ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #35311
GClark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
The Jaunt is a good looking jacket for sure, I am a big fan of Firstgear's products. If you plan to ride in cooler temps is a mesh jacket a good choice?
Maybe it was the Airglide 4 then, it had 2 inner layers that seemed pretty warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I have a semi-retired well-worn Jaunt in my closet that served me well for many miles. Completely waterproof in some serious downpours too. Personally, I wouldn't own anything that doesn't have a waterproof outer layer, other than a mesh jacket for hot weather. It sucks pulling over in the rain to put the rain liner in, and even if you already have it in the outer shell gets soaked, then weighs a ton and sucks all the heat out. Eventually you'll find that jackets are like bikes . . . it's hard to get by with just one. A jacket that works well below 60F probably isn't going to be very good when it's 90F.

How did you make out regarding a helmet? The AFX FX-39 is very popular with a lot of folks - many miles on mine, both on and off road in a wide range of temps and terrain - I like it.

Good to hear the Jaunts are good jackets, I might go pick it up tomorrow. It seems that way, most of the people in the jacket threads I've been reading have a closet full of jackets. I feel like the Jaunt would be a 4 season one, but I might pick up a lighter jacket for summer. Only thing that concerns me is the lack of any protection with the light jackets.

I bought the Bilt Adventure Explorer:

Build quality looks pretty good, and I love the inner shaded shield. Not bad for $100.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #35312
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
Don't sweat it, it's all pretty simple.

Congrats on the new ride.

Post up some pics.
Yep, I need to get some pictures. Sadly I have been straight out busy, and it's been raining.

I did get to ride it today, just 20 miles, but it was good. I learned a few things.
First, it has been lowered. I didn't realize that until I was sitting at a stop light completely flat footed. I chatted with the original owner, and he confessed that he had lowered it.

Second, it appears to run a little hot. I have to do an oil change, and hope I don't find a wavy oil filter. I was told that the water pump was done by the original owner, but when I chatted with the original owner, he made no mention. I know that's a known flaw with these.

Third, the idle is high, and I can't find the damn idle adjustment for the life of me. It isn't where the manual says it should be. The bike has Safari tanks, so it may have been moved because of that.

Third, I love the bike! However, the performance Harley sound did start to wear on me after a bit. We'll see how I feel about it long term.

Overall, it was only 20 miles, and most of it was at GDamn stop lights waiting. I know I will love this bike in the woods, but I need to get over the feeling that it is fragile. I have read hundreds of posts over the past week or two, and they all seem to be either raving about how great the bike is, or about what broke.

It's mine now, and I'll get all the little things sorted pretty quickly.

Pictures should be tomorrow.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #35313
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GClark View Post
Whats your recommendations for a dual sport jacket? I tried on the FirstGear Jaunt 2 and the Olympus Airglide 3 today, but Im still indecisive. I liked the length of the Jaunt 2, but the Airglide was much more comfortable.
I have two First Gear Jackets. TPG Ranier (I bought from PWRCRZR), and Kiliminjaro. They are both great, but I love the Ranier, it's a great 3+ season jacket. In the dead of summer, mesh is the only way to go.

My with bought me a Joe Rocket mesh jacket, and it has been great. I wore it when I rode to Texas, Up to Colorado, and across back to New Hampshire. I saw many 115+ days, and I would have died if I didn't have a mesh jacket.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #35314
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Right. They don't always look like this.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I don't know T you better cover that up...we got a couple of wiring snobs around here that might give you hell for that spaghetti bowl ya got there.
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #35315
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,394
Quote:
Maybe it was the Airglide 4 then, it had 2 inner layers that seemed pretty warm.

Good to hear the Jaunts are good jackets, I might go pick it up tomorrow. It seems that way, most of the people in the jacket threads I've been reading have a closet full of jackets. I feel like the Jaunt would be a 4 season one, but I might pick up a lighter jacket for summer. Only thing that concerns me is the lack of any protection with the light jackets.

I bought the Bilt Adventure Explorer:

Build quality looks pretty good, and I love the inner shaded shield. Not bad for $100.
Nice looking new lid, I like the drop down visor.

You will probably find the more you ride and the longer your season is the more gear you tend to accumulate. It takes a few seasons but it is nice to have the right protective gear for the conditions you are expecting to ride in.

I have to agree with Kobukan on a waterproof shell for my main touring jacket..liners suck for me.

I also agree with Andycap..I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket for summer travels, it has a water proof (not really) over shell but typically if it is warm enough to wear a mesh jacket I don't mind getting damp.
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #35316
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTheBeast View Post
Is anyone familiar with the Sunrise Trail? I have registered my bike for ATV use. Is that trail any good? Any others that are equal or better?
As BKMLWR said the Sunrise trail itself is flat. Get out as far as Machias, though, and there are other trails going north -- one passing by Marshfield and another north of East Machias. These are MC-legal ATV trails through the woods. Go north a bit farther and they join logging roads. Go north even farther and there are more ATV trails but some of them are no longer legal for ATV-registered motorcycles.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #35317
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
. . . I bought the Bilt Adventure Explorer . . . Build quality looks pretty good, and I love the inner shaded shield. Not bad for $100.
Nice choice on the helmet. I love those inner sun shields too - that's the one thing I wish the AFX had.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #35318
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
As BKMLWR said the Sunrise trail itself is flat. Get out as far as Machias, though, and there are other trails going north -- one passing by Marshfield and another north of East Machias. These are MC-legal ATV trails through the woods. Go north a bit farther and they join logging roads. Go north even farther and there are more ATV trails but some of them are no longer legal for ATV-registered motorcycles.
I put a couple good gps tracks of that area on Dualsportmaps.com
from East Machias up into Grand Lake Stream area.....

Had to go to Danforth on business today so I took my gps and dropped waypoints at any interesting looking side roads....
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #35319
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
Yep, I need to get some pictures. Sadly I have been straight out busy, and it's been raining.

I did get to ride it today, just 20 miles, but it was good. I learned a few things.
First, it has been lowered. I didn't realize that until I was sitting at a stop light completely flat footed. I chatted with the original owner, and he confessed that he had lowered it.

Second, it appears to run a little hot. I have to do an oil change, and hope I don't find a wavy oil filter. I was told that the water pump was done by the original owner, but when I chatted with the original owner, he made no mention. I know that's a known flaw with these.

Third, the idle is high, and I can't find the damn idle adjustment for the life of me. It isn't where the manual says it should be. The bike has Safari tanks, so it may have been moved because of that.

It's mine now, and I'll get all the little things sorted pretty quickly.

Pictures should be tomorrow.
When you say it "seems to run hot" is it at 4 bars or 5 bars on the gauge? When moving it should be at 4 bars.... while stuck in traffic or a stop light (or ten) they will go to 5 pretty quickly so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

As for the throttle idle adjustment thingy..... If I can locate mine on my ADVenture you shouldn't have too many issues locating yours unless like stated earlier someone relocated it.

They are on the left side of the bike while seated on it.
USUALLY strapped to the frame rail with a black rubber strap, more than likely tucked nicely behind the frame so you can't see it.
Mine is easy to get at so I can adjust it at a stop light in seconds.

Do yourself a favor (when you get some time that is).
Get a beer (or two, no more than that) go out in the garage/shop/shed and learn the bike inside and out.
Take the seat, fuel tank, this that and everything else off and mess around with it while it's crappy riding weather that will go a LONG way later on.
I just did that with my new to me John Deere rider.

Enjoy the new toy (it's a WICKED nice bike).

If you were closer or wanted to do a ride here to Central Maine I'd help you with your first oil change.
I have a bike lift and beer. just bring yourself your bike, filter and oil.

Ride safe.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #35320
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
I put a couple good gps tracks of that area on Dualsportmaps.com
from East Machias up into Grand Lake Stream area.....

Had to go to Danforth on business today so I took my gps and dropped waypoints at any interesting looking side roads....
Need to get out that way and ride sometime later this year.
Tslapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #35321
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
When you say it "seems to run hot" is it at 4 bars or 5 bars on the gauge? When moving it should be at 4 bars.... while stuck in traffic or a stop light (or ten) they will go to 5 pretty quickly so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

As for the throttle idle adjustment thingy..... If I can locate mine on my ADVenture you shouldn't have too many issues locating yours unless like stated earlier someone relocated it.

They are on the left side of the bike while seated on it.
USUALLY strapped to the frame rail with a black rubber strap, more than likely tucked nicely behind the frame so you can't see it.
Mine is easy to get at so I can adjust it at a stop light in seconds.

Do yourself a favor (when you get some time that is).
Get a beer (or two, no more than that) go out in the garage/shop/shed and learn the bike inside and out.
Take the seat, fuel tank, this that and everything else off and mess around with it while it's crappy riding weather that will go a LONG way later on.
I just did that with my new to me John Deere rider.

Enjoy the new toy (it's a WICKED nice bike).

If you were closer or wanted to do a ride here to Central Maine I'd help you with your first oil change.
I have a bike lift and beer. just bring yourself your bike, filter and oil.

Ride safe.
Thank you sir. Yeah, I have read a bit more about temperature, and it seems in keeping exactly with what you wrote. That's peace of mind.

Thanks for the offer, and wisdom. I may just take you up on that.

I plan on taking the bike apart this weekend (if it rains). I had exactly the same thought as you suggested. I want to take it apart, not only to learn the lay of the land, but to figure out what tools I want to carry in my tool roll.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #35322
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
Thank you sir. Yeah, I have read a bit more about temperature, and it seems in keeping exactly with what you wrote. That's peace of mind.

Thanks for the offer, and wisdom. I may just take you up on that.

I plan on taking the bike apart this weekend (if it rains). I had exactly the same thought as you suggested. I want to take it apart, not only to learn the lay of the land, but to figure out what tools I want to carry in my tool roll.
Just pack a tooth pick.

You'll be wanting that shxt-eating grin to be at its best.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #35323
Chris W
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
$.02

Mesh:

I don't own any, but I've read that they are not that affective when it's hot and humid. Same with the evaporitive cooling vests. When it's hot and dry there is a significant risk of having the moisture sucked out of your body. And you die. Nothing better than a good sweat to keep you cool IMO.

Internal sun shades:

I bought an HJC flip-up for the street last fall with an internal shade. I like it way more than I thought I would. It's not tinted as dark as I'd like, but I wish my DS helmet had one.
IBA #393

"I know I'm getting tired when I start ducking for over passes..." ~ Ardys Kellerman
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #35324
Chris W
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Just pack a tooth pick.

You'll be wanting that shxt-eating grin to be at its best.
Nice!
IBA #393

"I know I'm getting tired when I start ducking for over passes..." ~ Ardys Kellerman
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #35325
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,042
[QUOTE=EvilClown;21379183 You'll be wanting that shxt-eating grin to be at its best.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of that when your up here there's a Ural you need to try.....

Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote