Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #271
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
In that circumstance, wouldn't the temp. gauge max out too?
You would think so but it didn't happen for me. IIRC I had the flashing yellow as the bike was packed with mud and going really slow with a lot of slipping. The temp gauge did not reach full or give any indication as to what's going on. The bike idled quite poorly at the time too but with some forward motion all was right again after restarting it to give the electronics another chance to 'check the system'.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #272
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
You would think so but it didn't happen for me.
Good to know, Bartron. I guess that's yet another gauge on the OBC I no longer have any reason to trust.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #273
dajg
dajg

Oddometer: 65
oil pressure / fan

sensational work boys; the fan was full of dirt. pulled it out, air compressor did its job, fan & bike running all good again.

so... my pisspoor maintenance & cleaning schedule caused me another headache.

thanks again.
dave
dajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #274
WoodWorks
House Ape

This might be a good time for an oil change, Dave. If the oil heated up enough to drop the oil pressure, my guess is that it's fairly useless at providing decent lubrication now.

David

--Curly
Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #275
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
I would think the temp gauge was working as designed. It gives a yellow general warning before the gauge reaches the top temp to call attention to higher than normal temps so you can take measures before too late. The general warning will then go red if the temp reaches a higher plateau. Maybe just me, but this seems logical.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #276
WoodWorks
House Ape

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning, gr8ridn. As Bartron said, his temp. gauge didn't give him "any indication as to what's going on." Apparently neither did Dave's. Don't you think he would have had an easier time diagnosing his problem if he had been able to watch the temp. gauge rapidly rising to max rather than barreling across the Balkan peninsula with a bunch of non-specific idiot lights flashing at him?

David

--Curly
Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #277
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,002
As hard as I tried last season, I could never get my temp gauge to rise above mid-bar level. I was able to trigger the fan, if left at idle long enough. But even when the fan triggered, the temp bars never rose.
I thought it a bit odd.
I just figured this to be a cool running engine, unlike the 950 which is a hot running mill, with the fan triggering at every stop sign !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #278
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Ok David, maybe I mis-read Bartron. I was thinking the gauge rose above normal, but not to the top of the range. If it stayed at the normal range, just below the center tick then there is a problem if in fact it overheated. The general warning light is designed as an alert to many possible problems and changes from yellow to red depending on the severity of the problem. You are right if the light goes on and the temp indicator remains normal there is no indication of overheating.

On my bike the fan will come on if idling too long without moving. The temp gauge shows one bar above normal when the fan triggers. This is similar to the other liquid cooled BMWs I have experience with. On those bikes the fan will trigger at 217f and the light will go on at 232f. Our bikes seem to have similar thresholds.

gr8ridn screwed with this post 03-28-2010 at 12:03 PM
gr8ridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #279
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
The whole overheating coolant without temp gauge indication is not my experience.

I have ridden 2 f800gs's that over heated. Both of these bikes overheated because for one reason or another, the coolant was drained and when refilled, was not bled propperly.

I did not do the work on these bikes but I did do the check rides.

On both of these bikes, the temperature gauge rose to 4 bars while moving and then to 5 bars at which point the master caution light started flashing like mad.

I don't remember what color it was nor if any status messages were present but I do remember that the temperature gauge was pegged.

On the second occasion this happened I was watching for it as I know knew the bike had an important bleeding procedure that not everyone got right.

The coolant temperature rose to maximum in a linear fashion with the master caution flashing 1 bar before pegged.

The second bike began to over heat in a poor location for stopping and went to pegged as I pulled to a stop. At this point the bike began discharging blue coolant but was not idling or running poorly.

I have seen the master caution illuminate for the cooling fan though. On one bike we recieved in a crate, Berlin forgot to plug in the cooling fan all together. On this bike master caution started flashing 30 seconds into the ride before the engine was even warm. I would posit that the same would happen if the ZEF detected high current draw from the fan due to mud or whatever preventing it from turning but I've never experienced such an occurance.

On none of these occurances did the oil pressure light illuminate or flash. I am quite certain of that as I would not run or idle any bike with such a warning, I'd tow it, and the above bikes were all limped back to the shop with long cool downs imbetween short rides so the coolant temperature gauge never again peaked.

In any case, they all ran and idled fine, temperature gauge pegged and spewing out coolant, or not.

My guess is some other coincidence or something all together different occured in the post above, but I doubt it was related to overheating coolant.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #280
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I'd hedge my bets on the fact that the ECM (or whatever they choose to call it) recognised excessive current draw on fan activation and indicated a fault. I've heard a few guys talking about this, and the oil pressure warning indicator was always mentioned with fan failure. I have no idea why they would be related.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote