Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #91
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I can't understand how people seem to be having problems. I just pull the condom back and put the nozzle in the hole. It is a tight fit, but it does fit.
I think it depends on the flow rate (and pattern) of the particular nozzle. I don't have a problem with the foreskin, but I have found that different nozzles work to varying degrees. I've actually had fuel spray out of the two slots on the aft side of the red funnel...

As PackMule noted, angle and depth of insertion make a big difference. I fill from the left side of the bike.

Quote:
I think mounting a bike by using the foot peg with the sidestand down is asking for trouble.
It depends. I mount the GS and my old KLR like that all the time, especially if the rear seat is loaded with gear. My buddy kicks his WR426 over on its side stand all the time too.

Quote:
Some guys can't wipe their butts without getting crap all over their hands.
Is THAT why nobody wants to use my computer?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #92
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
As far as the rear wheel locking up you are probably in too low a gear when you drop the clutch and/or not weighting the rear tire by dropping from the standing to the sitting position when you drop the clutch.
2nd gear has always worked fine on every bike I've ever owned. 1st was too twitchy. And I was sitting down, I only ride standing up over really rough terrain or sand - too tiring for long periods of time and less ability to control the twitchy throttle as well.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #93
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
2nd gear has always worked fine on every bike I've ever owned. 1st was too twitchy. And I was sitting down, I only ride standing up over really rough terrain or sand - too tiring for long periods of time and less ability to control the twitchy throttle as well.
First time I rode standing up I was going real slow over some
bumpy stuff. Got jarred a little and the throttle closed suddenly and I
almost went over the bars
Twitchy indeed.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #94
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
My 800 is up at Stonyford right now and I am in the Bay Area. I will give it a go this weekend and report back. My guess is that second might be too low for this bike. Like you, I have use second a lot on dirt bikes for bump starting, but this beast has more compression resistance than the average bear.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #95
Cpt.Barbossa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
footpeg mounting

I'm not sure about the 800, but on my 1200GS, I mount from the right side of the bike if on the side stand. This keeps the weight off of the stand and the bike always centers up. YMMV
Cpt.Barbossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #96
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Barbossa
I'm not sure about the 800, but on my 1200GS, I mount from the right side of the bike if on the side stand. This keeps the weight off of the stand and the bike always centers up. YMMV
I mount from the left probably because I have better control over my right foot (being a right handed person). Also the seat is sloped in that direction. Never tried mounting from the right side of a bike unless it was a dirt bike recovering from a fall and I could not easily get to the left side.

Are you right handed? I do see your point since you are tugging the bike up instead of pushing it up with your right hand mounting style.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #97
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Barbossa
So you do it cop style. They do that for safety reasons. It's further from traffic, it allows them to keep their eyes on who they pulled over, and should the bike fall over, they're on the upside. At least that's what a motocop I know told me. It's way more difficult because you're going over the high side. The F800GS is damn tall for me as it is, I don't think that will work, but I'll give it a try when I'm on solid ground sometime soon.

tmex, I'm from the Bay Area myself. A bunch of my friends are headed to Stonyford this weekend, but I'm getting a Corbin put on and then the 600 mile service done. And hopefully ordering some additional farkles.

I'd be surprised if 2nd was too low to bump start it, but these gears do seem kind of close. I'll give third a shot next time.

When I first started riding and I tried first gear, the bike lurched and chirped, but not like this. You'd think I just stood on the rear brake to lock it right up. It was definitely unusual behavior.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
Old 12-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #98
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,677
Maybe my bike is special

After reading reports of the bike not being able to bump start, and trying to confirm this a couple of weeks ago, I was actually surprised when it fired as I was expecting compression braking instead.

Reading more reports now of trouble in this area, you guys actually made me start wondering if I just imagined it . So here's the scoop, straight from my driveway about 10 minutes ago....bumped her in first an second with no trouble at all. Indeed LOTs of compression and it could be easy to be in to low of a gear , I tested to about 25 mph with neighbors wondering what I was doing and yes it chirped the rear an then fired. No problem.

The only thought that crossed my mind is I suppose it's possible BMW upgraded the software to allow this after listening to people (like myself) whine on the internet, and possibly earlier units can't do this??

C'mon people go fire yours up right now an see. This should be an easy topic to put to rest.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #99
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
The only thought that crossed my mind is I suppose it's possible BMW upgraded the software to allow this after listening to people (like myself) whine on the internet, and possibly earlier units can't do this??
Except I bought mine on 11/22. I know it was fresh from Germany, certainly not stale stock as these things are or at least were moving fast. Mine was the first non-presale unit they had and I bought within 48 hours or so.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
Old 12-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #100
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Except I bought mine on 11/22. I know it was fresh from Germany, certainly not stale stock as these things are or at least were moving fast. Mine was the first non-presale unit they had and I bought within 48 hours or so.
Well I guess that rules out that possibility

So, maybe try again?

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #101
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Well I guess that rules out that possibility
So, maybe try again?
Like I said earlier, I'll give it another shot. I don't commute on the GS (that might change once I get panniers and a taller windscreen) and I won't have the opportunity to try until the weekend.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
Old 12-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #102
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

C'mon people go fire yours up right now an see. This should be an easy topic to put to rest.
Dave, my theory is that the F8 has lots of compression braking to overcome. I go about 200 with gear, and my technique is to be standing when you drop the clutch. At the same time you drop the clutch you drop your butt on the seat to compress the suspension, and give the rear tire more bite. If you are a lighter person, and don't preload the suspension, I would expect the wheel to slide in any gear lower than third. As soon as the rear wheel provides braking your body moves forward biasing the weight to the front and unloading the rear even more. It is one of those positive feedback deals. BTW, with the bar risers I find myslef standing on the F8 almost all the time in the dirt.

Stonyford is an incredible place to ride the F800 MNB. I have a ranch in Stonyford and have mapped out the area pretty well. I have 80, 130, and 175 mile loop rides that are all spectacular and pretty much all doable on a 12GS. SO the F8 feels like rocket on these loops. The loops are all away from Fouts Springs which gets ridden pretty heavily by the dirt bike guys (me included), and are pretty much unknown to motorcyclists. The only people I have ever seen out there are yahoos in Rubicons and the like. My GF has a tricked out 97 Wrangler with 33's and all the goodies and is the bike retieval tool of last resort. Also have a pretty gnarly Toyota 4x4 up there.

I PM'ed an inmate with my hair raising story of last weekend. I was exploring an alternate route down Felkner Ridge (North of Fouts) on the F8 with GF in tow on her CRF230L. It was getting steep and narrow. What was wide two track was turning into a very tight and rutted two track. I was looking for a place to spin it around when I came to a corner and was confronted by two bike swallowing ruts where the four wheeler lanes should be (and it was steeper downhill than I was prepared to go). I had no choice really. I tip-toe'd to the right of the right hand rut scraping foliage a bit. I was only a few inches from the rut to my left. As I descended the right side was closing in on me, and the left side was opening up a bit. So I did the only thing I could do and gassed it across the ruts. I had to get the front end light or the ruts would grab it. The bike held the line without quivering, and the TKC's bit into the left shoulder of the road. Got it to the bottom and nearly fainted. I was way over my head on that bike. I grabbed the Motorola and told GF to stop in her tracks and try to get turned around. After she assured me she left some room for me to get by, I assaulted the same path in the uphill direction. It was simple because it is a lot easier to hit the gas and keep the front light going uphill than downhill, and the TKC's with 80+ HP at the rear grab a lot of dirt. In any case, the bike surprised me a lot. It was way more poised than I would have ever expected it to be. BTW, had to walk back down to get GF's bike out for her. There was some whining involved. Luckily she had stopped before the real nasties, I would have probably killed myself getting the little Honda down the rutted hill, and I am not even positive it could pull the uphill back with me on it (probably, but it would not be pretty).

Anyway, Felkner Ridge (home to the much feared and revered "elevator shaft") is not on any of the scenic loops. PM me if you want to arrange for a ride you will remember, Alcohol molecules are usually abundant after the ride when recalling our manly exploits. BTW, there is not enough daylight left to do the 175 mile loop unless you ride hard and leave almost zero margin which I don't like to do.

tmex screwed with this post 12-09-2008 at 09:53 PM
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #103
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
If you are a lighter person
That would not be an accurate description of me...

Good trail story, btw, thanks for sharing that.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
Old 12-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #104
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
The torque is hard to control on the gravel roads. touch the throttle and your spiting gravel...left off an you having super engine braking...it takes getting used to. nothing like the old r1150gs or the f650gs.
I have found that keeping it in a higher gear and using the torque more helps a lot. Another thing that helps is to get larger diameter grips. I just put grip puppies on mine and like them a lot. (use the small size on the puppies)
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #105
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkspear
I have found that keeping it in a higher gear and using the torque more helps a lot. Another thing that helps is to get larger diameter grips. I just put grip puppies on mine and like them a lot. (use the small size on the puppies)

Where is the small size listed? Your link only shows large? I'm actually regretting getting the factory heated grips. I've got hotgrips on my other bike, and they're a larger diameter and more comfortable.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote