User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #1
Wilmo OP
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,270
Wilmo and GuyMcFlys Holland Track Ride Western Australia

Guy and I had been planning to get away to ride the Holland Track since we rode down to Margaret River together from Perth almost a year ago to the week.

With babies being born now out of the way, we finally got the opportunity to take off from our respective families for an extended 3 day weekend and head 4 hours east of Perth to Marvel Loch where my father in law has a wheat and sheep farm.

We would use this as our base and trailer the bikes there to avoid having to ride the blacktop, considering how mind numbingly boring it is riding a straight road for 4 hours!

Below is a map of the area, the green line shows our track from Marvel Loch, to Hyden, then onto the Holland Track (along which we camped overnight). The next day we rode along the track to the Banker Mt Day Rd, and back to Marvel Loch to refuel.

The same day we then rode back down the Banker Mt Day Rd, again to the Holland Track (along which we camped overnight again) and next day up to Queen Victoria Rd that runs to Coolgardie, stopping there to refuel and then via the Gt Eastern Highway back to Marvel Loch.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
Wilmo OP
Orange Fever

Guy is going to also contribute to this thread as we go along, as between us we have plenty of pics!

After an uneventful trip out there and the mandatory stop at the Merredin Bakery, we arrived and unloaded the bikes. After some pleasantries with the family Guy and I hit the road to Hyden, taking the Emu fence Line which runs straight there (gravel).

GuyMcFly...

Wilmo...

Marvel Loch was a pretty good spot to start from, as it put us right in the middle of Yilgarn Shire, with gravel roads to and from the farm in most directions.

We were limited to 3 days and 2 nights so wanted to see as much of the track as possible in that time, and possibly explore further east around Cave Hill....but this was not to be this trip for reasons we shall see later. In hindsight we may have been a tad ambitious from the outset for even considering getting to Cave Hill and back as well in three days, as we were pretty knackered when we got back only doing what we did!

More tomorrow....

Wilmo screwed with this post 11-09-2009 at 07:47 AM
Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,206

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,806
Gotta see this!

Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
WestOzKLX
Elsie with Allspeeds

Oddometer: 869
Bring it on.
WestOzKLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
guymcfly
Banned

Oddometer: 953
so its a run along the Emu Proof Fence rd to Hyden (the fence has disappeared but used to run down the middle of the road -a track either side now forms the road).

guymcfly screwed with this post 04-12-2010 at 11:54 PM
guymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
guymcfly
Banned

heading back into the farming area around Hyden the road becomes black top and the countryside wide open...it was howling winds at this point of the ride, with estimated gusts up to 50 knots - we really battled to stay on the bikes!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Bring it on.
+1

The Holland track is very high on my "to ride list"
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
Wilmo OP
Orange Fever

Before we left the dirt we took a 10km detour from the Emu Fence Road and to the plane crash site of the Vultee Vengeance. Both pilots escaped the wreck and one walked for 4 days to be found, the other was never seen again and is still out there. I can imagine in 1944 that this spot was even more remote than it is now.

Here Guy's side stand was playing up (bloody KTMs!) and needed a bit of a tweak. You might see several photos of Guys bike leaning against trees etc to support itself in the rest of the trip photos!

Before we reached Hyden we stopped off at Mulka's Cave where there is some interesting Aboriginal art. Legend has it that Mulka was born cross eyed and couldn't throw a spear straight, so hunted human children instead as they were easy to catch! This is where he lived and painted.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #10
Wilmo OP
Orange Fever

When approaching Hyden we saw the turn off to Wave Rock so stopped by to see this amazing rock formation. Its puts Hyden on the map because you probably wouldn't go there otherwise (except to fill your bike with fuel that is!).

In Hyden the weather was turning nasty, thunderstorms and scattered showers were forecast for the district, and the wind whipped up considerably from Mulka's Cave to Hyden (about half an hour ride) making it difficult to stay on the road!

We rode into Hyden in spitting rain, with the smell of moisture in the air, and a big thunderstorm about 5km West of Hyden. We decided we'd wait it out at the servo for a few minutes to see what developed before making our way out the Hyden to Norseman road towards the Holland Track as originally planned.

The storm quickly passed and even though it was now getting late in the day, we decided to press on and ride the 40km out to the start of the track to make camp. You can see the weather in the cloud formations in the next few pics.

We reached the start of the Holland Track and as it was now getting dark decided to ride in only until we could find a decent camping spot for the night.

After about 10ks we came across a cleared section where some granite lumps break the surface of the ground and the surrounding thick scrub doesn't grow. Its was obviously used regularly as a camp site by the many 4wders that use the track.

A bit of a hurried set up of camp ensued, with us vowing that we would stop earlier tomorrow. Overnight we got some showers, I was toasty warm in my tent, Guy's swag got a bit damp and cold so he was up early starting a fire to thaw out the next morning. By ride's end he was thinking he might buy a tent for the next trip!

Pics of camp site (after tent pack up!) next morning. The weather cleared and it was going to be a perfect for a big day of riding!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #11
pheepster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Looks fookin nice.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #12
mcc66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201

mcc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:59 AM   #13
Wilmo OP
Orange Fever

We got on the road about 7.30am and had about 150km to travel to get back to the farm - all off road!

After a slow start, with a lot of rutted twisty terrain, the track opened up and allowed us to pick up some speed as we neared the Bounty Gold mine. The track skirts the edges of the mine, so you don't actually see any mining activity though.

We were suprised by the diversity of vegetation and track conditions. Everything from tall trees to open country, sandy plains, pea gravel and mud (when its wet - going by the size of some of the wheel ruts!

We saw a couple of Kangaroos early in the morning, but from then on and for the rest of the trip, didn't see another, nor did we see any Emus. There musn't be enough water out this way to sustain a population at this time of year (?). That made for fairly confident high speed jaunts along the open sections without fear of running into an animal darting out from behind a tree.

One of the Cairns that dot the track...

There are patches of wild flowers which even us hardened ADVers can appreciate!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
guymcfly
Banned

Same place, looking back towards Wilmo...the flowers seemed to be an endless carpet.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #15
guymcfly
Banned

Going back to the early morning here...Wilmo is still asleep in his tent - he likes his lie in does our Wilmo! I'd been up a while - I'd lit the fire, dried my body armour, brewed up and had a general scout around the campsite (at a place called Sheoak Rocks). It was very cold...damp from the rain and you could see your breath.

I thought I'd better place a 'campsite' pic in here to show a typical bivvy area we found on the track out there. Plenty of room for other trackers as most are pretty big and you'll find multiple fire pits, rocks to sit on, cook on etc. This place also had some water pools from recent rain that had collected in the rocks - altho' I'd be careful about drinking it except in an absolute emergency.