ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #61
KLR PILGRIM
SICK ASS ADVENTURE RIDER.

Oddometer: 863
ohhh hh... I was thinking Med. Exam......lol
2009KLR650,Blue
2007KLR650 Red Sold
1975XL350 sold
2007 pontoon boat
2007 Gun Dog,
KLR PILGRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #62
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,537
Corvallis ride on Dec 6th?

Wednesday,
Hey Guys, Looks like Saturday will be the best day this weekend. 50-55, cloudy, but a very low chance of rain. If you want to do some two-track in the coast range come on out. Usually, we do about 80 to 120 miles, back about 4 pm.

Meet up at the 2nd Street Bean (Allan Bros, South of the Post Office) about 9 AM. We'll probably get gas on the way.

The weather has been hanging in there so far, but this may be the last time for the year.

Went out last weekend and did the 'Woods Creek, Shotpouch, Burnt Woods Ridge, Baber Ridge, Elk City, Toledo' ride. This is just a fantastic ridge ride, if it's clear. There's a good BBQ in Toledo now. You only need to do about 1 mile of pavement to reach it. We came back on the 'Nye Beach, Harlan, Mary's peak' route. I'm ready to do this again.

I'm an ME at HP. I'm usually on an Orange KTM 950, BMW or XR650. This time of the year I only get to ride one day on the weekend.

Hang in there you ME's. It eventually pays off with better toys.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #63
FlyingDirt
???

Oddometer: 8
Weekend Ride

That sounds like a great ride. I should be able to make it.

Colin and I wandered around west of Mary's Peak yesterday off of Yew Creek Road. In and out of the clouds, got plenty lost, fell a bit, got cold, sprayed the mud off the bikes when we got back...great time.
Grab life by the horns and let it fall on you.
FlyingDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #64
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
I should have probably mentioned that yesterday was the annual ME 382 design competition in which we had to design and build rovers that picked up rocks and climbed obstacles. We placed 18/28. Pretty good considering 2 of our 4 group members literally did nothing the entire term.

Just thought some of you local ME's may have wanted to know.
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #65
hitthedirt
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Nice, I went and watched the very end of it. At least the competition didn't suck like last years did, nobody got anything accomplished. And yup, with you on the group member problems there... Glad it turned out ok.

I'm out for the ride this weekend, as the final proposal for our senior project is due on Monday. Good luck though!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #66
oregonlmd
Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer: 96
Goodbye KLR650, hello XR650L

I just sold off my KLR650 to a newly-riding friend, and turned around 3 hours later and replaced it with an XR650L that's had just about all the stuff that makes one weigh more than an XR600 replaced with better stuff.
So, still can go everywhere a KLR would, plus more places more easily. And, by the way, if anyone knows anyone who has one of these bikes and wants to lower it, it has a Devol lowering link on it that I will be replacing as soon as I obtain a stock link.
Also...
I posted earlier in this thread about putting together a 2-day ride (could easily swell into a 3-dayer) in SW Oregon in the spring. I've got the route all planned out in my brain (no I-5, and little numbered highways, moderate amount of dirt/gravel, no trails, camping), have 2 others signed up currently. Anyone who would like to do that ride and has input as to what route they'd like to cover in that area or on the way there/back, let me know.
oregonlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #67
KLR PILGRIM

what about am Oregon Ghost town tour ride? exsploring some of Oregons old Ghost town....
2009KLR650,Blue
2007KLR650 Red Sold
1975XL350 sold
2007 pontoon boat
2007 Gun Dog,
Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #68
oregonlmd

The loop I have in my head in SW Oregon would come out of a 40-mile dirt section right at the remnants of Waldo, now most surely a ghost town (as in there's nothing there but maybe ghosts now). Waldo was originally known as Sailor's Diggings, since supposedly sailors in port at San Francisco would jump ship and head to this area to find gold. This community was for a short period of time the largest community in Josephine County. There used to be a large plaque there explaining it all, but being brass and all it disappeared some time ago, and was probably turned into meth.

A ghost-town theme would work well. Ensures that the route would get ya out in the midst of nowhere often enough to keep it all interesting. It seems that a ride like this would primarily be in Central/Eastern Oregon, yes?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #69
KLR PILGRIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonlmd
The loop I have in my head in SW Oregon would come out of a 40-mile dirt section right at the remnants of Waldo, now most surely a ghost town (as in there's nothing there but maybe ghosts now). Waldo was originally known as Sailor's Diggings, since supposedly sailors in port at San Francisco would jump ship and head to this area to find gold. This community was for a short period of time the largest community in Josephine County. There used to be a large plaque there explaining it all, but being brass and all it disappeared some time ago, and was probably turned into meth.

