Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #76
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
I pulled back the boot and inserted the nozzle. However, the boot does not fit the well 99% of the time, it's too large, so there's a gap, and gas sprays back. If you hold the boot back, it sprays all over you and all over the bike.

I hope they fired whoever designed the filler. It's a worthless piece of crap.

You've got to find the right angle and depth of insertion (that sounded bad). Took me a few tanks to get it right. I go with the tip of the nozzle just at the 6 o'clock "lower lip" of the filler neck. A few degrees of angle does make a big difference between smooth flow, and a spraying mess.

You'll find it.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #77
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
You've got to find the right angle and depth of insertion (that sounded bad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Took me a few tanks to get it right. I go with the tip of the nozzle just at the 6 o'clock "lower lip" of the filler neck. A few degrees of angle does make a big difference between smooth flow, and a spraying mess.
Thx for the advice and encouragement. Probably sounds like I hate the bike, which is far from the truth, but stuff like this can frustrate the crap out of you.
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #78
spoof
on backwards

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Yeah, I got a rude suprise when coasting down Mount Hamilton the other day. I reached an uphill spot where I needed to fire it back up, so I just dropped it second and popped the clutch (with ignition on). The wheel locked up.
You were coasting with the engine on, but you needed to fire it back up? Also, not that Dave says he did NOT have a problem bump starting.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #79
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoof
You were coasting with the engine on, but you needed to fire it back up? Also, not that Dave says he did NOT have a problem bump starting.

No, Engine was off, ignition was on - lights, display, everything. Locked up the rear wheel.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #80
spoof
on backwards

Well...just FYI, BMW says the tranny won't get proper lubrication without the engine running and not to coast or push for more than a couple hundred yards, preferably at slow speed.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #81
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Well...just FYI, BMW says the tranny won't get proper lubrication without the engine running and not to coast or push for more than a couple hundred yards, preferably at slow speed.

So you can't bump start it (rear wheel will lock up).
You can't push it when it breaks down (tranny won't get lubed).
The battery is a PITA to get to for a jump.

WTF were they thinking?
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
Old 12-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #82
uncreative
Gnarly Adventurer

whoa what??? i'd like to see you try that on a ktm dirt bike. depending on your weight you might actually get on the bike once.

Quote:
It's common practice to mount an offroad bike on the sidestand by using the foot peg as a lever
uncreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #83
spoof
on backwards

Quote:
So you can't bump start it (rear wheel will lock up).
You can't push it when it breaks down (tranny won't get lubed).
The battery is a PITA to get to for a jump.

WTF were they thinking?
My understanding it that Dave bumped his without trouble...check his message above. Obviously if the bump doesn't catch, you're going to be locking the wheel, so I'd just be ready with the clutch and try again, personally.
I'd wire in an SAE for jumps/charging.
The warning against pushing it is a bummer I think. But I also think BMW is being lawyer-style cautious.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #84
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
the manuel states you should not sit on ,or get on the bike with the side stand down as you might break it or the switch.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #85
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,856
The only thing I can complain about so far is the seat.
Last saturday I rode 5 hours to my parent's for a late T-Day dinner,
then 5 hours home the same night.
It was really rough on my tailbone.
I didn't even want to ride the next day.
To be fair, ten hours riding in one day is going to hurt no matter what seat you're on.
I like the look of the seat, so I'm not sure what I will do.
There's a guy here in S. Fla that you can send your seat and he will
re-pad it with a type of gel.
I did it on my 650 and it helped somewhat.
He only charges about $75 so I think it's worth a try.

Spencer's Seat Mod:
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #86
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
I've hopped on all the bikes I've had with some frequency by using the peg while the sidestand is down, usually when I have a load on back. Never had a problem.

MNB....you've read what the manual says about coasting, right?
You've never owned a KTM then.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 AM   #87
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
My understanding it that Dave bumped his without trouble...check his message above. Obviously if the bump doesn't catch, you're going to be locking the wheel, so I'd just be ready with the clutch and try again, personally.

Say WHAT? I've never had any bike lock the rear when bump starting. I've had the bike slow down a lot and fail to catch, but NEVER lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry
the manuel states you should not sit on ,or get on the bike with the side stand down as you might break it or the switch.
So you can only get on the bike with the sidestand up, eh? Which means it's either falling over or on the center stand. And getting the bike OFF the centerstand while ON the bike is a rather non-trivial task in many situations and is entirely unrealistic, especially given that the centerstand is an OPTION.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
Old 12-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #88
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Say WHAT? I've never had any bike lock the rear when bump starting. I've had the bike slow down a lot and fail to catch, but NEVER lock.

So you can only get on the bike with the sidestand up, eh? Which means it's either falling over or on the center stand. And getting the bike OFF the centerstand while ON the bike is a rather non-trivial task in many situations and is entirely unrealistic, especially given that the centerstand is an OPTION.
What BMW means is that you should not put your weight in addition to the bike's weight on the sidestand. I throw my leg over the bike with the sidestand down, and then simply rock it to the right and kick up the sidestand without actually putting any additional weight on the sidestand. This is how I get on all my bikes - very simple really. Maybe I should make a video of this procedure (and how to put gas in the bike without spraying it all over).

As far as the rear wheel locking up you are probably in too low a gear when you drop the clutch and/or not weighting the rear tire by dropping from the standing to the sitting position when you drop the clutch.

Some guys can't wipe their butts without getting crap all over their hands.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #89
SelkieRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Like a lot of you, I don't know if I'm in love with the seat either. It's not so much my tail bone that gets sore as my sit bones (ischial tuberosity). I find myself moving around on the seat or standing up for awhile to remedy this.

Also, I've been having a problem with the brake fluid in the front. Twice now, I've been riding and brake fluid has appeared on the outside of the reservoir. It almost looks like it sweated out of the container. I'm wondering if maybe the brakes are overheating for some reason and the fluid is heating up and coming out from under the cap (I am not a good tech, so feel free to tell me how full of it I might be, but if you do that give me some good ideas of what it actually could be while you're at it). The brakes still work fine, but it gets annoying if it's windy out and brake fluid gets blown onto my visor. I will have the shop check this out at the 600 mile service.

I have a little issue with the height of the bike, but I knew I would before I bought it. I've got a 29" inseam and while it can be akward, I don't use the peg to get on the bike (I never thought about doing that before reading about it in this thread). I just straighten out the handlebars, lean forward and throw my leg over behind me and over the seat. I think it's going to get more akward when I put paniers on the bike. But, I figure I can handle a bit of akwardness for such a fun ride and I have been having fun!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #90
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 815
The seat's not the best for me, but it's good enough for now. I find that 30 seconds of squatting above the seat (great for the quads!) or a quick standup lets me ride another half-hour or so before repeating the exercise. Sure beats the stock seat on my KLR. Once it grabbed ahold, it never let go.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote