Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #556
KaaJa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudratinOz View Post
I've just ordered my 2nd Sava MC 23 Rockrider, got just under 4000 (mostly black top) klm's out of the last one. So though Id see what I get out of this set. I run them at 28 psi for mostly tar rides and around 25 for mostly dirt. Seem to work everywhere except wet tar.
Cost me $130 (aud)

anyone else use them ?

I used them on my DR650 and now on my SE. Quite like them, seems to wear better than similar MT21, havent tried the front, but have heard that its not that good on gravel.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #557
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Has anybody tried the new Michelin Desert Race rear on an LC8 (or any other bike?)?

Looks like I'm going to try it since I just got it in. I thought I was ordering the old "Desert" tire but I guess they only make the "Desert Race" tire now. Compared to the 908RR that I usually ride, the compound for the Michelin feels much softer.

Doing some research looks like this new tire is meant for smaller bikes as this press release states http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN...IN-Desert-Race

"The new tire is the result of Michelin’s 30 years of experience in cross-country rallying. Developed by engineers at the MICHELIN Technology Center in Clermont-Ferrand, the MICHELIN Desert Race has been adapted for the new 450cc prototype factory bikes."

That is not what I was expecting. I did additional digging and this new tire has a load/speed rating of 70R which is the same rating as the 908RR, so maybe I'll give it a try on the big bike anyway. 70R rating is 335 kg (740 lb) at 106 mph.
Reference....
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/in...m?event=Desert
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...nture/d908-rr/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

The front tire on the side of it says "Desert" but the rear tire says "Desert Race", so I'm not sure if the front is the same as the old model.

rburkat screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 10:51 AM
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #558
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 947
I tried the Desert Race tire on my Super Enduro and it did not last. Heavily worn after 500 miles of forest road/ rocky desert riding. By 900 miles it was baked.

Riding pard had the other michellin on his SE, his seemed to last a bit longer.. For the expense ( I think I paid about $ 160 delivered) I would not buy another. For another 30 bucks you could have the 908 RR. I get at least 2 - 2.5 times the mileage.

I just cannot get used to spending so much on rubber, unfortunately the price jump for the 908's seems to be here to stay.

Rocky mountain has the dunlops for about $184, best I can find right now. I will be ordering up one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburkat View Post
Looks like I'm going to try it since I just got it in. I thought I was ordering the old "Desert" tire but I guess they only make the "Desert Race" tire now. Compared to the 908RR that I usually ride, the compound for the Michelin feels much softer.

Doing some research looks like this new tire is meant for smaller bikes as this press release states http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN...IN-Desert-Race

"The new tire is the result of Michelin’s 30 years of experience in cross-country rallying. Developed by engineers at the MICHELIN Technology Center in Clermont-Ferrand, the MICHELIN Desert Race has been adapted for the new 450cc prototype factory bikes."

That is not what I was expecting. I did additional digging and this new tire has a load/speed rating of 70R which is the same rating as the 908RR, so maybe I'll give it a try on the big bike anyway. 70R rating is 335 kg (740 lb) at 106 mph.
Reference....
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/in...m?event=Desert
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...nture/d908-rr/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

The front tire on the side of it says "Desert" but the rear tire says "Desert Race", so I'm not sure if the front is the same as the old model.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #559
MudratinOz
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaJa View Post
I used them on my DR650 and now on my SE. Quite like them, seems to wear better than similar MT21, havent tried the front, but have heard that its not that good on gravel.
I've just got back from a four day tour of the west and I am very happy with both the front and the rear. got just under 5000 ks on them know, ran them at 28psi everywhere. The rear will be replaced within the next 500ks, but the front has only slight sawtoothing so will be on for a while longer yet.

Going to run the next rear at 26psi everywear to see how it wears/handles.
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #560
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Mefo SE rear - Conti TKC80 front - 5800kms on a trip with 80% dirt. No flats, good on and off road grip. Mefo's good for another 2000kms, Conti 5000kms at current wear rates.

There are certainly better on-road tyres as well as off-road tyres. However, I am very happy with this combination as a on/off road dual purpose compromise.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #561
skianreid
Boulder Moto

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Mefo SE rear - Conti TKC80 front - 5800kms on a trip with 80% dirt. No flats, good on and off road grip. Mefo's good for another 2000kms, Conti 5000kms at current wear rates.

There are certainly better on-road tyres as well as off-road tyres. However, I am very happy with this combination as a on/off road dual purpose compromise.
you must have a smooooth throttle hand
Old 09-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #562
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Mefo Superexplorers

The SE's on my 950 were new when I left for Alaska. Since most of the running was tarmac I set the pressure to 35psi on both ends. By 2800 miles in Fairbanks the front had noticeable cupping on the sides though the center tread was wearing flat and even. After 6350 miles it was toast and I changed for the only tyre in stock at Forest Power Products in Pr George, a TKC 80. The rear lasted for 7785 miles when I changed both out for a new set of Scorpions for the slab riding the rest of the way home.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #563
godzuki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
i just got back from a 4 day twisty pavement ride, before i left i installed a coni trail attack front and a avon am 26 road rider on the rear in the stock sizes for my 04 adv s, i had a decent load with both gobies loaded and a pelican top loaded with my sleeping bag rolled up behind me (not the weee little sleeping bag either, this one is as big as a doorway unrolled and keeps me warm to 0 degrees....wait no keeps me sweating unless im down to my boxers till the 20 something degree mark then add some more clothes lol). i wasnt going offroad and i didnt plan on it at all these tires had to be good ON road thats it because i wanted a good sport touring tire for it. i can say they performed way better than i had thought they would, my buddy behind me on his zx14 said i was maybe 2" away from dragging the gobi's in the corners, the tires had great stick and never spun up the whole trip, even with full throttle corner exits. on 1 day i did leave the side bags and sleeping bag off back at a hotel, and it was even better without the extra weight. 1 day was almost a full rain day and they worked nicely aswell in the rain, i did have 1 time where both wheels slid but i had just hit a gouge that was cut in the road by something so it wasnt the tires fault.

i was able to reach the tire edge on the coni on the front but that avon is realy realy optimistic on what kinda angles you can hit lol there is a good inch to 2 inches of unused tread out to the sides lol

ohh we crossed from the LP in MI to the UP and the steel grate made that avon realy nervous when i was on it the coni wasnt but the back was noticable, i crossed several other steel grate bridges on the way up and back from indiana and none of the others did i feel it on.
godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #564
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Metzeler Karoo 3

Anybody try these?

More info here.

Vector Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #565
mikeegee
Gnarly Adventurer

Just ordered the 140/80-18 from moto superstore. They say they'll be here by the end of the week if they can get them from their warehouse.

And yes, I ordered the 140 because I'm a cheap fuck. It was $95 OTD rather than $192. According to the wiki page on tire codes, it's a 70R, so if I'm reading it correctly it's 740lbs @ 106mph.

Well, we'll see...
Old 05-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #566
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeegee View Post

And yes, I ordered the 140 because I'm a cheap fuck. It was $95 OTD rather than $192. According to the wiki page on tire codes, it's a 70R, so if I'm reading it correctly it's 740lbs @ 106mph.

Well, we'll see...
But the tire cross section will be incorrect because the rear wheel is about 2" too wide for a 140/80 tire. I know people do it for off road tires where where the cross section is less of an issue, but on pavement it could be a problem when you lean the big bike way over at speed.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #567
mikeegee
Gnarly Adventurer

No worries, I purely stick to the center part of the tire. When I come to corners I stop and spin the bike on the side stand.

I've been running the same dimension Tractionater over the last year and haven't had any problems so far (and yes, I've read the company says not to) even with high speed and high temperatures. I also plan on lacing up some new wheels with a more appropriate sized rim for this tire, so it'll make it on there before too long.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #568
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Speaking of cheap - I've read so many different answers to this I thought I'd just ask again. What range are people getting on the Scorpion MT90 A/T rears? I don't really like the tire, I ride off road in mud a lot, so the TKC80 works much better for me. But I am going on a 3700 mile (6000 km) straight highway ride, and I have two MT90's sitting in the garage, one is brand new, one has 2/3 of the tread left. I'd rather use up the old one, then sell the new one. Seems people are getting at least 5000 miles from them; this is on a 2005 950 Adventure. Opinions? Thanks!
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #569
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
Speaking of cheap - I've read so many different answers to this I thought I'd just ask again. What range are people getting on the Scorpion MT90 A/T rears? I don't really like the tire, I ride off road in mud a lot, so the TKC80 works much better for me. But I am going on a 3700 mile (6000 km) straight highway ride, and I have two MT90's sitting in the garage, one is brand new, one has 2/3 of the tread left. I'd rather use up the old one, then sell the new one. Seems people are getting at least 5000 miles from them; this is on a 2005 950 Adventure. Opinions? Thanks!
How hard are you on the throttle? I get about 3000 miles out them - two up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #570
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
How hard are you on the throttle? I get about 3000 miles out them - two up.
This will be an easy on the throttle highway trip; I've seen everything from 2500 - 7500 miles quoted on the site here, that's why I don't know which way to go. I don't want two partially worn tires after this...what front do you run with them? I was going to take off my TKC80 front as well, was thinking of putting a K60 Scout on the front, then change the rear to the same when I got back.
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote