User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
skyfish OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
F800GS complaints...

Okay, I have my '09 F800GS for three weeks now, and I truly love the bike. But, I've got a few observations questioning BMW engineering for the new F*/GS bikes. I've noticed that deploying the sidestand while sitting on the bike requires leaning the bike past vertical to the right side to get the stand down, (sidestand too long???). And the F800GS seems to be much more top heavy, (i.e. leaning the bike at a stop past the point-of-no-return), much more than the F650GS or ther R1200GS. The suspension is significantly higher than its predicessors, so a large majority of the weight has been moved vertically to accomodate the higher ground clearance. Even though the fuel tanks are located low on the frame of the bike, it still feels somewhat top-heavy in stand-still leans.

Any UKGSers seeing this?

Thanks,

Dave M.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,626
Hi Dave

Slightly agree regarding the bike being "top-heavy" despite the fuel cell being under the seat. Particularly noticeable with luggage on the seat behind you as with mine on a recent trip.

Problem (if it is a problem) has been cured for me with panniers which have really stabilised the bike.

No problem with the side stand except on a camber. I find the bike lays over a little too much on the side stand so it could be BMW have corrected that with the "09" version and created the reverse problem.

Still loving it!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfish
I've noticed that deploying the sidestand while sitting on the bike requires leaning the bike past vertical to the right side to get the stand down, (sidestand too long???). And the F800GS seems to be much more top heavy, (i.e. leaning the bike at a stop past the point-of-no-return), much more than the F650GS or ther R1200GS. The suspension is significantly higher than its predicessors, so a large majority of the weight has been moved vertically to accomodate the higher ground clearance. Even though the fuel tanks are located low on the frame of the bike, it still feels somewhat top-heavy in stand-still leans.
I've got the same sidestand issue but I just reckoned that the larger foot I stuck on there was the culprit. Either way, I've gotten used to it and do not see it as a problem.

Regarding the top-heavyness...the F800GS is way less top heavy than my R1150RT felt so I don't know what to tell you. To me, this thing is so light and flickable that it's a non-issue.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
I have noticed the side stand issue with mine. I needed to stand "away" from the bike (counter balance) as I lean the bike to the right to deploy the side stand. I have almost dropped the bike once for that very reason.
I notice the top heavy weight from the bike while not moving...once riding...not a problem at all. However at a stand still...or muscling the bike around in my garage, if it starts to lean a bit...watch out...she will go over. I believe this is because of the travel in the shocks, and no matter how low you get the weight on the bike, it is still up off the ground more than other bikes. You need to be careful (if you have a short inseam like me) everytime you stop...make sure your feet are reaching for the ground on the high side of the bike! 2,000 miles and counting on my F800GS...an amazing ride!

Quote:
Okay, I have my '09 F800GS for three weeks now, and I truly love the bike. But, I've got a few observations questioning BMW engineering for the new F*/GS bikes. I've noticed that deploying the sidestand while sitting on the bike requires leaning the bike past vertical to the right side to get the stand down, (sidestand too long???). And the F800GS seems to be much more top heavy, (i.e. leaning the bike at a stop past the point-of-no-return), much more than the F650GS or ther R1200GS. The suspension is significantly higher than its predicessors, so a large majority of the weight has been moved vertically to accomodate the higher ground clearance. Even though the fuel tanks are located low on the frame of the bike, it still feels somewhat top-heavy in stand-still leans.

Any UKGSers seeing this?

Thanks,

Dave M.
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,543
Are those of you that are having issues with the side stand shorter legged? I sounds to me that the preload isn't dialed in properly to make up for the ride height.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
conrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto
Are those of you that are having issues with the side stand shorter legged? I sounds to me that the preload isn't dialed in properly to make up for the ride height.
+1

Exactly my first tought.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,615
That toppy feeling.... they're just showing that they were trying to copy Suzi's Weestrom

Quote:

Any UKGSers seeing this?

Thanks,

Dave M.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,121
36in inseam= 0 issues with sidestand or topheaviness at stops

Complaints:
1. Fire the SOB who saddled us with these worthless mirrors.
2. How about a tubless option at least?
3. Could the engine guards also be designed to protect the radiator?

Minor issues really. I love the bike.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy
Complaints:
I like the mirrors. I have not had any issues at all with rearward visiblity. Are you a really wide person?
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike
I like the mirrors. I have not had any issues at all with rearward visiblity. Are you a really wide person?
6'2" 190lbs so no.

I find the cateye shape cuts the upper lobe off, so balancing the the look angle for rear and side is difficult. You can have one or the other (without having to change body position) but not both. I prefer both.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
I don't have one.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,405
Laugh no complaints!

no issues....lovin it!...

32" inseam no stand issue
I just have to be carefull letting off the throttle in loose gravel....
Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
skyfish OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto
Yes and no... I am a shorter rider, (5' 7"), but Dr. Zaius isn't, (Mark, near 6' as I recall?). Dr. Zaius nailed it. The amount of travel in the rear shock when loaded versus unloaded determines the free swing in the side stand. As Marmite posted earlier, evidently there was a concern over the side lean of the F800GS in the 2008 version. Did BMW overcompensate in the 2009?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #14
skyfish OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy
36in inseam= 0 issues with sidestand or topheaviness at stops

Complaints:
2. How about a tubless option at least?
3. Could the engine guards also be designed to protect the radiator?

Minor issues really. I love the bike.
1. The mirrors on the F8GS work fine for me. Actually, I like them better than the previous BMW versions. Reason being is that I've always used my elbow/upper arm as a direction point to aim my rear-view mirrors, ( my upper am must be seen in the inner-most portion of the mirror). The F800GS mirrors seem to have a slightly wider-angle view than previous BMW mirrors.

2. Welcome to the world of the R1200GS Adventure riders. Because you have spokes on you rims rather than alloy rims, you have to ride with tubes because of the possibility of puncture internally from the spoke heads. As for options, you can go with a cast wheel and stay on road, or learn to live with the tubes, and carry an emergency spare for long trips.

3. I ordered the SW-Motech crash bars specifically to protect the radiator shroud. The radiator shroud is the widest part of the bike, and would probably be the most vulnerable in the event of a drop. I liked the SW-Motech's because they protected both the engine side cases and the radiator, becoming the widest point on the bike in the event of a fall. Plus, scuffs on crash bars are much cheaper to repair than crushed engine cases.

Hope this helps...

Dave M.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:29 AM   #15
uncreative
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:

2. Welcome to the world of the R1200GS Adventure riders. Because you have spokes on you rims rather than alloy rims, you have to ride with tubes because of the possibility of puncture internally from the spoke heads. As for options, you can go with a cast wheel and stay on road, or learn to live with the tubes, and carry an emergency spare for long trips.

Hope this helps...

Dave M.
Say what? the 1200 GS and GS adventure with spoked wheels have tubeless tires. bmw changed their mind with the 800 for some reason. probably because there's not a huge selection of 21" tubless front tires.
uncreative is offline   Reply With Quote