ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #32716
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
I'm still on the fence about the LOOK of the NX700

But I'm not going to be buying one anytime soon so I have time to figure it out. COULD replace the v-strom some day... maybe
I just wish that motorcycle manufacturers would accept the fact that tail lights, blinkers and license plate holders are necessary parts, and would make them look like they are part of the bike, and not an afterthought. Then, we might not be in such a hurry to hack them off
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #32717
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I just wish that motorcycle manufacturers would accept the fact that tail lights, blinkers and license plate holders are necessary parts, and would make them look like they are part of the bike, and not an afterthought. Then, we might not be in such a hurry to hack them off
True enough, but then what would the aftermarket farkle seller do?

People have been hacking off fenders and replacing headlights - at the very least - since about the time that there was mass-production (with varying degrees of skill and success)

You did however point out a glaring design flaw on the NX. Looks like the Sportbike tail met with dual-sport reality and it didn't go very well.

It still looks WAY better than a V-strom. which HAS to be the ugliest bike on the market! But the damn thing just WORKS (for me)

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #32718
Kaw4Life
Busted Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,419
Quote:
I'm still on the fence about the LOOK of the NX700

But I'm not going to be buying one anytime soon so I have time to figure it out. COULD replace the v-strom some day... maybe
I would do some reading before you get one (yes I know you will) but that is the LAST bike I would ever own. Way to much big brother for me.

... which part you focus on is up to you.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #32719
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
That looks cool!

Going to the show down in NY are ya?

Thinking about driving to CT then hopping a train into the city. Did it that way before. Good long day.
Going to make a weekend visit out of it with our oldest son, I think Nathan is going as well. DJ lives in NJ so we will take a train in Saturday and tour around
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #32720
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Going to make a weekend visit out of it with our oldest son, I think Nathan is going as well. DJ lives in NJ so we will take a train in Saturday and tour around
Sounds like a good time!
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #32721
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post
I would do some reading before you get one (yes I know you will) but that is the LAST bike I would ever own. Way to much big brother for me.
Not exactly sure what "big brother" had to do with the bike, but All the "first look" reviews show it as pretty vanilla flavored with a strong dose of mediocre. Of course, I'm reading between the lines here. About the only thing that it seems to score high on is gas mileage and a fair dose of functional. I find it hard to image that it will compete effectively with the F800's and the Tigers (or the DR650's and KLR's) - just to name a few. But it kinda reminds me of the Versys, and they have done ok in some circles.

At this point it's just something shiny. Having admitted that, I have to follow up with this. I LIKE my dirty, scuffed, high mileage, pig-pen bikes. Was Riding the 75k mile DR yesterday while my son and his GF rode the 85k V-strom, and it put a huge grin on my face. I can afford to own 4 dirty bikes for the price of one of these new shiny ones. I won't be buying anything that is "new" on the market today until it's plenty "old". I'm ok with that. I think I just like the IDEA of new and shiny.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #32722
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Not exactly sure what "big brother" had to do with the bike, but All the "first look" reviews show it as pretty vanilla flavored with a strong dose of mediocre. Of course, I'm reading between the lines here. About the only thing that it seems to score high on is gas mileage and a fair dose of functional. I find it hard to image that it will compete effectively with the F800's and the Tigers (or the DR650's and KLR's) - just to name a few. But it kinda reminds me of the Versys, and they have done ok in some circles.

At this point it's just something shiny. Having admitted that, I have to follow up with this. I LIKE my dirty, scuffed, high mileage, pig-pen bikes. Was Riding the 75k mile DR yesterday while my son and his GF rode the 85k V-strom, and it put a huge grin on my face. I can afford to own 4 dirty bikes for the price of one of these new shiny ones. I won't be buying anything that is "new" on the market today until it's plenty "old". I'm ok with that. I think I just like the IDEA of new and shiny.
all this talk of riding is making me jealous...to much ice around here to get out of the "hood"

and I agree...dirty old cheap high mile bikes are just fine with me too
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #32723
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,248
Quote:
I think I just like the IDEA of new and shiny.

Tis why I commented on it. I like the idea of shiney too.
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #32724
Kaw4Life
Busted Adventurer

Quote:

No clutch, no picking the front tire up or spinning the rear wheel.

Boooo !!!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #32725
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:

New Jersey? I hope they don't arrest you at the border. Aren't you public enemy #1 down there?
ADV Pie Map
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #32726
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post
No clutch, no picking the front tire up or spinning the rear wheel.

Boooo !!!
it has a clutch, and I bet YOU could loft the front and probably spin the rear, but remember, it's cheap and light mostly street ride. A bigger issue for me is the seat. probably would be fine for a trip into town. But take it out for a couple hours or a couple weeks? looks like it might come up wanting.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #32727
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,533
Quote:
...dirty old cheap high mile bikes are just fine with me too
fun too....
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #32728
jwrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
and I agree...dirty old cheap high mile babes are just fine with me too.....!
jwrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #32729
Kaw4Life
Busted Adventurer

Quote:
it has a clutch, and I bet YOU could loft the front and probably spin the rear, but remember, it's cheap and light mostly street ride. A bigger issue for me is the seat. probably would be fine for a trip into town. But take it out for a couple hours or a couple weeks? looks like it might come up wanting.
Technically it has a clutch yes, but the bike is the only thing that can control it. Take a close look at the left side of the bike and you will see no lever or shifter. The computer won't permits the other two things. Honda has clearly aimed this bike at those that are new to motorcycles which is not a bad thing.

Kaw4Life screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 03:56 AM
Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #32730
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
New Jersey? I hope they don't arrest you at the border. Aren't you public enemy #1 down there?
Oh yea I forgot about that