ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #33046
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted View Post
Fxd....
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 AM   #33047
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,454
Servicing the shock didn't seem to bad...I am starting to grow fond of the smell of burnt fork oil

Now it's on it's way to MWS for a fresh charge of nitrogen and then I just have to service all the swingarm bearings and hope I can remember how to put it back together

Nice to have a heated garage on a week like this
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #33048
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
Got a little riding in this weekend.

No other pics - too many miles in too little time. Sure felt good to get the Gerbings off and put the summer gloves on for the last couple hundred miles. 65 is way better than 25
Looks like you picked a great time to get out of the north! Seems that there is snow and generally crappy weather as far south as Atlanta this morning!

Safe Journeys good sir!

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #33049
gimpy9195
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Wink Need some help

Hey guys,

I need some help with a scavenger hunt. Anybody near portland with some free time that can help? Send me a PM and I will give you the details.

Thanks so much.. and this is not spam.
gimpy9195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #33050
stromsurfer
Stromsurfer

Oddometer: 655
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Servicing the shock didn't seem to bad...I am starting to grow fond of the smell of burnt fork oil

Now it's on it's way to MWS for a fresh charge of nitrogen and then I just have to service all the swingarm bearings and hope I can remember how to put it back together

I agree. Working on a bike (no desire to work on autos) inside a heated space on a cold or crappy day is very satisfying. For me it's about problem solving and learning how it comes apart and goes together. Little music, heat, and maybe a cafe liquor, and before I know it it's dark out. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #33051
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Yeah...beginning to think moving the 'get my heated work area sorted out' thing up the list is going to have to get a higher priority. Mine 'system' is unvented. Creates a moisture problem.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 AM   #33052
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Yeah...beginning to think moving the 'get my heated work area sorted out' thing up the list is going to have to get a higher priority. Mine 'system' is unvented. Creates a moisture problem.
Morning

It's funny how the cold mornings can motivate us to get the heat fixed..That cottage base miller furnace was the best $ I ever spent for cheap easy garage heat.

Matter of fact I just fired mine up so I can head out and do some work on the KLR
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 AM   #33053
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,474
Tell me about this furnace. I'm looking for ideas for my workshop in the barn when I get it done.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #33054
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBill View Post
Tell me about this furnace. I'm looking for ideas for my workshop in the barn when I get it done.

I don't know the specifics of Dave's heating system, but his description reminds me of the Mobile Home heating systems that My Father used to be able to get. "Miller Gun Furnace" comes to mind

http://www.millerac.com/Products/Fur...lFurnaces.aspx

Probably still available from Mobile home dealer/service places.

another fairly inexpensive option is a used "Monitor" or "Rinnai" vented heaters.

Should be very easy to install. just need a hole saw to cut a hole in your wall for the vent. An electrical outlet to power it and some tubing to run fuel....

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #33055
Kaw4Life
Busted Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
I don't know the specifics of Dave's heating system, but his description reminds me of the Mobile Home heating systems that My Father used to be able to get. "Miller Gun Furnace" comes to mind

http://www.millerac.com/Products/Fur...lFurnaces.aspx

Probably still available from Mobile home dealer/service places.

another fairly inexpensive option is a used "Monitor" or "Rinnai" vented heaters.

Should be very easy to install. just need a hole saw to cut a hole in your wall for the vent. An electrical outlet to power it and some tubing to run fuel....
That looks very simular to what Dave has. He obviously can give you the details, I only vaguely remember the details.

... which part you focus on is up to you.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #33056
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:

Tinman nailed it...I have a Miller furnace on what is known as a cottage base, the heat blows out the bottom of the furnace so the base is just a 12" tall plenum if you will with vents on 3 sides. I originally bought mine when I was building houses because they work as a great portable furnace. I actually feed mine off of a 5 gallon K1 jug. venting is simple as well....

I like a hot air furnace for ease of use, you can very quickly make a 0* garage comfortable enough to work in. I can keep the garage warm all weekend for less than 5 gallons..
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #33057
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,474
Going to have to check those out. I wanted to use a woodstove but my insurance agent said that the company would most likely drop me if I did that . You know, the whole sawdust/woodscrap risk thing.... She said that wood-burners in woodshops were a very bad idea, at least as far as insurance companies were concerned .
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 AM   #33058
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Going to have to check those out. I wanted to use a woodstove but my insurance agent said that the company would most likely drop me if I did that . You know, the whole sawdust/woodscrap risk thing.... She said that wood-burners in woodshops were a very bad idea, at least as far as insurance companies were concerned .
My fathers wood shop always had a 55 gallon drum style wood stove...had to do something with all those pine scraps
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #33059
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,437
Quote:
Another 'problem' with them is if you are required to have it inspected by the FD the amount of space it will 'legally' eat up is fairly large.

"Fire department inspection?!?! pffft..."

Should something happen with the clandestine heatilator yer at the mercy of your insurance company as to whether or not they'll cover you. Read this on the interweb so it must be true.

Having said all of that, there's nothing like wood heat.

You're probably also aware of the whole sawdust/any source of ignition thing as well.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #33060
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Another 'problem' with them is if you are required to have it inspected by the FD the amount of space it will 'legally' eat up is fairly large.

"Fire department inspection?!?! pffft..."

Not required in NH if you do it yourself (Live free and or die..) Same goes for electrical and plumbing. Paying someone to do it is a whole different game..
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote