ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #37201
New2dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedadv View Post
Lol. Already ordered list:

Sw motech skidplate
Sw motech crashbars
Madstad mount (could have used that today to increase airflow)
Barkbuster storm handguards
Rear spools for ease

Then i will start electrical projects
I may forgo heated grips as my hands are usually hot
Heated gear is probably a pass as well. Im used to skiing and snowmobiling

The area im torn on and would love input is top and side case mounts and bag preferences. I know everyone has their specific needs and wants. Im gonna start with a tankbag and work my way back

Ride it for a while and then decide what you actually need. I put the Givi E21 cans on mine, we use our bike for day trips only and the E 21's fit the bill. Not sure which top case I have on the back but I see a lot of people use them it came with the bike. IMO nothing that came with my bike seems clunky or oversized. My bike also came with skid plate, crash bars I have taken it off road a few times and the question that I repeat over and over as I am doing it is why am I riding this off road? ( I also have a plated XR 400 )At some point it and I will end up going down in the dirt and IMO it is too nice to get all shatted up. As far as the windshield goes it doesn't bother me at all I use to ride a Honda V 65 sabre
New2dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #37202
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2dualsport View Post
Ride it for a while and then decide what you actually need. I put the Givi E21 cans on mine, we use our bike for day trips only and the E 21's fit the bill. Not sure which top case I have on the back but I see a lot of people use them it came with the bike. IMO nothing that came with my bike seems clunky or oversized. My bike also came with skid plate, crash bars I have taken it off road a few times and the question that I repeat over and over as I am doing it is why am I riding this off road? ( I also have a plated XR 400 )At some point it and I will end up going down in the dirt and IMO it is too nice to get all shatted up. As far as the windshield goes it doesn't bother me at all I use to ride a Honda V 65 sabre
Good call. I have a Kawi KLX250 (with 351 big bore on way) so serious offroad will be left to that (as well as the shatting up you speak of :lol) The previous owner went with straight road tires so off-road is a nogo for now. I did order a fork brace and mirror extenders as those seem like must have easy adds. Im definitely not used to the position of the shift pedal (too far in from what I'm used to) but i will give that time. The windscreen that came on this seems huge so Im guessing that its not stock. Either way, i just ordered a madstad bracket so that i can have more airflow adjustment.
Everything else, i think i will wait on since worst case i can just wear my backpack like Ive been doing for years. Its just nice to be on something again that can chew up some serious road!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wickedadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #37203
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewillsmith View Post
Great... just when I thought it sold so that I could put it out of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post
Not like you don't have room to store her in the winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewillsmith View Post
Store it? That would be the nice bike with the nice fairing to ride in the winter.

With nice warm heated grips with three settings and ready plug-ins for heated Gerbing's, good hand protection.. well, ok, average wind protection... but heated grips... and the heat off those jugs....

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #37204
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi View Post
With nice warm heated grips with three settings and ready plug-ins for heated Gerbing's, good hand protection.. well, ok, average wind protection... but heated grips... and the heat off those jugs....
Not sure we'll see winter this year.
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #37205
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Not sure we'll see winter this year.
You realize you just jinxed us right??? :). :lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #37206
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Good call.... The previous owner went with straight road tires so off-road is a nogo for now. I did order a fork brace and mirror extenders as those seem like must have easy adds. .... The windscreen that came on this seems huge so Im guessing that its not stock. Either way, i just ordered a madstad bracket so that i can have more airflow adjustment.
Everything else, i think i will wait on since worst case i can just wear my backpack like Ive been doing for years. Its just nice to be on something again that can chew up some serious road!
My strom is my "Go somewhere" bike. It currently has over 88,000 miles on it and I hope to get close to 100,000 by the end of the year. Since I have owned it, it has never had anything but street sneakers, and I'm fine with that. Mine is an 02, and has the original short windscreen and for me it works but my son has a MAdStad on his 06 and loves it.

The biggest 3 mods that I can suggest (other than the crash bars and bash pan that you have coming) are 1) the seat - I have a Russel "day long" seat on mine and I would sell the bike before I would sell the seat. 2) Heated grips - Makes Cool weather OR WET riding surprisingly more comfortable . and 3) Electrical Outlets for GPS/Gadgets/Toys.

I love my Givi Top bag and prefer "strap-on" Soft Panniers. I use the Top Box for Fragile and Valuable items on a trip. Everything else can go in my expandable side bags and a large dry bag that I strap behind me if I still need more storage.

this is my Son (moving to MT for the summer) but you get the idea

Mine (as I went out to CO a couple of years ago)

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #37207
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Rain or shine

Old 09-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #37208
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Rain or shine

Sherbrooke PQ and back this morning. Got nice after i got north of Errol. I love this bike already!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #37209
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,377
was over your way yesterday on a trip to Milan Lumber...I knew I would not get back before the end of the work day so I took my flyrod and waders and stopped of at Morin Landing off Rt2 on my way home and practiced casting on a slightly windy day at Bear Brook Falls on the Andro....a little hot but still a nice place to be...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #37210
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
was over your way yesterday on a trip to Milan Lumber...I knew I would not get back before the end of the work day so I took my flyrod and waders and stopped of at Morin Landing off Rt2 on my way home and practiced casting on a slightly windy day at Bear Brook Falls on the Andro....a little hot but still a nice place to be...
Well next time you are this way let me know. Im right in w. bethel and fish when I'm not riding or working. Wild river has some good spots too.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #37211
New2dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Oh yah I forgot about the seat. Knowing what I know now after riding all summer I would have dropped the cash on the seat. Just don't know what I am going to go with, Corbin maybe.
New2dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #37212
techgeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Anyone going to color in the catskills?

Hi all,

Is anyone going to the color in the catskills event?

http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/color-in-the-catskills/

It looks like there will be some fun things to do, and the octoberfest coincides with all the riding events.

I might go and camp Friday/Saturday nights.. $15/night seems better than the $400-1000/night for the on site hotel ;)

Has anyone done the GS challenge or is anyone else going?
techgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #37213
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
In stock @ Blouin's

Nicelookinbike.

Sure would like to take this thing for a spin.
Justfergiggles.

"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #37214
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,096
What is it?

Hint: Two of these came out of the ZRX's tank.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #37215
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
http://www.carid.com/fitch-fuel-cata...FVFp7AodBwUA9A

I have a friend that has used them for years.
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote