Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #61
aurel
Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicDomingo
I doubt if any of the mountain pistes we did in the Atlas would be much fun to do in December
I'm leaving on the 19th of December and that's my biggest concern. I've been in Morocco with the bike in May and August before and it was perfect for off-road but December... I'm going to freeze

World Tour finished! http://www.the-great-adventure.fr
aurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #62
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,265
Thumb

Great ride report!

I'd like to take a dream tour around the Mediterranean sea some day.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #63
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,100
Thanks (said with sarcasm) for introducing me to yet another place I have to visit! I better live a long time

All kidding aside great report and pic's!
*Gravy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #64
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurel
I'm leaving on the 19th of December and that's my biggest concern. I've been in Morocco with the bike in May and August before and it was perfect for off-road but December... I'm going to freeze
Aurel,

Do yourself a favor and get a Warm-n-safe heated jacket liner (100W max). That Austrian beauty of yours should have plenty of power to spare and you will NOT be cold. I wore just a t-shirt, the liner and my Rallye suit in -10°C weather on the Autobahn and it was no problem.

My hands were a bit cold however, the Symtec grip heaters (36W) didn't get warm enough. Much colder than the factory grips on my cousin's BMW, maybe it was because I used very thick Progrip gels over them? I will be testing them again with some new Domino grips I just got, if still too cold I have also heard great things about the Warm-n-safe heated gloves.

The liner is not really heavier than a normal fleece jacket, and so versatile with a Heat-troller (like a regulator) that I would recommend it to anybody.

Are you going through Spain and then the ferry from Tarifa? We might be there at the same time then.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #65
DominicDomingo OP
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,100
Servus Lukas,

Of course man, I forgot you are from Austria. I like the snowriding pictures, that is one experience I haven't had yet.

I always warn people heading there in winter about the cold, for some reason I didn't prepare well enough in 2006 and paid the price for it in the Atlas. It's easy to think Morocco equals warm, but the mountains are real. Another thing to remember is that energy and fuel use for heating in Morocco is almost nil compared to Europe, and the kind of hotels I stayed in most often had no heating, so drying your gear can be hard. It's a small thing but wet gear on cold mornings is such a bummer.

In my opinion the best the country has to offer begins at the Atlas and south from there.

It seems the link in my report to the Google map stopped working so here it is again:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...3,2.425232&z=9

I made it working off the Michelin Morocco map, so its easy to transpose the route from the Google to the Michelin, which should be the only map you need. I did both trips with no GPS.

Like I said in the report, if you are not complicated or fussy, then your bed is where you make it in Morocco, don't be afraid to ask around if you need a place to stay, especially with the Nomads, even if they are the more "settled down" kind. In 2006 I spent the night in the tent which you see in the black and white photo at the very end of my report. My host (the one who looks like Eddy Murphy) cooked dinner and and was a top notch guy to spend a few hours talking to. He never asked for any money, but it was my pleasure to give him the equivalent of about 15 euros, which is what I was used to paying for dinner+bed+breakfast.

If you ride the 500 km from Madrid to Algeciras in 1 day, think about spending the night in there or in Tarifa before crossing. Tangiers can be a bit of a shock, I wouldn't want to arrive there at night and tired.

Talk to your insurance and get a green card if one has not yet been issued, otherwise you'll have to pay additional insurance when you arrive, about 60 euros/month

Less is more in the sand, if you don't need it don't take it. If you base your sand rides out of Ouarzazate or Zagora and you're sure you'll be heading back through there on your way out, then you might want to think about leaving your cold weather stuff with a trustable person there.

Get in touch if you have any questions.

I envy you !

Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Thanks for the feedback.

Great to hear that the ferry is so close, that makes getting there much easier and quicker than I thought. I'll heed your advice regarding the mountain passes, I realize that it's going to be quite cold. Luckily (or not) I have done quite a bit of winter riding (even across the Alps) and have figured out a clothing/equipment combo that works well in that kind of weather.

Once the date comes closer and I know for sure that I can get enough time off work I might contact you again. The route you guys chose with that much offroad looked awesome, so I would appreciate some more tips.

Cheers,
Lukas
DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #66
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
I'm happy to finish reading your report. Excelent composition, great pictures and awesome experience. You rock!

Thanks for sharing,

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #67
DominicDomingo OP
axe me anything

Salut Aurel,

I think that once you're south of the Atlas the temperatures should be quite nice.

If you have your heart set on mountain pistes, I have heard about nice stuff in the Jbel Sahro, which is a smaller mountain range south of the Atlas. The altitudes are lower so it should be more comfortable in winter. Roxy doesn't look like a girl made for cold climates. The piste we did from Dades Gorges - Agoudal - Todra Gorges was cold at the summit (2800+m) even in September.

While crossing over the Atlas prepare for cold and wet.

I pointed a few things out to Lukas that might be interesting for you too.

I'm sure you'll have a blast on Big Orange!

If you guys are heading through Barcelona and want a place to spend the night on the way down from Toulouse, you are invited.

Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurel

DominicDomingo screwed with this post 03-11-2010 at 01:59 AM
Old 11-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #68
ERIC DN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicDomingo
. The piste we did from Dades Gorges - Tinerhir - Todra Gorges was cold at the summit (2800+m) even in September.

Dominic
Hi
The last info I've had is that this track has been totaly washed and it is broken. 31 of October the owner of a guesthouse at Imilchill recommended us strongly to avoid the tracks in this area due to recent flooding and heavy rain.

Eric
ERIC DN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #69
DominicDomingo OP
axe me anything

CORRECTION OF ERROR:

Thank you for paying attention Eric, you made me notice a mistake; the piste I meant to refer to was Dades - Agoudal - Todra (Todra and Tinerhir are almost the same place)

The other piste which connects Dades to Todra more directly (it shows up on my Google map quite well) was already (reportedly) washed out and not passable in September 2008 when we were there. I marked it red on my map now to avoid any confusion.

I have also heard a bit about the heavy rains of the last few months in that area.

This will be good info for people heading there in the near future.

http://maps.google.es/maps/ms?client...,1.212616&z=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC DN
Hi
The last info I've had is that this track has been totaly washed and it is broken. 31 of October the owner of a guesthouse at Imilchill recommended us strongly to avoid the tracks in this area due to recent flooding and heavy rain.

Eric
Old 11-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #70
DominicDomingo OP
axe me anything

For AUREL and LUKAS

One piste I didn't do but heard good things about is: Tinerhir, over the Tizi-n-Tazazert finishing at Nekob. This is in a smaller mountain range south of the Atlas. Have a look at Mark's Morrocco ride report which is now up in this same forum to see some pictures of it. If the climate is bad when you're there this might be a better option than the High Atlas pistes, but I'm just guessing.

Cheers,

Dominic
Old 11-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #71
aurel
Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Are you going through Spain and then the ferry from Tarifa? We might be there at the same time then.
Yes we'll cross Spain on the road and catch a ferry in Tarifa. Maybe we could join in Spain ? In Barcelona ? So that we could have a beer with DominicDomingo

DominicDomingo, thanks for all the infos about tracks. This time I'll go very easy on off-road as I'll be riding two-up and loaded with zegas and everything. No sand/dunes this time or only a few kilometers.

Last time we rode in Erg Chebbi it was really hard (August...), I'll never do this with my girlfriend on the bike

World Tour finished! http://www.the-great-adventure.fr
aurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #72
emf#53
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Superb write up and awsome pictures - I went to Morocco a couple of years ago, we hired Transalps in Marrakech rode over the Atlas to Foam Zguid to watch the Dakar - little were we to know then it would be for the last time :-(

I really fancy going back and doing something like you have done - I am in the process of looking for a XT660R to make into a decent overlander - BMW are just too big for me especially when loaded with kit.

The photos and write up have helped spur me to get on with it and get out there - Cheers
emf#53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #73
DominicDomingo OP
axe me anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by emf#53
Superb write up and awsome pictures - I went to Morocco a couple of years ago, we hired Transalps in Marrakech rode over the Atlas to Foam Zguid to watch the Dakar - little were we to know then it would be for the last time :-(

I really fancy going back and doing something like you have done - I am in the process of looking for a XT660R to make into a decent overlander - BMW are just too big for me especially when loaded with kit.

The photos and write up have helped spur me to get on with it and get out there - Cheers
I really enjoyed the XTR, and the fact that the bike I rode had almost 100,000 km as a rental, in Morocco, is testament to their quality. Depending on where you live the new Tenere XTZ might be an option. cheers
Old 11-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #74
VampyreMP
Frustrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Fantastic!

Wow, what a great RR! I'm not sure what I'm more jealous of, the ride or the photography? OK, it's the ride but the photography is excellant! Thanks
VampyreMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #75
DominicDomingo OP
axe me anything

Thanks for the kind words! It's the way to live in my opinion: ride the world, see beautiful landscapes, meet new people, and take their pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampyreMP
Wow, what a great RR! I'm not sure what I'm more jealous of, the ride or the photography? OK, it's the ride but the photography is excellant! Thanks