Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
Nikolya
Rider

Oddometer: 95
Izh 49 is good bike. I like design of it. Once I have almost bought it in Ukraine but condition was really bad. I've bought Izh Yupiter 5 instead.

I'm looking to buy Jawa 634 but I've never seen them in USA. Sometimes I see Jawa Californian, maybe that's the case.
Nikolya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
KevlarIZH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
Well, I did it. I looked around for some time in the US and found a decently priced IZh - happened to be 50 miles from me
19xx IZh Planeta 5, brand new. 5 kms on the odo, and all accessories. Although the title states 1969, I suspect more like 1988. Great ebay/barn find! What to do with a brand new 20+ year old bike? This bike has never been started!! Ride it I guess. I will be going through it over the next week or so. Any suggestions??
It's amazing ....... looks like I'm in a similar situation .... I would love to ask you some questions!
KevlarIZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #18
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
One man junk is another man treasure they say...

It is workhorse in Siberia because there is nothing to chose from. Every old ex-USSR bike is workhorse there along with chinese scooters.

Amazing how it is different for someone, who spent most of life in USSR and you guys

It is not collectable, nor rare and basically it used to be "poor man's Jawa" in Soviet Union times.
BTW - they came with sidecar as well. If you want more exotic

I hope troubles we had from those bikes will pass by you! Enjoy it.

Damn, I should start business selling ex-USSR junk to US
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
KevlarIZH
Adventurer

This particular bike is the original design, dirt model ( 7.107L-010), made for very harsh terrain.

Russian people need this kind of vehicles because the extreme nature of weather and terrain.

Using a simple design and a supplied complete set of tools (including pump) the rider could solve most common problems he may encounter on the road and move on.

I think the widespread use of sidecar may be because this way the bike does not fall due to the third point of support, and thus can be used on snow or ice.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

That bike designed in conditions of ruined economy, poor copies of German war time bike designs, marginal qualirty control etc.
NOBODY worried about what PEOPLE wanted to ride in our country back then we all wanted Hondas and got Izh.
I am afraid your assumption based on what normal manufacturer would be thinking of, but things were not normal in our country. It was not designed with reliability in mind, not for specific conditions, nothing like that. All bikes were designed in same way in our country. And they were cheaper than imported Jawa.

Sidecar was to make it more popular for villagers, who can haul sac of potatoes off field or get to town center with wife and kid. Not to keep it from falling over on our marginal quality roads.

Oh...I wish I'd seat over couple of beers with you guys to explain how it really worked.

Best Izh ever made was Izh Planeta Sport. Made with Yamaha.

Back then allowed speed for motorcycles on any road in USSR was limited to 90 kmph by road code. BTW.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #21
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Izh Planeta Sport:

Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
KevlarIZH
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
That bike designed in conditions of ruined economy, poor copies of German war time bike designs, marginal qualirty control etc.
NOBODY worried about what PEOPLE wanted to ride in our country back then we all wanted Hondas and got Izh.
I am afraid your assumption based on what normal manufacturer would be thinking of, but things were not normal in our country. It was not designed with reliability in mind, not for specific conditions, nothing like that. All bikes were designed in same way in our country. And they were cheaper than imported Jawa.

Sidecar was to make it more popular for villagers, who can haul sac of potatoes off field or get to town center with wife and kid. Not to keep it from falling over on our marginal quality roads.

Oh...I wish I'd seat over couple of beers with you guys to explain how it really worked.

Best Izh ever made was Izh Planeta Sport. Made with Yamaha.

Back then allowed speed for motorcycles on any road in USSR was limited to 90 kmph by road code. BTW.

Thank you very much for your insights and comments, sure was a very hard and sad time and for those who do not live that, is difficult to understand.

For my part I only can talk about my feelings about these vehicles, I have a Russian VAZ 2105 sedan and recently bought a motorcycle Planet 5 (see my other threads in this forum)

I bought the car because it was one of the cheapest on the market and in these 4 years has given me good service, it does not break more often than others and when it does, the mechanic is affordable and spare parts are cheap.

I feel meets my needs and my family´s and I'm satisfied.

The bike is a different case, I like classic bikes and wanted to have one for the pleasure of riding it and the price is a factor, here the classic worth more than a car.

Upon learning of the existence of Planet here, I found I like its old-fashioned style ( German technology of the 30's mixed with a touch of the big Japanese bikes from the 80's and russian craftsmanship )

I always had 2-stroke motorcycles, and had the oportunity to have a famous classic bike, with its old style riding feeling and street legal at a price I could afford,made me decide to buy it.

Recently I have it and so far has not given me any headaches .... we will see later.

Both in my car and the bike I love the Practical design, devoid of ornaments so common in modern products.

Not Have a great performance but i travel from point A to B (most of the times ...) with undeniable style!

I would love to hear some stories of yours with this bike!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
Nikolya
Rider

I loved my Izh. It was my first real motorcycle that I rode everywhere. I bought it for cheap and it was required some attention from my side. It was reliable bike. I put around 10K miles in one season without any major issues.

Start of the project:

When it was done:

The main problem is difficult to find good quality parts for these bikes.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
KevlarIZH
Adventurer

Mi Rusita...

This is my 1994 Planeta 5, bought new a few month ago, now 800 km.

This particular bike is the highway model (7.107-015)......... the original design, dirt model ( 7.107L-010) shares 90% components with mine.

Back in the late 80`s the russian manufacturer IZHMASH, make a developing from the original model getting some transfer of japanesse tecnology for neumatic/hidraulic fork, front disk brake, alloys wheels and carburator (MIKUNI = Pekar)

I´m very pleased I find user´s reviews of the IZH...........keep it coming !!
Attached Images

KevlarIZH screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 12:51 PM
Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #25
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,401
Hi KevlarIZH!

I saw your thread and was going to reply. Yep, still have the IZh and putt around on it from time to time. I like the bike! Good luck with your machine and let me know if I can help. I see your's is a slightly different model than mine - upgraded forks, wheels and disk brake!!

bluesman - I understand what you are saying. We all like different things. I think it is crazy they want Harleys and Cessnas in Russia. Here we want IZhs and Yaks!!!

Пока пока...
Даглас
Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #26
Nikolya
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevlarIZH View Post
Nice bike!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #27
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevlarIZH View Post
Thank you very much for your insights and comments, sure was a very hard and sad time and for those who do not live that, is difficult to understand.

For my part I only can talk about my feelings about these vehicles, I have a Russian VAZ 2105 sedan and recently bought a motorcycle Planet 5 (see my other threads in this forum)

I bought the car because it was one of the cheapest on the market and in these 4 years has given me good service, it does not break more often than others and when it does, the mechanic is affordable and spare parts are cheap.

I feel meets my needs and my family´s and I'm satisfied.

The bike is a different case, I like classic bikes and wanted to have one for the pleasure of riding it and the price is a factor, here the classic worth more than a car.

Upon learning of the existence of Planet here, I found I like its old-fashioned style ( German technology of the 30's mixed with a touch of the big Japanese bikes from the 80's and russian craftsmanship )

I always had 2-stroke motorcycles, and had the oportunity to have a famous classic bike, with its old style riding feeling and street legal at a price I could afford,made me decide to buy it.

Recently I have it and so far has not given me any headaches .... we will see later.

Both in my car and the bike I love the Practical design, devoid of ornaments so common in modern products.

Not Have a great performance but i travel from point A to B (most of the times ...) with undeniable style!

I would love to hear some stories of yours with this bike!
Yep, I see your point. It's just really interesting to see how two different "worlds" meet so many years later in form of vehicle. When we were chasing after WWII Harley WLAs it seems Western countries (as they called you guys on news) were enjoying old Russian antiques.
You got export version of 2105. You should have tried to drive ours God, 4 years of non-breaking 2105 was miracle by our standard. Cars were exported with different level of QA, I remember how everyone wanted "export LADA".

Well, my stories about Izh are ugly, no point in sharing. Fixing it for drunk people who would crush it into ditch next day, buying parts from factory that were missing thermal treatment, "upgrading" ignition with unreliable bulky parts...
Just because I was student with no income but love to machinery.

But history of Soviet motorcycle manufacturing - that is kinda interesting and I know a lot about it also from some people, who were involved in it first hand.

I myself had a bit of quality time with Planeta Sport (could not afford it, it was neighbourgh bike, priced twice of Planeta 5 price) and lot of villagers Izh56, Planeta 5, Saturns (rare), Jupiter 4 and 5, Minsk, K750 (wonderful old boxer, more reliable than any of those) etc. etc.
All of those 2-stroke bikes except 2 cyl Jupiter, 32 bhp Planeta Sport and 125 cc Minsk (different factory) derive from german pre-WWII DKW 350. 4 strokes - from BMW R71, Minsk - DKW RT125.
I myself drove for quite some time Dnepr (sidecar rig without sidecar, chopper style - I was youn and dumb) and spent lot of time with my friends sporting anything from Jawa 250 to Urals etc. When we got our grabby hands on third-hand grey import Hondas etc. it was like revelation that bike can actually run like rocket, handle like dream, brake like anchored etc. etc. and won't require to mess up with it every 1000 km.

Anyway, I sincerely wish you won't have any any troubles with your Izh - it is something that defo stands out in crowd outside of ex-Soviet and have its own meaning...kinda cool.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #28
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
Hi KevlarIZH!

I saw your thread and was going to reply. Yep, still have the IZh and putt around on it from time to time. I like the bike! Good luck with your machine and let me know if I can help. I see your's is a slightly different model than mine - upgraded forks, wheels and disk brake!!

bluesman - I understand what you are saying. We all like different things. I think it is crazy they want Harleys and Cessnas in Russia. Here we want IZhs and Yaks!!!

Пока пока...
Даглас

Wait, you got Dnepr 11. That I understand - had one. I hope you have "export" model.
But. I wonder about other one. Is it K750? I am from Kiev, this should tell you why I ask...It is original K750 or really military version MV750 with K750 engine?
Either way - this is truly rare and cool machine. I loved riding it (we removed sidecar, it was my friend's bike).
It really kinda cool oldtimer feel.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
RomaDakota OP
Illuminatus!

Oddometer: 1,401
Hi Bluesman -
It is a real MV750, not K750. I looked for a long, long time...
Old 01-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #30
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

What can I say....

Built in my home city. Last decent "utility bike" we had! Utterly brilliant.