A ghost-town theme would work well. Ensures that the route would get ya out in the midst of nowhere often enough to keep it all interesting. It seems that a ride like this would primarily be in Central/Eastern Oregon, yes?

Maybe not there is bohemia, and another in the cottage grove area. Also there are 3 out in the Alma area and 1 or 2 from florence up to waldport.
I will do a little research on it and let you know... there are G/T in E.Or. that are crazy Old gas station with the pumps and houses with dishes in cubarts old farm houses it just looked like the people up and walked away... There Is a video on it I watched , will rent again and take some notes...There are also hot springs out that way too that would really come in handy at the end of a long days ride..
2009KLR650,Blue
2007KLR650 Red Sold
1975XL350 sold
2007 pontoon boat
2007 Gun Dog,
Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #70
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Add me to emailings - I am in Salem. May be able to attend a few functions... just getting back in to dual sporting. Recently updated my old 1978 DT400 Yamaha to a DRZ400S.
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #71
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

I just wanted to say that the ride home on I-5 during this winter storm on Friday was the worst ride.... ever. I am pretty sure my Nitro gear attracted water instead of repelling it. I got tons of funny looks too...
Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #72
FlyingDirt
???

Oddometer: 8
Sunday 1/18 Ride

We are planning to ride out of Corvallis Sunday morning and take the ridges out to Toledo for some BBQ. The return will probably be south out of Toledo and back to Mary's Peak.

Anyone interested? We are going to meet up at the Corvallis Beanery on 2nd Street at 9AM.

This is mostly dirt and will take nearly all day.

So far: Suzuki 400, Husky 450, and Husky 610.
Grab life by the horns and let it fall on you.
FlyingDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #73
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Corvallis Ride

Hey, your Sunday ride sounds fun.

I did a ride today. Here is the ride report, minus the pictures.

Ride Report 1/15/09

I left Lebanon about 10 am and headed west to Waldport, following Hwy 34. The temperature near Corvallis was 37F at a local bank reader board. There was frost on the roadsides and fields that were shaded from the sun.

This is Waldport Bay Bridge on Hwy 101 looking south.

I followed Hwy 101 north traveling along the Pacific Ocean. I stopped at several view points to take photos, including Seal Rock.

Seal Rock, OR looking north.

After Seal Rock, I continued north to Newport, OR and drove along the bay front road. It was very congested with tourists, which surprised me, being a Thursday.

This is looking NW over the Pacific Ocean from the South Jetty at Newport.

This is looking south from the Newport South Jetty.

Looking north from the South Jetty. Lots of fishing boats today as the sea was very calm.
I drove through a few hundred yards of deep sand to reach the jetty. I slid myself back on the seat and skied my feet to prevent a fall.

This is the west view at the South Jetty.

This is Whale Cove looking north along the Oregon coastline.

After reaching the Siletz river, I turned east on Hwy 229 and followed the river through the woods about 40 miles to Siletz, OR and continued to Toledo, OR at the junction with Hwy 20 back toward Corvallis. By the time I reached Corvallis, it was getting dark and the bank sign in Philomath said 42F. About 10 miles more and I reached Corvallis and the bank sign said 37F again. I was glad to be wearing the pack boots and First Gear insulated rain suit.

Another view of Whale Cove State Park along Hwy 101.

Uncle Jeff said Im having too much fun for an old guy. Maybe so, after riding 225 miles today. I'm not an IRON BUTT... and I'm saddle sore.

David
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #74
oregonlmd

Cry

I'd be there with my XR650L, but it's rear shock is currently non-functional (rebound needle appears to be stuck closed) . Count me in on rides in February sometime...
Everbody have a good time!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #75
E-Bum OP
Studly Adventurer

Wow, nice day today for a ride... Too bad my AT is sleeping in Portland.

Here's a question for Corvallis area people.

I have noticed a dual sport on 4th street, in the U Haul rental lot for a few months now, and it hasn't moved. This week I had time to go take a closer look, and holy crap, it's an early 90's Transalp! I don't remember if it was the 600 or 650 XLV, but either way it looked in pretty torn up shape, although it looks like someone was working on it (cylinder heads off).

Anyone here own that thing?