ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #33211
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post

Both of ya!

I can live with that.

Actually, and I know that you know this so this is mostly for those who don't know us, I always ride with a helmet. I don't by the Manufacturers suggestions that you replace your lid every 5 years (an arbitrary number if ever I have heard one), but I DO agree that replacing your helmet occasionally IS a good idea. Inside pads do compress and degrade, but you can often just replace the pads and not replace the entire helmet. Face shields get yellowed or scratched (at least mine do), but again replace the shield. I do not buy the talk of UV degradation limiting the crash protection of modern helmets... If that was true all the talk of "Styrofoam" cups/plates/food containers and the like filling our landfills would hold no water.

I DO believe that careful inspections of your lid and replacement if damage is found is a good idea. I have never bought a new helmet, after a small fall off the seat of my bike for instance, but I do always use that as a good time to look hard it it. I have had a couple of bicycle helmets split and need replacement from such small drops, but never a MC helmet.

ABSOLUTELY replace your helmet after a crash. At that point it has done it's job and is used up.

I typically can't afford the "really nice" (read probably expensive) helmets. Most of mine cost in the $100-$150 range, but in my mind approved safety ratings are approved safety ratings. What I tend to give up with cheaper helmets are features and some "quality" of materials - less robust hinges or thinner inside pads for an examples. For now, I can deal with that.

as always, YMMV

Cheers all!

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #33212
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,402
strictly applied... the fall down rule on helmet would have some of us buying new helmets every and sometimes several times a year....

last fall I had the opportunity to make several Thousand $ on a evening machine design project which is funding my BMW rebuild.....which I have not said much about to the wife as far as cost goes...

she started mentioning new flooring in the house with us sharing cost from our "extra" money....
so this morning I mentioned how we have spent virtually no money on the BMW for 30+ years and she agreed that it was a true statement...So I mentioned that my "extra" money was going for an extensive rebuild and upgrade to the BMW so we could ride it this summer.....and she was ok with that...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #33213
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post

last fall I had the opportunity to make several Thousand $ on a evening machine design project which is funding my BMW rebuild.....which I have not said much about to the wife as far as cost goes...

she started mentioning new flooring in the house with us sharing cost from our "extra" money....
so this morning I mentioned how we have spent virtually no money on the BMW for 30+ years and she agreed that it was a true statement...So I mentioned that my "extra" money was going for an extensive rebuild and upgrade to the BMW so we could ride it this summer.....and she was ok with that...

Cool!

Was just having a similar conversation with my wife. KatieM is getting a major makeover. I am too pretty excited about it.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #33214
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,000
Helmets.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #33215
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Cool!

Was just having a similar conversation with my wife. KatieM is getting a major makeover. I am too pretty excited about it.
What is KatieM getting?

so far old Red S is getting heads reworked, rebored, new rod bearings, fixed speedo/tach , count up money and then decide on new shocks and seat.
KLR 685 kit, fork brace and new clutch springs were not in morning conversation but on the way..
Suzi gets oil change....
LifeSong
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #33216
Tslapper
#!

Quote:
What is KatieM getting?

so far old Red S is getting heads reworked, rebored, new rod bearings, fixed speedo/tach , count up money and then decide on new shocks and seat.
KLR 685 kit, fork brace and new clutch springs were not in morning conversation but on the way..
Suzi gets oil change....
The list is long but basically,

Addressing fuel range with 2-1 exhaust and pannier fuel cell. New woodys wheels, electrical parts to fix some gremlins, new bash plate, couple sets of tires, consumables (everything), new shock spring. Might even mount a new Montana GPS on it if my pennies add up after the other stuff.

It needs to be torn apart again and hands on everything. Motor should be good with a valve adjustment.

FJR gets new oil.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #33217
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Quote:
The list is long but basically,

Addressing fuel range with 2-1 exhaust and pannier fuel cell. Fuel Range is very nice... Might even mount a new Montana GPS on it if my pennies add up after the other stuff. That would be a very nice gadget....

It needs to be torn apart again and hands on everything. Motor should be good with a valve adjustment.

FJR gets new oil.
I have a nice little free program now that auto routes in GE and saves all images viewed to a cache directory on harddrive ( you can give a path for saving the images) When I run it on the netbook I can plug in my gps and it displays the position on GE....also imports/exports gpx files.
here is the download page...it is in russian but about 1/2 way down you see the Rev. numbers and clik on blue highlighted word on right and you get an english version....
http://sasgis.ru/download/
LifeSong

BKMLWR screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 07:58 AM
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #33218
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,405
T and Dave I am glad to see I am not the only one spending my winter months and $ fixing and upgrading my bikes..

Quite a list you got going T, Woody's Wheels I have heard a bit about them, be nice to see a set and here your feed back.

Also interested in Dave's 685 kit even though I think I am waiting till next season for that, a few people talked me into the logic of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

And I agree with the big guy on Lid's...I buy what I like and can afford, crash wise I think any properly fitting helmet is better than no helmet. I feel the higher quality helmets get you better comfort, style, noise reduction...but not necessarily added safety...YMMV

Stock up on Beer and other beverages it could be a long weekend...
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #33219
goodolguzzi
Guzzen around the hood

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Woody's Wheels I have heard a bit about them, be nice to see a set and here your feed back.

Rumor on the street is woody has a nice Lavendar option available
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #33220
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolguzzi View Post

That's right I forgot those were Woody's....they are purdy :ymca

However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #33221
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Quote:
T and Dave I am glad to see I am not the only one spending my winter months and $ fixing and upgrading my bikes..

it is very important to have the one which only needs oil change.....
LifeSong
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #33222
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
it is very important to have the one which only needs oil change.....
That is the DR for me...
Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #33223
Tslapper
#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolguzzi View Post
erm... I have to ask cuz I'm not a lavender kinda guy. Were those ordered as black?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #33224
Tslapper
#!

Quote:
That is the DR for me...
Speaking of DR's... I've got a 3500 mile 1999 DR 350 e-start that is going on the block.

Stock except the very nice suspension bits and an RM front fender. Got a stock fender if you want it. Suspension set up for a 200lb person.

New dual sport tires, nice rack too! Runs great, starts right up.

Maine Riders know first, the rest of the adv heathens will get an ad in the flea market.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #33225
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,410
Quote:
Speaking of DR's... I've got a 3500 mile 1999 DR 350 e-start that is going on the block.

Stock except the very nice suspension bits and an RM front fender. Got a stock fender if you want it. Suspension set up for a 200lb person.

New dual sport tires, nice rack too! Runs great, starts right up.

Maine Riders know first, the rest of the adv heathens will get an ad in the flea market.
Dang, I would be all over that if I hadn't bought the XR250R last fall. Wanna trade?
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote