ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #34201
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,055
Soooo.... just got done watching James Bond steal a bike and ride the living piss out of it. "It" was a KLR!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #34202
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post
Might I suggest MWS's philosophy ...

Go that way, really fast, if something gets in your way, turn.

Or mount it!
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #34203
mikewillsmith
Not the f'g fresh prince!

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalcombust View Post
Or mount it!
Hey now, that isn't right.... oh wait, I guess it is.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 AM   #34204
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Soooo.... just got done watching James Bond steal a bike and ride the living piss out of it. "It" was a KLR!

And this surprises you how ?!?

Kaw4Life screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 02:18 AM
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #34205
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,092
Quote:

Marketing.

More of us will own KLRs than Aston Martins.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #34206
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #34207
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Chiming in here on the tablet/netbook/navigation discussion. When we did our big 10 day Canada trip last summer, my computer savvy friend got a couple of us set up on Samsung Tab2 tablets that were loaded with Orux mapping software, and we used Bing satellite images (I agree with whomever said these are way better than Google).

While we also had a Montana and a 60CsX on other bikes, we used the tablets 99% of the time. They are amazing for navigating, very accurate. We just slid them right into the map slot on the top of our small Wolfman tank bags, so you could use them at all times.

We created the entire route for our trip using Bing sat images, just poring over old logging roads and drawing lines. Then we uploaded these routes into Orux (and also into out Garmin units) and spent the next 10 days following the orange line. The best part about the tablet vs just using a Garmin unit was that if we came to areas where we would hit a gate or run into impassible trail, we could just zoom out on the pre-loaded satellite images and search for alternative routes. I honestly can't recommend this highly enough.

We would literally never have found the following places if we had not had immediate access to sat images so that we could search for campsites and trails in real time. None of the trails to these spots would have shown up on any map.

Pundy screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 12:05 PM
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #34208
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Huh, I'll look for that mouse.

I just grabbed the Ibycus topo maps for Canada the other day. They look really good. Don't know about actual use yet but I'll get to try that in June.
I've used the Ibycus Maps with Garmin's MapSource (or whatever they call their mapping software) and it has been very good. IIRC Run the install and Bang, it's available to Mapsource for downloading into your GPS.

As for the Netbook Pointing device, I prefer the wireless option. Tiny little USB dongle, and no cables at all. I chose a trackball for mine. A little bigger footprint in the bag, but no need to find a flat space to actually use it. Some don't like the trackball option. I do. YMMV

Cheers!

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #34209
Chris W
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
Chiming in here on the tablet/netbook/navigation discussion. When we did our big 10 day Canada trip last summer, my computer savvy friend got a couple of us set up on Samsung Tab2 tablets that were loaded with Orux mapping software, and we used Bing satellite images (I agree with whomever said these are way better than Google).

While we also had a Montana and a 60CsX on other bikes, we used the tablets 99% of the time. They are amazing for navigating, very accurate. We just slid them right into the map slot on the top of our small Wolfman tank bags, so you could use them at all times.

We created the entire route for our trip using Bing sat images, just poring over old logging roads and drawing lines. Then we uploaded these routes into Orux (and also into out Garmin units) and spent the next 10 days following the orange line. The best part about the tablet vs just using a Garmin unit was that if we came to areas where we would hit a gate or run into impassible trail, we could just zoom out on the pre-loaded satellite images and search for alternative routes. I honestly can't recommend this highly enough.

We would literally never have found the following places if we had not had immediate access to sat images so that we could search for campsites and trials in real time. None of the trials to these spots would have shown up on any map.
Interesting. Is Bing Microsoft? If so, I wonder if Streets and Trips integrates somehow. I haven't opened up any mapping software in 2 years, but now I'm intrigued.
IBA #393

"I know I'm getting tired when I start ducking for over passes..." ~ Ardys Kellerman
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #34210
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
Interesting. Is Bing Microsoft? If so, I wonder if Streets and Trips integrates somehow. I haven't opened up any mapping software in 2 years, but now I'm intrigued.
Yes to the first part.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #34211
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Yup, Bing is an MS product. Take a look at the imagery of your home area on Bing, then look at the same stuff on Google and I think you'll be amazed at the difference in res.

I can't say enough about Orux as a map platform. It takes a little bit of tech savvy but not much. The best part is that you can preload all the maps into the tablet so you don't need a cell connection while you're traveling.
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #34212
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,378
Quote:
Yup, Bing is an MS product. Take a look at the imagery of your home area on Bing, then look at the same stuff on Google and I think you'll be amazed at the difference in res.

I can't say enough about Orux as a map platform. It takes a little bit of tech savvy but not much. The best part is that you can preload all the maps into the tablet so you don't need a cell connection while you're traveling.
I just looked Google Earth was more up to date and clear than Bing....YMMV

But it is always good to have more than one tool in the box...

Interesting on the streets and trips angle Chris...that is what I use on your suggestion a few years back.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #34213
Tslapper
#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
Ibycus seems to be very close with Topo Canada. I put a little more trust in the double line roads than the single white lines. Nice part is if in Mapsource or Basecamp just go to view in google earth to see if the road is really there..

mouse is made by Targus

did you go to gpsfiledepot.com to grab the free topo of maine, nh and newengland? The Maine topo with the best rating is the best.
Yes I have used them in the past. I just got the Maine topo onto this pc.

I'll be interested in seeing how it matches up to the topo that came on this garmin. I bought the road maps in addition. Covers canada, us and mexico. I'll want those for some tar roads trips.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #34214
Tslapper
#!

Quote:

We would literally never have found the following places if we had not had immediate access to sat images so that we could search for campsites and trials in real time. None of the trials to these spots would have shown up on any map.

Sounds like a great solution for a ride like that.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #34215
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
...Topo Canada is routable and planned to use the feature last yr on interior of Gaspe ride but didn't...
The Canada Topo is routeable but some of the roads may not exist any longer, or may not be maintained, I found many that have been replaced with newer gravel roads. Having aerial images along would definitely help. Here's some pics from our Gaspe ride last year where the Canada Topo kept routing us, but we kept missing the turn. You can see how the GE image shows the newer roads and how we went by the turn. Finally, we found the "door" marked with an old sign and got lucky with an awesome trail:

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote