ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #31666
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolguzzi View Post
incase yaz wondering...homesafe&sound...Cali, you're the best!
She knows...

Welcome back dood, been watchin' and right there with ya...!

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #31667
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
One day, if he's not careful, a bunch of hooligans are gonna show up at his brother's house in Arizona and take over the desert.
It's really nice here in February. Baja is great that time of year too.

A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #31668
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
One day, if he's not careful, a bunch of hooligans are gonna show up at his brother's house in Arizona and take over the desert.

IN

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #31669
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
Did you take the new atv trail up into Millinocket? The road up along Schoodic connects to the new trail and it was ridden on a DR650 Monday....
Where exactly is it?
You talking the old rail bed?
Big bike friendly?
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #31670
justdrew
underpowered

Oddometer: 402
crashing sucks

ugh... I high-sided the mini ninja off Hurricane Mtn Road yesterday.

The report - I was coming down the "Chatham" or western side doing approximately 35 mph. As I crested one of the steep rises a car came into view. I applied both brakes and attempted a mid corner correction in the off camber corner I was in. The result of a sharp downhill grade and off camber corner was a rear wheel lockup and slide. Releasing the locked up rear wheel caused the sudden gain of traction that sent me flying of the road and slammed the bike down on it's right side. We both tumbled to a stop just off the side of the road.

I came down hard on my right side and did ( I think) one flip before I stopped. My first thought was "OWW!" followed immediately by "Holy s..t, that was a high side!". A quick self exam found me in one piece and I realized it could have been A LOT worse. My suit did it's job, I didn't hit my head, and I was able to limp the bike home the 4 miles from where I was.

I'm a little sore in a few places, and I have a rashed bike to fix, but I came out of it relatively unscathed.

Ohh, and the car I wrecked trying to avoid didn't even stop.
justdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #31671
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
Where exactly is it?
You talking the old rail bed?
Big bike friendly?
check PM
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #31672
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdrew View Post

The report - I was coming down the "Chatham" or western side doing approximately 35 mph. As I crested one of the steep rises a car came into view. I applied both brakes and attempted a mid corner correction in the off camber corner I was in. The result of a sharp downhill grade and off camber corner was a rear wheel lockup and slide. Releasing the locked up rear wheel caused the sudden gain of traction that sent me flying of the road and slammed the bike down on it's right side. We both tumbled to a stop just off the side of the road.

I came down hard on my right side and did ( I think) one flip before I stopped. My first thought was "OWW!" followed immediately by "Holy s..t, that was a high side!". A quick self exam found me in one piece and I realized it could have been A LOT worse. My suit did it's job, I didn't hit my head, and I was able to limp the bike home the 4 miles from where I was.

I'm a little sore in a few places, and I have a rashed bike to fix, but I came out of it relatively unscathed.

Good to hear that you are ok, that is the most important part!

Ride like they dont give a shit, because they dont.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #31673
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdrew View Post

happens quick!

Glad you're ok man.
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #31674
stromsurfer
Stromsurfer

Oddometer: 628
Solo Motos

Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #31675
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,378
Hey Drew, glad to here you are OK for the most part. Bikes are replaceable.. We are not. I am sure you will be sore for a few days.

Friggin cagers are usually my biggest worry when playing on roads like Hurricane..

Heal quickly..
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #31676
mikewillsmith
Not the f'g fresh prince!

Oddometer: 1,807
+1 heal well Drew.

My bike turned 20K miles on the way into work today. Now I know that is not a milestone around here with the iron-ass crowd, but for me it is a lot of miles. Consider I had my first bike for about 8 years and only put 5K miles on it. This bike is only a few years old and already has 20K. In those 20K miles I have learned a ton about riding both on and off road, met some great people and seen some amazing things. Thanks to you all, you know who you are.
I'm looking forward to the next 20K.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #31677
justdrew
underpowered

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post

Friggin cagers are usually my biggest worry when playing on roads like Hurricane..
I went back to the "scene" this morning and three things occurred to me. The first is that I used up all the road I could and left a fairly impressive skid mark with the rear wheel. The second is that the skid started from the center of the road at the crown of the hill, which means I was not on my side, as much as you can have your own side on Hurricane. The third is that I picked the only flat, level spot to fall on the side of the road. A few feet further uphill would have me wrapped around a tree, a few feet further down and I'd have been in rocks and a ditch.

Playing CSI showed me I have to call this one rider error. Poor "lane" choice plus improper control inputs equals a bad day for Drew. No I'm not beating myself up, just callin' it like I see it.

Be careful out there folks, you never know what's coming around that next bend.
justdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #31678
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post

+1

Glad all is well!

-T
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #31679
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post

Gotta agree with THAT man.
Glad you are more or less well.

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #31680
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,501
Just curious ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolguzzi View Post
incase yaz wondering...homesafe&sound...Cali, you're the best!

Goodol et al, hi!

I think this is her German cousin.

Anyone know the stories behind each of them?

Thanks

Liz

Edit: Found this information here, for the German Amazon. But I have no information for the North American bather.

Quote:
Call it "The Bath of the 70-foot Woman." Or "Two Tons of Mermaid."

The real name of the massive woman in a Hamburg, Germany, lake is actually "Die Badende" ("The Bather"), and she's an ad for British beauty brand Soap & Glory.

"We launched Soap & Glory in Germany last year, and we've been looking for a way to say, 'Thank you!' to everyone for embracing our products, and making us a real success there. At Soap & Glory, we consider it our calling to bring more beauty to the world, and have fun doing it – 'Die Badende' does exactly that," the brand's founder, Marcia Kilgore, said in a news release.

"Die Badende" is the work of art creator Oliver Voss. It's almost 13 feet high, 67 feet long and weighs two tons.

The sculpture is made from a steel cage covered with Styrofoam almost a foot thick, which is then covered by a layer of special filler sealed with a polyester resin.

It will spend 10 days in Hamburg's Inner Alster Lake.

Apparently, "Die Badende" is as modest as "she" is massive. Soap & Glory promises a crane will be standing by with a supersize towel when "Die Badende" is ready to come out of the water.
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote