ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Corvallis area riders

So I was just wondering if there are any ADVers here who are in the Corvallis/Monmouth/Albany/other area? I'm a junior in mechanical engineering at OSU, so I'm in Corvallis for another two years (maybe less?). I was getting bored this week and thought that a ride would be a lot of fun if anyone knows any good places. I did Mary's Peak a week ago with my brother and dad, but they live in Portland... So, if there are any sunny weekends (fingers crossed), maybe we could meet up and do some rides?

Oh and while I'm here, I may as well ask if there are any dual sport riders at OSU. I've seen a couple KLRs around...
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
2much2do
Motorpsychlist

Oddometer: 174
There are several of us in the general area. I ride back and forth between Sweet Home and Philomath during the week, so if you're looking at the right time you might see me go by. The hills to the east are a good bet for riding until the snow closes them down. I hear there is plenty of fun to be had south of Mary's Peak as well, but I haven't explored that area much.

-Wes
-1 Kings 20:11
2much2do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
I saw lots of DS bikes this Spring and Summer commuting. between Albany and Corvallis. I've been off the bike for a couple months due to injury but am starting to get back to it now.

I'm not a student or faculty but I do work in connection to OSU.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

It looks like I will be passing through Philomath a lot on weekends to go to the mountains or to go to the beach. What do you ride 2much?

Also, last weekend we saw what we thought was a 990 Adv coming up Mary's Peak as we were heading back down. An Adv'er perhaps?

By the way, it's extremely easy to notice me. I ride a Zebra-painted Africa Twin. It's hard to miss...
Old 10-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

A nice pavement trip is to head down to Alsea Falls. There's lots of gravel roads out in the Coast range south and West of Mary's Peak (Siuslaw NF).
Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
green08
GreenKLR08

Oddometer: 46
I live in albany, I'm always up for a ride. I cant't do it this weekend it is ELK SEASON!( unless I shoot one opening day). Anyother time I'm good. I have been wanting to hit the high cascades before the snow comes, maybe get an overnight camp in. A friend at work just bought a KTM 630 and is in need of dual sport tires, so if he gets his tires we can all go for a exploration up to cascades.
green08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

That would be cool. I'm in 3rd year of ME right now so I am extremely busy and probably wouldn't be able to do an overnight thing unless I got all my work done during the week.... But we will see.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR
I saw lots of DS bikes this Spring and Summer commuting. between Albany and Corvallis.
Alot of them were prolly some of us coming back from one of Raindogs events in Yachats last spring and summer

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

I just went and did the Mary's Peak ride again with a friend on his CBR. The 34 section of it had the best curves and I'm wondering if the twisties continue if you don't turn off on Mary's Peak Road? It was a good day yesterday though, last bit of dry weather for a bit I'm guessing.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,885
Hey E-Bum, there's about a dozen or so dual-sport riders that are active in Corvallis. We just did a ride on Sunday (today) that basically made a circle around Mary's Peak on hard packed dirt two track. You start in Philomath, follow hwy 20, left on Woods Creek Rd, at the gate make a right, at the tee make a right, then get lost.

It goes close to Burnt Woods, Harlan, Elk City, Alsea and back to Philomath.

Get yourself a Siuslaw NF map and a Bench Mark Oregon Atlas. For the summer, get a Wilamette NF map for the cascades. You won't need more than those for a long time.

You can make a great loop on pavement. Go out west on 34 to the berg of Alsea, Left on 201 (Lobster Vly Rd) for a mile, then left toward Alsea Falls. Just keep on the pavement and you'll end up in Alpine. This is a BLM Back Country By Way. Make a left in Alpine and you'll end up back in Philomath. Maybe take you 1 1/2 hour. Will take you weeks to forget it.

We have a group of old farts that have lunch in Corvallis on Thursday at various locations. PM me with your e-mail addr. and I'll put you on the e-mail list.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 617
Hi E-Bum,

sounds like some great options coming your way!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
2much2do
Motorpsychlist

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum
It looks like I will be passing through Philomath a lot on weekends to go to the mountains or to go to the beach. What do you ride 2much?
I'm on a red R1200GS, usually with some side bags on it.

-Wes
-1 Kings 20:11
2much2do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:59 AM   #13
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash
Alot of them were prolly some of us coming back from one of Raindogs events in Yachats last spring and summer
Could have been, but were you on the road at 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM on a regular basis?

I spent the day on Sunday out in the Siuslaw driving around so I now know a couple more roads out there that I didn't before. There's lots of DS opportunities out there.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:01 AM   #14
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum
I just went and did the Mary's Peak ride again with a friend on his CBR. The 34 section of it had the best curves and I'm wondering if the twisties continue if you don't turn off on Mary's Peak Road? It was a good day yesterday though, last bit of dry weather for a bit I'm guessing.
The curves pretty much end there as far as Hwy34 goes but there's some nice curves heading up to Alsea Falls too (watch for moss on the road though).
Old 10-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #15
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Hm, I will definitely take a look at the Alsea Falls ride one of these days when my workload decides to cool off. Zuber, you have a PM .