User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
borborygmus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
after cylinder head install engine won't turn over

Had to put new intake valves on front cylinder and after putting head back on and setting cams the engine will not turn over. It locks up! If I turn the engine over clock wise then no problem, however when turning the engine ccw it hits a point where it will not turn over, it locks. Yes I used the ktm crank locking tool, found tdc with chop stick, set cams according to"hall of wisdom"I have uninstalled and reinstalled cams and checked timing 4 times,(I KNOW, INSANE) BTW if the cams are removed then it turns over ccw as it should. And no, when the cams are in the lock up mode, it does not happen with the lobes on the valve buckets so I do not think the valves are touching the piston, besides this does not happen when going cw.

ANY IDEAS OR SIMILAR PROBLEMS?

borborygmus screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 05:09 PM
borborygmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
renogeorge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Sounds like cam timing....

Did you start with rear cyl at tdc (cam lobes face in), while front cyl lobes face out. From there turn 435 degrees to get to front cyl TDC. At that point front cly lobes face IN and marks line up with head.

I don't use the KTM tool but I suspect it will lock the crank at a spot other than TDC. Make sure you can see the dimple in the crank looking through the lock access hole on the right side.

Any chance you swapped positions on the cams--intake/exhaust?

Good luck
Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
borborygmus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
yes, it won't if done properly and no. It only locks up with the exhaust cam in, just came from the garage with this info.
borborygmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Remove all cams and rotate the engine ccw to verify if it is related to cams. If with these removed engine turns fine, assemble them per manual a verify again.

Raid de L'Amiti้ 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Never that problem. I did improperly time my bike once by setting the rear jug and then only going 75 degrees CCW to time the front rather than CCW 360 degrees followed by an additional 75 degrees. The bike will run that way, but very, very poorly.

Make sure you have the correct cams on the correct heads: EX/RE for rear exhaust, and IN/RE for rear intake. EX/FR and IN/FR go in the front. As noted, lobes point in on the rear on TDC and out on the front when on TDC.

You're doing this with both plugs out, right? Easier to turn that way and to find TDC on the front.

Beyond these basic things, I really have no idea. But stick with it. You'll get it.
"I'd like to meet the joker who had the nerve to call this a road!" -- Walter Sigmann "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson "Who am I? Why am I here?" Admiral Stockdale.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/brad.horn.9
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote