ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #33391
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Glad to see you took the warning seriously.

Just trying to get caught up on the RR . . . got a little behind.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #33392
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,494

cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #33393
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post

Hmmmm is right

Removes salt deposits from all marine surfaces
Use as a motor flush in both Inboard and Outboard motors
Rinses away salt buildup on hulls, decks, rails, towers, fishing rods, reels, anything exposed to salt water
Also works on trailers, wheels, and driving equipment
Leaves a protective PTEF coating to prevent future salt corrosion and damage

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...tm?Click=35177

... and if you are looking around, there is a "power-washer adapter", but if the reviews I saw are correct, it's $20 down the drain - so to speak....

Seems that. as usual, if you have an idea what you might want to look for, there are many other versions on this theme! thanks for the tip CJ

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650

TinMan207 screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 07:05 AM
TinMan207 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #33394
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:

Kaw 4 who?
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #33395
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

I saw that stuff advertised in this months "Adventure Bike" section of Dirt Bike magazine. Sounds like a good idea, who knows if it's any better than any other cleaner/protectant?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #33396
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,487
I was wondering if spraying the bike down with this prior to riding may help?

and then there is also the fact that I drive my truck which just cost me more than 10 times what my KLR did every day in this crap...a few trips a winter followed by a good washing aint gonna kill it
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #33397
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
I was wondering if spraying the bike down with this prior to riding may help?

I had my new truck undercoated with that stuff. It's very thick and sticky, there's now a nice thick coating of road salt and sand on the undercarriage. I wouldn't want to do that on a bike.

Quote:

and then there is also the fact that I drive my truck which just cost me more than 10 times what my KLR did every day in this crap...a few trips a winter followed by a good washing aint gonna kill it
I think you're onto something there
Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #33398
kobukan
almost gnarly

Re: Salt

I won't take any bike I really care about or invested a lot of money into out in the winter if there's any wetness on the roads at all - don't care what the bike's been sprayed with. I once rode my K75 down to Newburyport for a winter tag - it was a nice day and roads were clear and dry all the way . . . until about a mile from the tag location - I saw a wet spot in the road from some snow melting and I turned around and rode home - the heck with the tag, I had a good ride. But, that's why I bought the DR350 - for $1200 I don't care what that thing gets exposed to. I've put almost 15k miles on in it the past few years and I ride it through anything and everything. I got my moneys worth out of it the first year I owned it and every mile after that has been a bonus imo. If it's been in the salt I wash it thoroughly when I get a chance - basically when the temp gets to 40F or so. FWIW the bike still looks great - you'd really never know by looking at it that it's ever been ridden in the winter, but I think washing it thoroughly and regularly has a lot to do with that.

YMMV of course.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #33399
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I won't take any bike I really care about or invested a lot of money into out in the winter if there's any wetness on the roads at all - don't care what the bike's been sprayed with. I once rode my K75 down to Newburyport for a winter tag - it was a nice day and roads were clear and dry all the way . . . until about a mile from the tag location - I saw a wet spot in the road from some snow melting and I turned around and rode home - the heck with the tag, I had a good ride. But, that's why I bought the DR350 - for $1200 I don't care what that thing gets exposed to. I've put almost 15k miles on in it the past few years and I ride it through anything and everything. I got my moneys worth out of it the first year I owned it and every mile after that has been a bonus imo. If it's been in the salt I wash it thoroughly when I get a chance - basically when the temp gets to 40F or so. FWIW the bike still looks great - you'd really never know by looking at it that it's ever been ridden in the winter, but I think washing it thoroughly and regularly has a lot to do with that.

YMMV of course.
I have seen noticeably more corrosion on the spokes and the steel frame of my KLR after just one salty ride, even with washing it right away. Even riding on dry roads that have some salt residue will coat the bike with a nice layer of salt. Your DR must be made of better materials than a KLR
Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #33400
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:

YMMV of course.

This is why I use my DR and KLR in the winter months...pays to keep cheap bikes around.

I agree with he fact I would not take a more expensive bike out in this crap..

but for the most part my bikes are to ride not look at....

I was wondering if the fluid film would form a protective barrier that could be washed away...
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
Old 02-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #33401
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
I was wondering if the fluid film would form a protective barrier that could be washed away...
Yes, it's a gooey mess, but it does work well for this purpose.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #33402
kobukan
almost gnarly

Quote:
I have seen noticeably more corrosion on the spokes and the steel frame of my KLR after just one salty ride, even with washing it right away. Even riding on dry roads that have some salt residue will coat the bike with a nice layer of salt. Your DR must be made of better materials than a KLR
Maybe everything they say about KLR's really is true.

A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #33403
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Quote:
I don't disagree
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #33404
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:

Yup all true
Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #33405
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

42* here I should be riding instead of working/sitting here talking about it