Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #61
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Mine leaked after 5 hours in torrential rain
Well, while tipping my lid to Noel Coward, there is a something afterall to 'laid back Californian' and 'mad dogs and Englishmen' ... 5 hours of rain is a months worth here in California.

Were you able to figure out where the leak originated? Just for the hell of it I pulled the clear rain cover from my bmw 1150 tankbag and it fits nicely on the F800's.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #62
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
Well, while tipping my lid to Noel Coward, there is a something afterall to 'laid back Californian' and 'mad dogs and Englishmen' ... 5 hours of rain is a months worth here in California.

Were you able to figure out where the leak originated? Just for the hell of it I pulled the clear rain cover from my bmw 1150 tankbag and it fits nicely on the F800's.
It was French rain and when you've got to get home you've got to get home!

Don't know where the water got in but it was right at the bottom-most point of the bag next to me; a couple on inches up the lining on either side of sodden dampness.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #63
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
I came across the BEE stuff on Ebay and got one for my BCR. When I was waiting for my F8 to arrive I was in the local BMW dealer and slipped the BEE tankbag onto their demo. With a minor mod to the base and getting a friend of mine to remove the single attach point from the rear of the bag and sew one on each side at the rear I have a bag that fits like a glove, gives great access to the key and power socket and doesn't sit up too high even when its expanded. It has a waterproof reasonably large map/GPS pocket, a hydration pac hole and its very well made and ended up only costing AUD$65!!

Pics show side view and over top shot.

And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:38 PM   #64
Fireman
Shazaam!

Oddometer: 97
Oops, forum foul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
How about some pix, Fireman? From all angles. How does the ignition key fit? How wide is the map pocket, and how easy (or hard) is it to slide a folded map into it? I've torn more maps trying to shoehorn them into map packets designed by morons than I care to count. How do the straps attach, and how much hassle is it to remove the bag? Info, man. Info!

David
Sheesh I shoulda known by now that I'd be obliged to send some pics. Unfortunately I'm not in the vicinity of my bike or camera right now so I'll have to work it out in the next couple of days but here's an answer to some of your questions;

The ignition key is clear and easy to reach, as is the powerlet. The bars do not even hit the bag when fully locked. The map pocket is small, however, but it has velcro the full width of the opening, so if you fold a map small enough to go in, it will slide out without catching and tearing. I've had good luck using smaller state park maps and regional tourism maps, but nothing larger yet. If I recall correctly, Wolfman has a good selection of add-on map pockets that may be better/bigger. I'll tell you what though, the zippers get abused thoroughly and the bag is routinely over-stuffed, and the damn thing still looks like new and refuses to budge, even on high-speed firetrails. Pictures soon I promise. Merry Christmas everyone!
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #65
Fireman
Shazaam!

Thumb One more thing

Right. Forgot the last question.
The front strap goes around the head tube and uses a fastex buckle, which of course is easy to pop on and off. The rear has two fastex buckles which come from the two little brackets holding the "tank" on. Those straps come right out from under the two pointy parts at the front of the seat. So if you can imagine, the buckles are the only part of the strap that you can actually see between the rear of the bag and the front of the seat. That's why it is such a clean mount, and really looks like part of the bike. Three quick-snap buckles and it's off, easy as pie. The only thing that slows me down putting it on is threading that front strap through the steering head without catching a bunch of cables.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #66
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
Right. Forgot the last question.
The front strap goes around the head tube and uses a fastex buckle, which of course is easy to pop on and off. The rear has two fastex buckles which come from the two little brackets holding the "tank" on. Those straps come right out from under the two pointy parts at the front of the seat. So if you can imagine, the buckles are the only part of the strap that you can actually see between the rear of the bag and the front of the seat. That's why it is such a clean mount, and really looks like part of the bike. Three quick-snap buckles and it's off, easy as pie. The only thing that slows me down putting it on is threading that front strap through the steering head without catching a bunch of cables.
Fireman, instead of using the one strap and having to feed it around the steering headstock, I cut the strap on mine and had a loop sewn on each end.
That allows the 2 straps to attach to the frame rails down in front of the "tank" and all you do is unclip the 4 points and the bag is off.
How you describe the rear of the bag sounds like the setup in my pics. Very neat and nothing to snag on, although my straps go down and loop around the frame rails where the little plastic side-covers fit on and do not use the points you mention.
Bigem
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #67
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Thanks for all that info about the bag, Fireman. Sounds like it hits your sweet spot!

The size of the bag looks ideal too, but for me the map pocket is like many of them: way too small. And according to someone I spoke to at Wolfman, the Enduro is the only one of their bags that DOESN'T accept their larger map pockets.

For the life of me, I can't understand my these bag designers don't seem to be able to design a small tank bag with a map pocket that holds a "spread" of a standard road map, i.e., two panels. If I'm traveling west-to-east, I don't want to stop every 60 miles, wrestle the map out (and tear it in the process), do some stupid origami tricks with it in the howling wind, and then try to stuff it back in through some lilliputian mail slot.

I guess I'm back to waiting for Wunderlich to finally finish that cup of coffee and ship theirs.

Happy Christmakwanzukkah, everyone!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #68
Fireman
Shazaam!

Nice, Bigem

You may have hit on something really good, Bigem. I happen to have a sewing machine so maybe I'll look at the possibilities.

Wood, yeah it hits my sweet spot. And if you read all my other posts it probably sounds like everything hits my sweet spot. But I do a whole lot of research before buying everything so when I finally buy, it's usually awesome. Thanks to this forum, of course. On an unrelated note, I got Hepco&Becker's wire mesh headlight guard for Christmas today, and it's frickin' great. Don't get one, though, 'cause I'm hoping to set my bike apart from the other SOMEhow.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #69
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Thanks for all that info about the bag, Fireman. Sounds like it hits your sweet spot!

The size of the bag looks ideal too, but for me the map pocket is like many of them: way too small. And according to someone I spoke to at Wolfman, the Enduro is the only one of their bags that DOESN'T accept their larger map pockets.

For the life of me, I can't understand my these bag designers don't seem to be able to design a small tank bag with a map pocket that holds a "spread" of a standard road map, i.e., two panels. If I'm traveling west-to-east, I don't want to stop every 60 miles, wrestle the map out (and tear it in the process), do some stupid origami tricks with it in the howling wind, and then try to stuff it back in through some lilliputian mail slot.

I guess I'm back to waiting for Wunderlich to finally finish that cup of coffee and ship theirs.

David
Small bag means small top for attaching the map pocket. I've got the Enduro bag on my DR-Z and it's way too narrow for a full-sized map pocket. The pocket would be flapping in the breeze. Seems the Denali is Wolfman's best fit for the GS8 right now and he's supposedly re-designing it some, so stay tuned.

Just for grins, I dropped my large Wolfman Expedition bag on the GS's 'tank' and it fits pretty good if you want a big bag (and a big map pocket ). It really fills the space, maybe a little too much, but there are no exterior pockets to get in the way. Might tie it down this weekend and see how it rides.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #70
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,676
I tried out a Wolfman Expedition (small) this weekend.
Fit is great. Quality is great. It is small, but I managed to get everything I needed in there.
Riding the pegs isn't the greatest, but that is probably true w/ most tank bags.

2 thumbs up!

I'll get a photo posted later.
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #71
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I hate tall tank bags - are there any good options for something like the Motofizz "map" tank bags - about 2-4" high, with a big map panel top? I've only seen Motofizz magnetic units ...
jeffchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #72
mrpete64
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Not STRAPS!!

Talked to the guys at Twisted Throttle and they will have out, shortly, a snap on tank bag system for the 800 GS. I would call them and ask when it will be out.
I am waiting for that system...including all the electrical "stuff" that will go into the bag..along with the GPS bracke that fits on the bag.

Mr. Pete--->
aging hippie
mrpete64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #73
Fireman
Shazaam!

Quote:

David
I know it's a little late, but here are a couple pics of my Wolfman tankbag. It's small, but that means it never comes off, which means it's always there when I need it. Kinda more valuable that way.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #74
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
I know it's a little late, but here are a couple pics of my Wolfman tankbag. It's small, but that means it never comes off, which means it's always there when I need it. Kinda more valuable that way.
Thanks for those pix, Fireman. If it had a bigger map pocket, it'd be just the ticket.

I've given up on the Wunderlich tank bag. Not only is it much bigger than I was hoping, way too big to do any standing on the pegs. But they want a whopping US$249 for it!

On the German Wunderlich site is sells for 129, which works out to just about US$170 at the current exchange rate. So somebody's planning on making a tidy profit off of that item. But not from me!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #75
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,101
I generally hate tank bags. I don't like a big, fat bag in front of me, between my arms, interfering with controlling the bike and seeing the instruments.

But when touring, it's nice to be able to have quick access to some things and to have a spot to put your camera battery charger. I tried a Sargent tank bag, but it was too big. It was nice having all that space, but having a 30" inseam, it got in the way big time when I was getting on and off the bike.

Once I got my luggage installed, the need was less, so I ditched the Sargent, but I missed having a spot for the camera charger, especially since I can rip through 3 batteries in a day. In really cold weather, I'm lucky to get 6 shots out of a full charge. In normal weather, 60 or so is normal.

After some net searching, I found the Fieldsheer Mini Tank Bag:

It's small (under 3" in height), so it can't hold much, but it doesn't get in the way, either. I put the charger in the small compartment and my phone, camera case and sunglasses in the larger compartment. It's worked pretty well for me so far.

I don't need a map compartment, I have a Zumo 550 for navigation with street and topo maps. I can still carry a paper map, but I'd have to stop to refer to it anyways, so stashing it in the bag doesn't seem much of a drawback for how I roll.

Everyone has different needs and preferences and mine seem to be considerably different than most, but I figured I'd share what I found in case someone finds it of interest.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote