting my US-10 to it, I have two and use them on top of my panniers for extra storage.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #428
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
To convert to a backpack you have to mount it to their hydration pack. I have one and really like it - great bite valve, much better than Camelback. I haven't tried mounting my US-10 to it, I have two and use them on top of my panniers for extra storage.
Oh. So that brings the total to 139 + 99 + 35. Man, thats a lot of cash for a tankbag, plus I have to carry a 10 litre backpack that I am trying to avoid. I'll keep looking, but its nice to have a fallback option if nothing else works out.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #429
peteace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I like my SW Motech / Bags Connection tank bag, which I bought already for my previous F800GS and transferred to the F800GSA. I also added the electric "tankring" to it this summer. The model is called "city" (what a shame ).

It's really fast and convenient to attach and remove. It's not waterproof, but comes with a waterproof cover which can be used on a heavy rain. On my experience it can hold mild rain by itself.

I don't ride too much standing on the pegs (hopefully it will change when I add the Rox Risers), but it does not get on the way when doing so.

peteace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #430
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
Oh. So that brings the total to 139 + 99 + 35. Man, thats a lot of cash for a tankbag, plus I have to carry a 10 litre backpack that I am trying to avoid. I'll keep looking, but its nice to have a fallback option if nothing else works out.
I use a Wunderlich 'elephant' tankbag but it requires a waterproof cover. It can be used as a backpack and has slits to run a connection from your powerlet inside the bag.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #431
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I use a Wunderlich 'elephant' tankbag but it requires a waterproof cover. It can be used as a backpack and has slits to run a connection from your powerlet inside the bag.
I finally pulled the trigger on an Ortlieb tank bag. This tankbag and the backpack attachment is what I ended up getting. The stuff should arrive in a couple of weeks, and I am looking forward to field test this as soon as I get it
Old 12-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #432
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609

Wolfman Tank bag. Half the price of the BMW one, and about 4 times as useful.

My BMW one had the stitching let go during an "incident" that was only minor. I went full retard and kicked the shit out of it and the bike, then drop kicked the bag off a cliff. It's still out there....somewhere.

The BMW bag was typical German pricing/Chinese quality.

The Wolfman bag has been faultless. Easier to use, more versatile, water proof, has a better storage system with a velcro bag under the top lid, that I keep all the toiletries in for trips.

Did I mention it was almost half the price of the BMW bag?

There's the BMW bag way back when. Packed for a heavy camping trip.

Snowy screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 02:57 PM
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #433
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,275
F800gs Tank bag...got one you like? tell us about it!

I hate seeing the straps. Wunderlich is better as far as hiding the mount and BMW has a very cool set up but yes both are costly. I had the Winderlich but now the BMW tank bag.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #434
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I have the large wolfman expedition tank bag. I had the small one on there before I bought large one. I liked the small one so much I put it on my klr250 and bought the large for the GS. I like how the straps are easy to get to with the quick release buckles. Makes for quick removal.

Small tank bag

Large tank bag

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #435
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
I have the large wolfman expedition tank bag. I had the small one on there before I bought large one. I liked the small one so much I put it on my klr250 and bought the large for the GS. I like how the straps are easy to get to with the quick release buckles. Makes for quick removal.

Small tank bag

Large tank bag
I really wish I had gone with the wolfman. I bought a wolman medium duffel and it is awesome. Totally durable and waterproof. I bought the GL fandango, which looks great on the bike, but it leaks like a sieve even after a whole tube of seam sealer.
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote