Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Wolfman Rainier

Here are some pics of the Wolfman Rainier:

Side Picture

Another side Pic

From the seat

Last side pic

NOTE: The blue van is one of the reasons why I got to buy a new bike If I keep it running long enough(the van that is), then I hopefully will get a new ktm 690 adventure(if it is ever built) to go with the F800GS.

I like the bag, nicely made, fits well on the bike and doesn't seem to get in the way for normal riding. I haven't taken it offroad, so I can't comment on that yet. It is good size and expandable as well.
2004 TTR125 (son's bike)
Past Rides:
2004 950 S GO!!!! (Incredible bike that I really miss)
1995 VFR 750 (love the v-4 sound !)
1987 Hurricane 1000
1988 Hurricane 600
1985 VF500F
sgopher185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #107
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgopher185
I like the bag, nicely made, fits well on the bike and doesn't seem to get in the way for normal riding. I haven't taken it offroad, so I can't comment on that yet. It is good size and expandable as well.
Thanks for the pix, sgopher185. Can you tell me about mounting/unmounting it? What's left on the bike if you decide to take the bag off temporarily? How cumbersome is the operation?

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #108
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,731
Wolfman Expedition (small)

johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:14 AM   #109
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdowning
The Wunderlich bag arrived today. Didn't have a chance to put it on but it seems like a solid well constructed piece of equipment. At least now if you are interested you know they are being shipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Lots and lots of pix, please.

David
Where's the pics!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:27 AM   #110
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgopher185
Here are some pics of the Wolfman Rainier:

From the seat

Last side pic

Don't know if you've sussed it yet, but your map pocket is on the wrong way round
Old 03-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #111
sgopher185
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
Don't know if you've sussed it yet, but your map pocket is on the wrong way round
Yeah. I have fixed it since taking the pics
2004 TTR125 (son's bike)
Past Rides:
2004 950 S GO!!!! (Incredible bike that I really miss)
1995 VFR 750 (love the v-4 sound !)
1987 Hurricane 1000
1988 Hurricane 600
1985 VF500F
sgopher185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #112
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Wunderlich F800GS Tank Bag

OK. I just received the new Wunderlich F800GS/F650GS Tank Bag from Wunderlich America. I've been waiting since I got the bike in November for this bag and it finally came in. I even paid a bit less than I expected, at $189. I'm on my lunch break at work, on a snowy day, and do not have my bike with me so I can't show any photos of it on the bike. I hope to strap it on this evening, but until then here's a few photos of some details that can't be seen from the Wunderlich publicity shots on the web:

This is a photo of the whole bag, assembled and ready to go on the bike--front on the left, rear to the right. It's rather big--larger than I thought. That's actually alright by me, as I like a big tank bag. The sheet of paper I have in the map holder is the 8 1/2" by 11" installation instructions. The map pocket unzips 180 degrees to allow for easy insertion of maps. It's also clear on both sides, so you can easily flip it over and re-fasten to the bag to see the other side of the map. Way cool.

This shows the front of the bag with the strap that goes around the front of the bike frame easily seen. You can see a handle, with "Wunderlich" sewn into it. The handle is very nicely padded. The zipper above the right strap has an audio cable access port behind it.

Here's the rear of the bag--the end that sits next to the rider. You can see the two straps that feed under the seat and attach to two slots on the bike. One of the main reasons I wanted this bag is that I can't stand long straps flopping in the wind. These are completely hidden from view once the seat is in place.

Here's the bottom of the bag and attached mounting "plate". This appears to be a slick vinyl that I'm sure is supposed to reduce scratches. Front on top, back on bottom.

Here I've taken the mounting plate off and the bag is on it's side. Front to the right and back to the left. You can easily see the padded handle. Even though most of the bottom of the bag will not touch the bike, it still has the vinyl surface. The funky flap sticking out is used to affix the bag to the mounting "plate". It slides into pockets in the mount and then clips into the front of the bag.

This is the mount, lying top up, front to the left. You can see the "pocket" that the flap slides into. It's rather a nifty design, I think.

OK. Here's the bag opened up. You can see the removable accessory bag slid into the flap on the lid. Also nifty.

Here's a somewhat blurry (sorry) shot of the accessory bag taken out of the lid. It can easily be removed and taken with you if needed.

Here's an interior photo of the front left corner of the bag. Yup. It sure is blue... You can see the audio cable port I mentioned earlier along with a mysterious zipper to access yet another pocket.

Unzipping the interior pocket reveals a very flat space, perhaps to store papers and documents, with a thin plastic stiffener. Looks removable if you don't want the bag to have stiff sides.

Lastly, the bag unzips around the circumference to expand upwards quite a ways. Because I don't have anything in it, it's rather scrunched down, but I would estimate it is twice the volume when expanded. You can also see the double-sided nature of the map pocket, which can be easily detached from the rear of the bag. This allows access to the space underneath.

All in all, I am very, very satisfied with this bag. Of course, I feel that way about all the Wunderlich farkles I've bought over the years. I think the quality, design, and price of this bag is better than the TouraTech bag I had with my F650GS Dakar. The letter "W" may come late in the alphabet, but it beats "TT" this time.

Any questions, just ask...

Eurastus screwed with this post 03-26-2009 at 12:18 PM
Eurastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #113
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurastus
Any questions, just ask...
Thanks, Eurastus! Those are some great pix!

When you get a chance to mount it on your bike, please post some more. I had pretty much eliminated the Wunderlich from consideration because their original price was so much higher than the rest, but $189 (though still a bit on the high side) is much more within range.

Now for the questions:

Will you still be able to stand on the pegs without bumping into it? It looks narrow in the rear, so I'm thinking it should be OK.

How waterproof do you think it'll be? They say 100% waterproof on their web site. But they also sell a rain cover. So hose it down for me, willya?

How fidgety is that map case? I love the size, and the ability to flip it over. But how do you think it'll behave when you have to change maps in a wind storm? For that matter, will it stay attached in a wind storm?

That's all for now. Thanks again for those pix (and for being first). You rock!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly

WoodWorks screwed with this post 03-26-2009 at 11:54 AM
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #114
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Quote:
Thanks, Eurastus! Those are some great pix! When you get a chance to mount it on your bike, please post some more.
Sure enough. As I said, I hope to have it mounted as soon as I get home from work. Pending the snow storm and ambient light by then, I'll take pictures. As a last resort, I may have to take the photos in the garage. We'll see if the oldest boy can run a camera and get some shots with me up on the pegs.

Eurastus screwed with this post 03-26-2009 at 12:20 PM
Old 03-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #115
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Quote:
How fidgety is that map case? I love the size, and the ability to flip it over. But how do you think it'll behave when you have to change maps in a wind storm? For that matter, will it stay attached in a wind storm?
Oh yea. I think the map pocket is as well designed as it could be. It is opened by a zipper, which has that "waterproof" rubber cover. Very easy to load and move the paper around. As to the attachment, it won't budge once it's all strapped up. There's a long Velcro attachment in the front, a clip in the back, as well as four attachments on the side as you can see from these photos.

Eurastus screwed with this post 03-26-2009 at 12:21 PM
Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #116
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
I think you just made up my mind on which bag I want.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #117
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS
I think you just made up my mind on which bag I want.
Me too. Thanks Eurastus; nice write-up.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #118
Betelgeuse
Don't Panic

Oddometer: 214
Suspicions confirmed

I've been dithering around about a tank bag since last fall. I rode up to Whitehorse Gear and looked at Cortech and Marsee; no go on either. I have a Wolfman Enduro on my 640 but it's a pain to take it off and even the newer ones mount the same way. I've wanted to stay away from the "Borat look" and finally settled on the Wunder-lick. Mostly for the mounting, but size, looks and "moisture proof" sold me. So I ordered it this morning and when I went on line this afternoon there you were confirming my excellent decision. Thanks Eurastus.
Betelgeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #119
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Just ordered mine too.

I think you should hit them up for some freebies for generating all the sales as a result of your reviews.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #120
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Wunderlich F800GS/F650GS Tank Bag Mounted

Got home, stepped out of the car, and immediately installed the tank bag. Here you go:

Here's the under-seat fastening. You can see the two straps from the mounting plate that attach to the existing plastic loops on the bike. This is so straightforward that I can't understand why other bag manufacturers don't use the same method. The middle strap is used to attach the bag to the mount later on. You'll see.

You can see how tight the mount fits to the seat. I like it!

Here's how tight the front of the mount fits. Not much room for the key. Again, you'll see this better later.

Here's the bag on the bike. Very secure and easy to mount. It turns out Wunderlich has designed two separate ways to fasten the bag to the mount. The easiest way is to just clip it on. Goes on and off in seconds. However, in my opinion, it's so easy to take off that I'd be afraid it'd get stolen. So, I used the more secure method that holds down all four corners of the bag using Velcro straps sewn into the mounting plate routed through D-rings sewn onto the bag. As we've seen, the two lower straps go under the seat (I didn't get a good picture of the D-rings here) and cannot be removed without getting under the saddle, which, of course, is locked. This seems much more secure to me.

Other side of the bike. I think it looks good.

A closer shot from the same angle. You can see how the center strap at the back of the mount runs up and locks the bag onto the mount. If I hadn't used the D-ring method, this would be all that holds down the rear of the bag.

Here's a close-up of the front mount. You can see the straps on both side holding the D-rings tight. This bag is going nowhere! The center clip is shown as well. Without the D-ring method, this is all that holds the bag on.

Yet another close-up of the key area. Yes, the power port will open...just barely. This is real tight in here. I've been using a key ring with two other motorcycle keys and one of those pocket-sized garage door openers. No longer. All this will fit, again just barely, but it's a hassle to turn the key. I'll have to pare down my key ring.

Final photo. As you can see, the morning's snowstorm is long over and all is melted away.

WoodWorks asked about how it feels standing on the pegs. Well, if I had any shorter legs, I'd be hitting this bag right where it'd hurt. As it is, the bag hits my thighs just under my crotch if I lean just the slightest bit forward while standing up. It dosen't bother me, but I'm not all that active while standing. I wear 32" inseam jeans, if that'll help. Later, I'll try and get my boy to take a photo while on the pegs.

More questions?

Eurastus screwed with this post 03-26-2009 at 06:31 PM