Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
noahr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Eek HELP ASAP! In Vancouver, Need BMW Oil filter Tool Oil Dripping leaving Tues on Trip

I really messed up! I've got a 2006 GSA adventure, my previous bike was a 2003 GS. I'm getting ready to leave on a big trip to Panama on Tuesday and thought I'd preform my first oil change on the gsa thinking that the stupid BMW tool to remove the oil filter would be the same...WRONG!

Long story short I've punctured my old oil filter and its dripping oil everywhere. I know very stupid!

So it look like the only way to get this thing off is the BMW oil filter tool. But i'm all planned to leave Tuesday morning and all the bmw shops in town are closed on Monday.

Does anyone have this tool on hand that I can borrow for a few hours??? Their would be some beer in it for you and some great karma too!!!

thanks!!

Noah

noahr screwed with this post 02-20-2009 at 09:36 AM
noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
noahr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

HELP ASAP! In Vancouver, Need BMW Oil filter Tool Oil Dripping leaving Tues on Trip

I know this should only be in regional but I really need the help and thought the mods would let it slide.

I really messed up! I've got a 2006 GSA adventure, my previous bike was a 2003 GS. I'm getting ready to leave on a big trip to Panama on Tuesday and thought I'd preform my first oil change on the gsa thinking that the stupid BMW tool to remove the oil filter would be the same...WRONG!

Long story short I've punctured my old oil filter and its dripping oil everywhere. I know very stupid!

So it look like the only way to get this thing off is the BMW oil filter tool. But i'm all planned to leave Tuesday morning and all the bmw shops in town are closed on Monday.

Does anyone have this tool on hand that I can borrow for a few hours??? Their would be some beer in it for you and some great karma too!!!

thanks!!

Noah

noahr screwed with this post 02-20-2009 at 09:36 AM
Old 12-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
No responses in GSpot... You'll get a better response in RF: Canada... off it goes.. and good luck
Old 12-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
klebel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
I live in Seattle and have one. Sorry man but you are a bit of a drive to drop it off for you. If I overnight shipped it, you still wouldn't have it until Tuesday. Sounds like you might have to put off your start a few hours if you can't find someone local.
klebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,547
GVMC might be able to help.

Try checking with the GVMC, Greater Vancouver Motorcycle Club. Many guys with Beemers will have that tool. Emails on their website. Google them for the details.

Tell them Super Sue from Oakland, CA sent ya.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
klebel
Studly Adventurer

DO you guys have Schucks up there? I know this would work for you if you did.

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...goryCode=3401A
Old 12-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
noahr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks everyone, this is just another great reason why Advrider is such a great site.

Thanks again Jason.

Noah
Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #8
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
which panama?

not the one in central america, right? i think we have one here in california....bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #9
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,170
I have a garden variety oil filter wrench that uses a clamping action to grip the oil filter on my GS. I had to remove a bit of the metal to get the thing to work though. My bike is the older R1150 but I use non BMW filters so the need for this type of wrench. The wrench has two fingers that close on the filter similar to the second link picture below. KD Tools and SK tools also make three finger wrenches like the first example. Mine has no name brand on it.

http://www.brandsport.com/ctam-2506.html
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/filterwrenches.aspx

JimmieA.
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
noahr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There's a Panama in California? Learn something everyday. We have a London in Canada...naturally a less exciting version of the original

My bikes is all set now, Central America here i come...just have to get through this bitter cold we're having here in Vancouver, good thing im bringing my heated vest and chaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
not the one in central america, right? i think we have one here in california....bruce
Old 12-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #11
klebel
Studly Adventurer

Leave NOW! The roads from North Seattle all the way into Oregon on I-5 are pristine right now. It is cold and crisp here. Come Wednesday the snows are going to hit again and you will be stuck. I would get on the road ASAP if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahr
There's a Panama in California? Learn something everyday. We have a London in Canada...naturally a less exciting version of the original

My bikes is all set now, Central America here i come...just have to get through this bitter cold we're having here in Vancouver, good thing im bringing my heated vest and chaps.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,906
Wouldn't any of the generic filter wrenches from Canadian Tire work? They have a bunch of different sizes...