ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #33166
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Actually Short Sands will only work on a heavy swell with Southerly's.
Very rarely breaks. Very freaky wave, sometimes coming in sideways to the beach.
Only place I would call in sick to surf around here.

Big Kennebunk is also fun.

Shorty's v

jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #33167
stromsurfer
Stromsurfer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf View Post
Actually Short Sands will only work on a heavy swell with Southerly's.
Very rarely breaks. Very freaky wave, sometimes coming in sideways to the beach.
Only place I would call in sick to surf around here.

Big Kennebunk is also fun.

Shorty's v

Yes your right it is a south wind break and hardly anywhere breaks in a Souttherly but.........It's all drop and then it's over. Never my favorite break.
Hope you got some good rides.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #33168
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

That's true - a drop [ and a barrel if you do it right - or a pounding if you miss it ] and it's over.

Amazing the speed you get on it - you can actually ride over the back of that wave and then come back onto the face.

It was typical on Thursday , smaller -medium size A frame peaks and not much face.
The swell was too much from the south. But a few bounced off the rocks nicely and were a lot of fun till the wind got a little too intense.
I would ride it any day over the Ogunquit Rivermouth with all the local "pro's" and now sups and yakers

Wish Rye on the Rocks was closer
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #33169
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Got a few hundred miles in before the big game . . .

Took a ride over by Mt. Graham, one of the highest peaks in AZ at about 10,720 ft.

I started near Safford at about 3,000' and headed up Highway 366, aka "Swift Trail."

Was soon winding my way up to higher elevation . . .

Didn't take too long to get here . . .

About a mile up the road at around 7,100' it started to look like this . . .

I decided that was far enough and headed for lower ground to explore some ghost towns . . .
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 AM   #33170
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
Got a few hundred miles in before the big game . . .

Took a ride over by Mt. Graham, one of the highest peaks in AZ at about 10,720 ft.

Didn't take too long to get here . . .

I decided that was far enough and headed for lower ground to explore some ghost towns . . .
Looks like you are getting some riding in on the new GS, so what do you think of her?

Oh and no more ice and snow pics we have enough of our own here..
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #33171
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I started near Safford
Nice! Love the old ghost towns and such.

Lived northeast of there in my yout'. Matter of fact we shopped in Safford. Long haul. Remember a back route over to Mule Creek, NM that was pretty cool then. It's on my list of places to check out if I ever get out that way again. Maybe you can do a recon for me...or just wait until I can do it with you.

edit: there was also a dirt route we took to Safford once. That was pretty cool, too.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #33172
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Looks like you are getting some riding in on the new GS, so what do you think of her?
Finally got it out on some fairly rough dirt roads and I was surprised how nimble it is for a big pig. It seems strange sitting back down into that big comfortable seat after standing on the pegs for a while. Never thought I'd own one, and probably wouldn't if I wasn't going two-up. The DR650 would definitely still be my first choice out here for solo trips. Mainly because I don't have to worry about getting the thing stuck somewhere if I'm exploring unfamiliar back country, and I can pretty much get just as far in a day on it. I've had the DR in deep sand a couple times where I almost couldn't get out - and I was miles from nowhere - the GS would still be there. I've passed up a few interesting looking roads already on the GS, but the big pig really does handle well - it's a great bike. I really just prefer small bikes - just a personal preference at this point in time I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
. . . Lived northeast of there in my yout'. . .
I had no idea . . .

but . . . there isn't anything northeast of there.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #33173
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,135
Quote:
That's true - a drop [ and a barrel if you do it right - or a pounding if you miss it ] and it's over.

Amazing the speed you get on it - you can actually ride over the back of that wave and then come back onto the face.

It was typical on Thursday , smaller -medium size A frame peaks and not much face.
The swell was too much from the south. But a few bounced off the rocks nicely and were a lot of fun till the wind got a little too intense.
I would ride it any day over the Ogunquit Rivermouth with all the local "pro's" and now sups and yakers

Hell, I'm still learning. Like everything, I need to get out more. I only hit a couple of spots off the NH coast, mostly because I'm lazy and if there's surf its normally pretty good there. There's been a few times when I out there at first light and have the beach to myself for an hour or so. Got my boss surfing, so he understands why I'm very late some days. Mostly because he's out there as well.

