User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #61
mrleadfoot67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
8600 miles in a month

Bought my 800 and decided to break it in right on a trip to Massachusetts and back.

At the beginning of my list is the service indicator that comes on at about 5600 miles and is locked in by 6100, that can only be reset by the BMW GT-1 Service computer. Not really interested in spending money on a half hour of labor every time I change my oil.

Could use some more flywheel for technical off road use, and some wider ratios in the transmission. I'd personally like a lower 1st as well as a higher 6th. The good news is I've been getting lots of practice with clutch control in the dirt as well as on the street to offset the lack of flywheel/binary throttle. It it does accelerate rather quickly above 4000 rpm, and to change the clutch you don't have to disassemble the entire motorcycle like an oilhead. When sprockets become available you can change gearing :) and I can hit stuff way faster on this than I can off road on the airhead.

At 6'4 the windshield totally sucks, fortunately the aftermarket has got me covered. The 20" version from Cee Bailey looks promising.

I'm going to dish the seat too, although at the end of my 7500 mile road trip I hated it less than when I started.

I love it without ABS-my bike actually has great brake feel.

Oh, right...complaints.

It's actually in the shop to have some issues looked at under warranty: it was stalling on me while idling during hard rainstorms (pulling up to toll booths on the highway) three different times (three different rainstorms). The fuel gauge became really optimistic at around 3400 miles, ran out of fuel twice in the same week (no fuel light either) so I went back to the old fashion way of resetting my trip meter every fuel stop. A group of three LEDs in the tail light intermittently go out. And I can hear the cam chain rattle for a couple of seconds on start up every time I start it up-probably normal (for a R12GS or K12) because it's a hydraulic tensioner. More good news is the dealer gave me an R12GS as a loaner bike :)

Over all I like the bike. I like that it's mechanically less complex and 5 grand cheaper than a R12GS. It's not under engineered like my airhead GS (steering head bearings, drivelines, and transmission bearings). It looks good, especially without all the stickers and the gay stick-on reflectors (no offense if you're gay). For me it is the perfect blend of everything that makes an adventure bike great. Going from scraping pegs in the twisties embarrassing sport bikes while carrying luggage to turning off the pavement and exploring the "hi clearance short wheelbase 4x4 recommended" trail during the same ride. I'm hoping to ride more and wrench less, and as far as anything mechanical is concerned this bike seems like a pretty safe bet.
mrleadfoot67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #62
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
Computer won't allow bump starting.....stupid.

Actually I have to try it myself still, I've just read that on the forums. Seems I'm having so much fun everytime I take this bike out I forget to try it.....next ride .
Well, I've got to take that one back. I rememberd to try bump starting it and it worked just fine.

I wonder if the talk in the forums was about if the battery was so dead that the computer couldn't read the key code, in which case it shouldn't start. So I suppose there could be a time when the battery didn't have enough cranking amps to turn the motor over, but enough to run the electrics, hopefully. I'm not going to test that at least until I have to.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:27 AM   #63
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Or not enough juice to pressurize the FI...

I'll probably still keep a length of wire with an SAE plug on it just to be safe.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #64
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
BMW screwed the pooch with the filler nozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurastus
Well, I've only filled up my F800GS once so far, but i used the same technique as I do for all my bikes: I let the nozzle go full blast until the tank is 1/2 full then dramatically slow down the flow and let the remainder trickle in.
The problem is the rubber pump condoms on gas pumps are too large to fit into the well provided by the filler cap. So a gap is present. The moment you start filling the tank, gas starts spraying out. Depending on the angle, it will spray on the frame, seat, you, etc. If you manage to prevent the spray, it still is leaking out substantially. Look down at the rear tire and you'll see the 2 o'clock position or so is well lubricated with gasoline now.

The cap/filler nozzle was VERY poorly designed (like the kick stand, but BMW has never designed adequate kick stands). If the well for the condom was 1/4" wider, it would probably work fine. Occasionally I fill up at a station will smaller condoms and I can fill up ok.

This is based on only 3 fill ups so far. 2 have been complete failures (the first and third), with far too much gas being put somewhere besides the tank. The 2nd try was with a smaller pump condom and while it was very fussy and difficult to get seated just right, I was able to fill it with 'acceptable losses.'

I'm definitely looking for an aftermarket solution to fix this clusterfuck. It's bad enough having to get off the bike to fill it up.
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #65
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
The torque is hard to control on the gravel roads. touch the throtle and your spiting gravel...left off an you having super engine braking...it takes getting used to. nothing like the old r1150gs or the f650gs.

And over undulating terrain it's very frustrating because it jars your hand one way or the other, increasing or decreasing the throttle. IMO, the diameter of the bars and grips is much too small which adds to this problem, not to mention the ergonomic issues that small bars/grips cause.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #66
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
I hadn't realized that. Thanks for pointing it out. Looks like I'll have to add some "jumper" cables to the toolkit.
Yeah, I got a rude suprise when coasting down Mount Hamilton the other day. I reached an uphill spot where I needed to fire it back up, so I just dropped it second and popped the clutch (with ignition on). The wheel locked up.

I quickly clutched it and started it up with the start button.
They really should fix that. Bump starting is an often necessary means of starting the vehicle when there is minimal battery power.

And it's not like the battery is easy to reach! This is the only bike I've owned where I had to remove screws to access the battery terminals. I discovered this design jewel installing my GPS power feed yesterday. I had less than 400 miles on the bike, so I didn't even know WHERE the battery was. When I found out, I dug around for a tender harness and my spare tourmaster electric gear harness so I could install them all at once. The screws on the battery terminals aren't very long, but I managed to get them to hold.

I wonder if the battery tender harness wires are strong enough for a jump start? Because you sure can't bump start it!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #67
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
Look down at the rear tire and you'll see the 2 o'clock position or so is well lubricated with gasoline now.
Nope. We don't have those problems in Utah...or anywhere else I've ever driven except California (which I avoid if possible). We don't have those gas vapor pump nozzle covers. Here in the wild-wild-west, I guess, folks aren't like those in California...
Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #68
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto
Are those of you that are having issues with the side stand shorter legged? I sounds to me that the preload isn't dialed in properly to make up for the ride height.
Your inseam should not be used to determine the preload. Preload should be adjusted to provide the proper amount of sag in the suspension irrelevant of the rider's leg length, but instead based on the payload (including rider weight). This provides for proper suspension travel in both directions.

The problem I have (30" inseam) is that the bike leans WAY over on the stand most of the time. Being a tall bike, I have to stand on the peg to get on the bike, but with it at an extreme lean, the geometry is all wrong and I'm worried about folding the kickstand in half. Plus the angle on the peg isn't that great for keeping my grip when swinging a leg over.

If I park sidways on a hill with the uphill part on the kick stand side, it's much more manageable. I don't want the bike completely upright, but on level ground, when I put the stand out, the bottom of the stand is 2.5-3" off the ground. That's WAY too much. And with my weight, the sag is too much in the suspension if anything. Properly sprung and adjusted, this will be much worse.

At this point, I'm looking for a 2" thick puck or extension I can put on the stand...
Old 12-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #69
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurastus
Nope. We don't have those problems in Utah...or anywhere else I've ever driven except California (which I avoid if possible). We don't have those gas vapor pump nozzle covers. Here in the wild-wild-west, I guess, folks aren't like those in California...
We have the vapor recovery pumps because they're required by law. You rednecks are polluting! I didn't mind them too much until this bike. With my other bikes, I just pull the condom back with one hand and fill er up. I tried that with these and it just sprayed fuel everywhere.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #70
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
We have the vapor recovery pumps because they're required by law. You rednecks are polluting! I didn't mind them too much until this bike. With my other bikes, I just pull the condom back with one hand and fill er up. I tried that with these and it just sprayed fuel everywhere.
I've got 2000+ miles on my f800 (so about a dozen fill-ups) and I have yet to spill a drop of fuel. Yes I live in Cali. I can't understand how people seem to be having problems. I just pull the condom back and put the nozzle in the hole. It is a tight fit, but it does fit.

Also, I think mounting a bike by using the foot peg with the sidestand down is asking for trouble. I could see it using the center stand perhaps.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #71
spoof
on backwards

Oddometer: 299
I've hopped on all the bikes I've had with some frequency by using the peg while the sidestand is down, usually when I have a load on back. Never had a problem.

MNB....you've read what the manual says about coasting, right?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #72
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoof

Why would you want to coast with the engine off anyway?

Please don't say to save fuel, c'mon. seriously.

We rednecks know better.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #73
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
The problem is the rubber pump condoms on gas pumps are too large to fit into the well provided by the filler cap. So a gap is present. The moment you start filling the tank, gas starts spraying out. Depending on the angle, it will spray on the frame, seat, you, etc. If you manage to prevent the spray, it still is leaking out substantially. Look down at the rear tire and you'll see the 2 o'clock position or so is well lubricated with gasoline now.

The cap/filler nozzle was VERY poorly designed (like the kick stand, but BMW has never designed adequate kick stands). If the well for the condom was 1/4" wider, it would probably work fine. Occasionally I fill up at a station will smaller condoms and I can fill up ok.

This is based on only 3 fill ups so far. 2 have been complete failures (the first and third), with far too much gas being put somewhere besides the tank. The 2nd try was with a smaller pump condom and while it was very fussy and difficult to get seated just right, I was able to fill it with 'acceptable losses.'

I'm definitely looking for an aftermarket solution to fix this clusterfuck. It's bad enough having to get off the bike to fill it up.

Try this. It works as advertised with the vapor recovery boots on my RT, and should work on the F6/8. http://www.mccuff.com/
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #74
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoof
No, but I was coasting with the ignition on and the transmission in neutral.

It's common practice to mount an offroad bike on the sidestand by using the foot peg as a lever. This is due to the exceptionally high seat height. It's pretty clear the kickstand fails to come close enough to the ground with the bike perpendicular to level ground. The bike comes to like a 30 degree angle when on the stand, it's ridiculous. Is this to protect a tip over in hurricane force winds or something?

I pulled back the boot and inserted the nozzle. However, the boot does not fit the well 99% of the time, it's too large, so there's a gap, and gas sprays back. If you hold the boot back, it sprays all over you and all over the bike.

I hope they fired whoever designed the filler. It's a worthless piece of crap.

M N B screwed with this post 12-08-2008 at 06:53 PM
Old 12-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #75
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
Why would you want to coast with the engine off anyway?
On or off, locals like to coast down Mount Hamilton because it's fun. You can coast for well over 10 minutes. We have coaster races. With no engine to pull you out of the turn, it's all about maintaining as much corner speed as you can.