ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #16
raindog
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,990
swing by independent motorcycle repair in Philomath and introduce yourself to Jonas..he's an ADV'r

Gravity's dog lives in Corvallis near 30th
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #17
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,903
I'd focus on exploring the cascades side of things this time of year. It won't be long before it will be closed by snow, then ride the coast range when the passes get snowed in.
Have you ridden the 11 road above Green-Peter reservoir? It's paved all the way over, but is a really nice day ride, and will be snowbound soon. There are lots of gravel roads up there as well.
As Zuber said,,Benchmark Oregon atlas,,I cross reference with the forest service maps for more detail. There are more miles of gravel than there are of pavement in Oregon, and lots of it interconnects with a short hop on pavement in between.
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #18
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Corvallis area rides

E-Bum, I'll have to keep watch for you... as I work in Corvallis and ride my Honda CB250 "dual sport" to work every day. 70 mpg (+/- 5 mpg). I've been riding the coast range since 1965 on small street bikes that we used dual sport, with knobbies etc. I still have the 17" tire chain from my Suzuki 150 cc.

We are a materials test lab located in Corvallis. An OSU physics prof stated our company nearly 20 years ago. We have lots of OSU alumni working in the lab.

We went to Fort Rock over labor day and rode the desert gravel and sand roads. Even met an ADVrider and his friend at the motel in Christmas Valley.

I'm getting ready for elk hunting next month but would be up for a Sunday afternoon ride. I'd like to hit Sisters, OR on Hwy 20 and ride over to Mt Bachelor on gravel roads before it gets closed by snow.

Smilin Jack
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #19
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Thanks suggestions, peterman.

Smilin jack, I could have sworn I saw an older, small Honda the other way on 3rd street (or maybe 4th.... its the one that goes through Corvallis and turns into 99 S) walking on my way to Safeway. Might have been you. If I see a CB again I'll give them the ADV salute. If I get a nod or something I'll know it was you.... If I come home with a black eye, I'll know it wasn't.
And it won't be hard for yo uto spot me, as I'll be riding the Zebra Africa Twin.

The Cascades seem like they would be really fun to ride through although I think a trip like that would warrant a couple day ride. Does anyone know when the passes generally close? Soon I'm assuming...
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack
I'm getting ready for elk hunting next month but would be up for a Sunday afternoon ride. I'd like to hit Sisters, OR on Hwy 20 and ride over to Mt Bachelor on gravel roads before it gets closed by snow.

Smilin Jack
I only know one road that connects from Sisters to Cascade Lakes Hwy. It's tough to get around the wilderness area. There's some cool terrain on Green Ridge (over by Black Butte) that's worth checking out.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #21
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Cascades riding today

Hey, I rode to Tombstone Pass on Hwy 20 this afternoon and took some nice gravel/dual track roads back to Sweet Home.

There were a few snow flakes mixed with the rain at the summit. I even stopped and put on my snow machine face mask to keep my chin warm.

It was a nice wet ride but I mostly stayed dry. The rubber work gloves with insulated liners helped to keep the hands dry. My Gor-tex boots let a little water onto the socks but I stayed warm. The gravel roads had creeks running down the ruts... it WAS RAINing. Didn't see any wildlife, but maybe next time. I saw two bears in Septeber in the same area. They were eating wild strawberries on the shoulder of the back road.

The ride was a good test of the First Gear rain suit. No leaks to report.

You'll recognize me on the bike by the OSU highway worker vest that I always were when riding.

Smilin Jack
Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #22
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Snow closing the back roads

E-Bum, Usually the back roads don't close until mid to late November, but the one from Sisters heading south past 3 Creeks lake to Mt Bachelor is higher and closes pretty soon.

That's a great ride, but the USFS may have the gates closed most of the time... they seem to do that a lot... closing roads. Don't get caught behind their locked gates. The local paper said something about a $1000 fine for doing that, and the USFS law enforcement guys carry black rifles and their side arms to put some teeth in what they say. Just smile at them a lot!

My old black Honda is a CB250 Nighthawk with dual sport tires and still has only 6.5" of ground clearance, but just watch for the bigger rocks.

later

Smilin Jack
Old 11-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #23
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Doh, forgot the picture

E-Bum, here's the picture to spot me on the road.

Smilin Jack

smilin jack screwed with this post 11-27-2008 at 10:28 AM
Old 11-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #24
Gravity's Dog
Amanda's brother

Oddometer: 29,137
I'm in Corvallis... occasionally.

Guess I'll hafta do a little gathering fer the locals if I get home for any amount of time.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #25
Brian_M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Hey I'm in Corvallis too. I'm a Junior at OSU also (electrical engineering). I don't have a dual sport but if you ever see a metallic gray Aprilia Futura parked on 23rd & Monroe that's me.
Brian_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #26
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
I'll keep an eye out for you smilin jack.

Brian, I think I may have seen that bike around. Chances are we've been in some of the same classes too. Weird.

Anyways, two weeks ago, I did that Alsea Falls loop that someone had mentioned and it was awesome. Here's a few pics from it:

E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #27
Bucket Boy
The other mechanic

Oddometer: 369
Me too, me too.

I just got off a 2 year ride and moved to Corvallis. Lets make a meet up- say a thursday evening???????? Ideas?
Bucket Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #28
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Bum
Now that's a Fall color picture!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #29
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,726
The SUN?

What's that thing?

Anyone want to DS ride on Sunday? (nov 16th)
Start in Philomath and go west? Somewhere, anywhere, mostly two track.

How about anyone meet at the Philomath Coffee shop, just east of the Chevron station. Leave from there about 9am. Back about 4 pm.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #30
Bucket Boy
The other mechanic

Oddometer: 369
in.
Bucket Boy is offline   Reply With Quote