So we're moving to Rye. Need the beach pass sticker for the car. Getting my priorities straight.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #33174
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Good for you.

The surf is much better in N.H.
So many good places in such a small stretch.
Serious waves.
Just out of my range in the short days of winter when it's good.

I've been surfing long enough to now appreciate getting out whenever the timing allows me to sneak into the water.
I even got a long board and will hit it even if the waves suck but I have free time.
Kinda like when I was just starting - without the desperation of being on every swell or taking it (or myself) too seriously.

Enjoy the ride - ok, I'll say it - DUDE

jcf screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 12:29 PM
Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #33175
stromsurfer
Stromsurfer

Quote:
That's true - a drop [ and a barrel if you do it right - or a pounding if you miss it ] and it's over

One more post on surfing and Ill go back to motorbikes...
I grew up in that area of the state. I started life guarding at Ontio Beach "The Rivermouth" in 1975 with the Ogunquit Lifeguard Service and did it for about ten years. Combined it with valet parking at nights, I could make enough in a season to travel surf and ride mbikes in the winter off season.......CR, Nicaragua, Mexico, Tortola, Nova Scotia, Cali, Puerto Rico, had some amazing on the edge adventures back then in the still underdeveloped countries.......anyway back then The Rivermouth was awesome. I spent almost everyday in the water (tourists caught in the river current get sucked out into the break, panic, and end up needing assistance) and surfing, windsurfing, swimming and giving directions to the Candians on the best pubs/dancing. Then I of course would show up at those same pubs riding my 1975 kawasaki 500 2smoke (two trips to Fla on that bike) for a night of fun (beautiful women). I knew Shore Road like the back of my hand and ran the twisties at 2am many an evening. The break was owned by us locals (surfer crow, peter clayton, stiveleto, dick lovell, denny from cali, denis, barry brosnan, davy evens, clancy, bad brad...) and there were no yaks, sups or pros in the water. We did have the summer influx of posers, mass rats, and the crew from The Wall would come up for the storm swell, but even then it was fairly cool and a good vibe out in the water. The town was still know as an artist community, along with a large gay population, and surfer town, and my wife actually went to the one room school house that used to be near the fire station ( jeez I sound old). we all got along and spent many hours surfing and partying together. Of course that's back when surf etiquette and respect meant something, and you did not earn the latter by only showing up during the summer, or by standing next to the lighthouse and debating on going someplace better-(read smaller) while wave after wave rolls in. I left that area in '88 and up until about a year ago I still considered myself as one of the crew from the the rivermouth. And I will add that when its on and wrapping off Lobster Point and breaking across the river to the main beach side.....it's the best break in Maine or New Hampshire...IMHO.

Anyway, I was having flashbacks seeing the breaks like short sands,long sands, rivermouth named on here, and other than Kobukan killing us with his ride pics, not much seems to be going on here so I thought I would give you a glimps of what it was like "back in the day" and i'll close with a statement every surfer hates to hear.....you should have been there an hour/day/week/20 years ago.

...and now back to motorbikes.
I found this video of the exact Kawasaki I owned back during that era. The thing was really fast off the line, but steered like shit. Great fun was to blast off through town leaving am thick trail of blue smoke

http://tiptik.de/watch/uhDF03zNaxM.h...qcwPWOg.mailto

Enjoy the surf. It's one of the best ways I have ever found to live in the moment.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #33176
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

I must have just missed you - or maybe we know each other.
I started coming to Ogunquit in '67 - bought my first board at Crows' shop in Moody ( still have it - a chopped Hanson longboard )
You must remember the Sandpiper and Poor Richards Pub ( the one on Rt 1with all those hot Canadian women and funky bands) and The Dunelawn.

Settled here in '89 ( after a bunch of years in NYC and Europe - Ah - Mundaka and Biarritz ) and I know all those guys you mentioned (Crow is and always was an assh--le, among a couple others )
Left the scene in around '97 when I got sick of it.

Started giving free surf lessons to kids for the town rec dept. a few years ago and that got the stoke back.
Still, won't surf the Rivermouth no matter how good it is ( unless no one else is out )
Not worth the hassle and now I don't recognize anyone out there - except Crow and those couple others )

Maybe you'll recognize this spot ( behind the bike content )

Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #33177
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,373
Did someone say 570?

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #33178
stromsurfer
Stromsurfer

Beach

Quote:
I must have just missed you - or maybe we know each other.
I started coming to Ogunquit in '67 - bought my first board at Crows' shop in Moody ( still have it - a chopped Hanson longboard )
You must remember the Sandpiper and Poor Richards Pub ( the one on Rt 1with all those hot Canadian women and funky bands) and The Dunelawn.

Settled here in '89 ( after a bunch of years in NYC and Europe - Ah - Mundaka and Biarritz ) and I know all those guys you mentioned (Crow is and always was an assh--le, among a couple others )
Left the scene in around '97 when I got sick of it.

Started giving free surf lessons to kids for the town rec dept. a few years ago and that got the stoke back.
Still, won't surf the Rivermouth no matter how good it is ( unless no one else is out )
Not worth the hassle and now I don't recognize anyone out there - except Crow and those couple others )

Maybe you'll recognize this spot ( behind the bike content )

Looks like the main beach. Very nice bike. A classic. Is/was that yours?
Oh so you have some history there too. We probably do know each other.
If I am still mobile come summer we will have to meet up and argue about which is a better break SS or the mouth. :-) :-)
Sandpiper-----sailed as crew on one of Phil's boats down to the VI one year. Fun place and great guy.
Poor Richards------many an evening drinking the "mistake drinks" Denny made as the bartender, and dancing with the Canadians. Great place and a really fun time. Town put them out of business by enacting a noise ordinance. Would leave there and go to Ogunquit after Dark. They could not sell drinks but you could bring in your own bottle and they were allowed to serve you drinks from that. Placed stayed open until 4am.
Dunelawn----got stopped by the man one night leaving there with three people on my bike.....two girls and myself. The three of us were laughing it up and the local police....who knew me well......just walked up to us, asked if we were ok to drive, i said yes, and then promptly tipped over. He gave us a ride home in the cruiser and as a penalty.....reported to my Dad that I was drinking and driving and misbehaving. Dad came down early one morning and scared everyone of the "guests" out of the house, read me the riot act, and took the keys to my bike for a week.

The good old days.

stromsurfer screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 10:32 AM
stromsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #33179
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromsurfer View Post
Looks like the main beach. Very nice bike. A classic. Is/was that yours?
Oh so you have some history there too. We probably do know each other.
If I am still mobile come summer we will have to meet up and argue about which is a better break SS or the mouth. :-) :-)
Sandpiper-----sailed as crew on one of Phil's boats down to the VI one year. Fun place and great guy.
Poor Richards------many an evening drinking the "mistake drinks" Denny made as the bartender, and dancing with the Canadians. Great place and a really fun time. Town put them out of business by enacting a noise ordinance. Would leave there and go to Ogunquit after Dark. They could not sell drinks but you could bring in your own bottle and they were allowed to serve you drinks from that. Placed stayed open until 4am.
Dunelawn----got stopped by the man one night leaving there with three people on my bike.....two girls and myself. The three of us were laughing it up and the local police....who knew me well......just walked up to us, asked if we were ok to drive, i said yes, and then promptly tipped over. He gave us a ride home in the cruiser and as a penalty.....reported to my Dad that I was drinking and driving and misbehaving. Dad came down early one morning and scared everyone of the "guests" out of the house, read me the riot act, and took the keys to my bike for a week.

The good old days.
HA ! - YES, YES, and YES to the rest.

I think we all have some of those stories from back then - this town was really a blast in those days.
Come when there's a swell and we'll drag John Clancy along and take turns stuffing Crow ( uh - maybe I should put that a different way - ha ).

Oh yeah, that's my bike, and to keep the content on two wheels....
You will know this spot too I'm sure.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #33180
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,429
I don't recall requesting a name change for this thread...
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote