ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #23041
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
this person is absolutely one of the smartest people I know. So I was pretty surprised to hear them say they saw no reason to have ABS on a bike.

but from what they said, their MSF instructor had convinced them that all braking would happen before they entered a corner.

I've never taken an MSF course, so I don't know what the instructors say / how they say it to get riders thinking that way.
I scrub speed all they way through if I have to, does not make for the best lap times but I don't crash very often
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #23042
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
unless you get near a puddle.

Technically I didn't crash, the bike was upright the whole time.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #23043
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
the bike stayed upright because it knows how grumpy you get when it gets dirt on it.

weak man, weak. I expected more from you.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #23044
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,558
The story is about that particular LeMans…

Several years ago Jon, a friend of mine here in Maine had been looking for a LeMans as he had owned one five years prior, let it go and wanted another.

I found him one in Michigan that the owner had taken down to paint the frame and possibly do a full restoration. He had bagged and tagged all the small parts, hardware, nuts & bolts.
The engine and tranny had not been taken down and the project was ready to start.

So, Jon and the owner in Michigan negotiated a price, Jon asked if I would “Assemble” the Lemans for him if he had it shipped out to Maine, naturally I agreed to take the project.

The fellow standing there is Don, the UPS Delivery Driver that brought the Lemans to my place in fifteen (15) boxes….!

During the time that Don would deliver parts of the LeMans we would shoot the breeze about motorcycles , we came to be friends, he rides all kinds of different motorcycles, Harley, BMW, DR 650... Etc.

We have a Chocolate Lab, Madison that would love to see Don show up, she knew she would get a biscuit from the guy in that brown truck. Don has a photo that we took of Madison & Don in the UPS truck in a family photo album…

Well Don moved out our area a few years ago and I lost track of him, went to Bangor and although we have a great UPS guy now (Always has a biscuit for Maddy) I missed seeing Don's smiling face, bringing cycles parts and the other stuff that Sue Ellen orders on-line and shootin’ the breeze about motorcycles.
When Don figured out that I would be at the Owls Head Meet via the Adv board, he made a point of coming down to look me up, glad he did… we will be able to ride together now.

The LeMans behind him is the result of the boxes that he brought to me, Jon is still riding it.

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #23045
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,348
nice story, when I first started riding with Don this summer, he mentioned wanting to connect with you after so many deliveries and then him getting on to ADV.....nice
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #23046
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,049
Great story, Rob.

Can you tell us another one, please?

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #23047
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,449
Here's a big shout out to you great Mainers!! Thanks !! You guys are the best!

http://www.wcax.com/story/15397978/maine-transportation-workers-to-help-vt-post-irene

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) - The Maine Department of Transportation is sending workers and equipment to Vermont to help repair roads and bridges damaged by Tropical Storm Irene.
The department is planning to send 149 employees to Vermont on Tuesday, along with excavators, loaders, graders, dump trucks and other equipment. As of Sunday, Vermont had 18 bridges closed and over 200 miles of roads that were damaged or closed.
Vermont requested Maine's assistance on Friday.
Maine Transportation Commissioner David Bernhardt says storm repairs are continuing in his state, but they are not as extensive as those in Vermont.

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #23048
vorg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Seems like it was more than 15 boxes...

Was pretty cool to see the steady progress of a pile of parts and a couple coffee cans of fasteners assembled into a classic Guzzi... piece by meticulous piece.
vorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #23049
goodolguzzi
Guzzen around the hood

Oddometer: 2,207
Public Guzzigig Anouncement:

10th Annual Maine Moto Guzzi Rally
September 9,10,11 2011

The Maine Eagle Squadron invites you to their rally at Two Rivers Campground in Skowhegan, Maine
Come to Maine and enjoy great riding, great company and a great time. Ride up to the Carrabassette Valley/Moosehead Lake region for moose sightings.
Ride over to the coast for fresh Maine Lobster lunch. Or explore Maine's backroads on your own.
Join the Maine Eagle Squadron for their annual picnic table bonfire, Galen's famous grolla, and good old-fashioned Italian commraderie.
The cost is $45 which includes camping, showers, Friday night road-kill stew, Saturday night spaghetti dinner and 50/50 raffle and awards.
Registration should be made by September 1st with Dan at Two Rivers Campground: 207-474-6482. As always, strays are welcome.
There are local motels for the less adventurous.
Two Rivers Campground website: www.tworvrs.com

The Fly`in sounds like a good destination...
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #23050
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi View Post
The story is about that particular LeMans…

Great story Rad!

Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #23051
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolguzzi View Post
Public Guzzigig Anouncement:

10th Annual Maine Moto Guzzi Rally
September 9,10,11 2011

The Maine Eagle Squadron invites you to their rally at Two Rivers Campground in Skowhegan, Maine
Come to Maine and enjoy great riding, great company and a great time. Ride up to the Carrabassette Valley/Moosehead Lake region for moose sightings.
Ride over to the coast for fresh Maine Lobster lunch. Or explore Maine's backroads on your own.
Join the Maine Eagle Squadron for their annual picnic table bonfire, Galen's famous grolla, and good old-fashioned Italian commraderie.
The cost is $45 which includes camping, showers, Friday night road-kill stew, Saturday night spaghetti dinner and 50/50 raffle and awards.
Registration should be made by September 1st with Dan at Two Rivers Campground: 207-474-6482. As always, strays are welcome.
There are local motels for the less adventurous.
Two Rivers Campground website: www.tworvrs.com

The Fly`in sounds like a good destination...

It's been said to be a nice weather weekend too.
We may take a ride up on Saturday to see the sites/bikes. Only up the road 15 minutes or so.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #23052
radguzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorg View Post
Seems like it was more than 15 boxes...

I really did not keep a list and I didn't want to exaggerate for the sake of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
Here's a big shout out to you great Mainers!! Thanks !! You guys are the best!
If the storm had blow a little to the East, you would be doing the same thing for Maine. Hope you and yours are doing alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
It's been said to be a nice weather weekend too.
We may take a ride up on Saturday to see the sites/bikes. Only up the road 15 minutes or so.
Come on over, I'll bring the beer truck/Guzzi Hack...!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #23053
radguzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Great story, Rob.

Can you tell us another one, please?

Well I can tell you the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say… I left that out of the first post so as not to bore you to tears. This is actually is a very funny tale.

Once upon a time Jon, new owner of the LeMans had owned a LeMans, bought it from Gerry Milano at about the time that he wanted to open the shop in Windham, he got it for a good price.

Jon rode the Guzzi for a few years, he also suffers from MBS so several other motorcycles came and went while the LeMans saw limited duty.

One day he came to me and said that he wanted to sell the lonesome Guzzi…
I happened to be going to the Larz Anderson Euro-Trash show in Brookline, Mass with a couple of m/c’s of my own to show and I offered to take his down to display it with a for sale sign on it.

There was much interest in the 850 in Boston but I still brought it home with me.

Next day Jon gets a call from an Indian collector/restoration type guy in Berwick, said he wanted the Guzzi. We met at my place the next night and the m/c was sold and carted away.

Five years later Jon calls looking for another LeMans, which is where this entire diatribe started.

When I told Jon about the Guzzi in Detroit, he and the owner negotiated and the deal was done.

Jon called to tell me “That’s my LeMans”… and it was in the works to begin shipping the Guzzi in many boxes. I just assumed that was his way of telling me that he bought it…told him that I was excited for him, he asked if I heard what he said, Sure why…?

He bought his own 1977 LeMans back that he had sold some five years later.

How cool is that…?

Now you know “The rest of the story”

Oh, the Guzzi is not leaving again according to Jon.

Now go to bed…

Ni-Night…!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #23054
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,049
Night back story.

Thanks for sharing it.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility