ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #29836
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Nice area, think I know the road you're talking about.

Wife and I were spending some quality time in the canoe slaying the fishes.

its the Kenney Rd from 137 up to 139/Brooks area, whole road is either curve or hill and smooth pavement..
last night was nice riding, most of the roads had shade and so temps were in the mid 70s thru the evening...

We spent Wed. nite in the kayaks...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #29837
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

interior Gaspe ride is on, got someone from NB going, Aug 12-17
pm if interested
LifeSong
Old 07-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #29838
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Very sad news

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/20...-car-in-Poland

Condolences to family and friends.

Makes you think... I ride on that road twice a day.

Stay safe.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #29839
EMS541A
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
If you actively worried about the cars in the other lane, or every last rustle in the woods, you'd never be able to even ride a straight line!

I've been to a very good percentage of the motorcycle crashes in the area in the past five years (nothing gets me out of bed like a motorcycle crash, because not just once has it been someone I know personally), whether I'm scheduled to be on duty or not.

Sometimes they're avoidable (people riding outside of their skill level, idiots doing idiot things, drunks, people not paying attention, the list goes on for this one), sometimes the extent of the injuries could have been lessened with gear, sometimes they're just freak accidents. Sometimes a minor accident results in serious injuries, sometimes a major one results in little to none. I saw a lady after she had struck a moose on a Sportster. Moose ran right out in front of her in a 55mph zone at night, and she struck it dead on. She broke a rib and broke her arm, and that's it. I've seen a guy after low siding at 100+ mph with no gear on who survived (most of his skin didn't, but that's another story). And I've seen people get taken away in a helicopter after very low speed accidents where they were not at fault and there was nothing they could have done except never gotten onto a bike.

The way I see it, it's all a calculated risk. The fun I have far outweighs the risk to myself, if I ride within my (and the road's) limits and play it safe. Sometimes that means all the gear I can pack onto my body, or acting like every last car is going to try to hit me when they turn onto the road.

Point in case: I was at Rave X in Portland yesterday (great locally owned shop, a little too oriented towards 16 year old Fox wearing kids, and almost everything has to be ordered, but I try to keep my paycheck, which is paid for by Maine residents, inside Maine. My old helmet's visor was falling off, so I figured I'd buy a new helmet, and they're even shipping me back my old helmet for free!) and when I was leaving the road leading to the complex (the road across from where Congress forks to the left to go past the airport, the one that circles around the airport opposite Congress). I had a green light, the people turning left in front of me had a green light, so obviously I had the right of way since they didn't have a green arrow and I'm going straight. I inch forward from the stop, two cars pull right out in front of me without a care in the world. I slam on the brakes and almost lock the rear, and once I'm stopped I look at the truck still sitting at the light, look him dead in the eyes to make sure HE sees me, and start to move forward. And he mats it, cuts right in front of me, and comes within a foot of striking the front of the durz.

I'd like to think I did everything I possibly can to ride safe right there, but sometimes it just doesn't matter. You can't account for everything and everyone else on the road, I still almost got plastered and almost got my brand-y new motocross helmet ruined on the spot. It's just something you have to be aware of and a risk you have to accept and minimize every time you swing a leg over the bike. You can't deny the risk is there, you can't think it'll never happen to you, you've just gotta accept it and decide how much YOU are going to do to minimize the risk, or how much you're going to do to lessen the possible injuries.

On a side note... stromsurfer, can I have your life?!
EMS541A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #29840
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
For those of you with Netflix, the documentary "Fastest" is on watch it now. Don't miss it!

internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #29841
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/07/1...-in-collision/

all the gear helped out....deer runs into side of bike....can't avoid that but the rider was ready...
LifeSong
Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #29842
EMS541A
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
http://bangordailynews.com/2012/07/1...-in-collision/

all the gear helped out....deer runs into side of bike....can't avoid that but the rider was ready...

I can't imagine anything more terrifying then actually hitting a deer. Coming close is terrifying.

I had a moose pop out of the woods and stand on the side of the road once... I come to a stop and stare over at the moose, and the bastard just stares back at me. I didn't wanna blast the throttle and have the moose get startled, so I start moving real slow, and the moose walks alongside me on the side of the road, just staring at my SV650. I tried to accelerate slowly, but the bastard kept up with me up to around 30mph until I metaphorically crossed my fingers and just blasted the throttle to get away from him.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #29843
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
For those of you with Netflix, the documentary "Fastest" is on watch it now. Don't miss it!

Aaachooo wheeze sniff sniff ......

SICK LEAVE time got watch that ..... I mean go home and get some rest.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #29844
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post
Aaachooo wheeze sniff sniff ......

SICK LEAVE time got watch that ..... I mean go home and get some rest.
Nothing a 160 mile-nrthjstnrth -rip wont cure.....
2twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #29845
Autocracy
KLR = Trials bike?

Oddometer: 534
EMS -- what city do you work for? Have you heard any stories about mimes in the ambulance bay at Mercy last weekend?

SIG: HUP
Autocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #29846
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted View Post
Nothing a 160 mile-nrthjstnrth -rip wont cure.....
yessah, b'ye!!!!!
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #29847
shoein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Unfortunately sometimes a deer can be hard to avoid. On the way home from whitehorse this year I was following behind Lisa when a deer ran out from the bushes, jumping over the front of my bike. I think he kicked the fender as the bike veered hard to the ditch. I found my self in the ditch at 55mph trying to keep the bike upright, bounced through some bushes and rocks and managed to get the bike slowed and back onto the road. Found a very bent rear rim and flat tire from hitting rocks. I am extremely lucky and will continue to wear my protective gear. As Geode said this is the risk we take. When I see riders in flip flops and tanktops I hope they never learn the hard way that sometimes you can't contol what happens.
shoein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #29848
heatmaker
WWC FOUNDING MEMBER

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
I agree with T..like it or not you are inspirational

And that sail/power/fly repeat trip sounds like a blast...share some pic's please
Im with these shit heads. Rock on man!!!
heatmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #29849
EMS541A
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocracy View Post
EMS -- what city do you work for? Have you heard any stories about mimes in the ambulance bay at Mercy last weekend?
I work at Fryeburg Rescue, we cover... Fryeburg, Stow, Lovell, Brownfield and Chatham NH, including Evan's Notch. A HUGE coverage area! We're the... third or fourth busiest service in Oxford County, the #1 busiest out of all the former volunteer services, and we just run 911 calls, no hospital transfers or anything like that. We're actually no longer volunteer at all, so I work far past full time hours. I gotta add that I think I'm the only person in the world responding to 911 calls on a supermoto.

But mimes, no... now I gotta find someone who heard. Dare I ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromsurfer View Post
I ride everyday in the fear that I wont be able to ride tomorrow.
You ARE an inspiration, even for those of us blessed with perfect health! If you're out there doing everything you want to in the face of adversity, I should be living life just as hard while I'm still young and dumb. Your wife sounds like an amazing, supportive woman.

And I echo PWRCRZR... I wanna see some pictures from that trip!

EMS541A screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 04:54 PM
Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #29850
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,092
There's a story in there...

Killer day with SpawnOfEC, yesterday.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote