ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #37666
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgeek View Post
OK So you guys are confirming the research I did prior to buying it in the first place. Do you mind if I ask what the whole cogent shock setup cost was? and did you get the 8.1kg or 8.3kg spring?

Any thoughts on raising links?

I guess I should ride it a little more.

I just got back from driving my R1200GS through the color in the catskills GS challenge course, and had so much fun on that in even the single track that I question whether I even need something smaller. The GS is the best fitting bike for me that I've ever ridden. I miss the ergonomics more than anything else when I'm on my super tenere. And I kind of feel like the big bear on the tricycle at the circus on this.

Which seat did you go with? I think seat concepts sells a "tall" seat for this bike I was looking at.. but it seems like I'm going to spend another 40% of what I paid for the bike to get it shocked and seated..

The shock was about 700 shipped. Heaviest spring they have and it's about right.

If you raise the rear, you'll have to raise the front too and that's hard to do. The rear wheel is a 17" so a standard 18" would get it up a little. I understand a DR350 wheel will bolt right on. Other forks off a dirt bike would do it but then you wind up with different handling, maybe bad handling. Ping shoein and ask him what he did to his DR and how it handles.

The seat that came with mine is seat concepts. The standard I would say and it's very comfortable.

I know the circus bear feeling. Had it since I was a kid.

Get some 2" rox risers and a flat mx bar. Push them up and away from you. Lower the pegs and it will change it alot.
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #37667
Chris W
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
I know the circus bear feeling. Had it since I was a kid.
IBA #393

"I know I'm getting tired when I start ducking for over passes..." ~ Ardys Kellerman
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #37668
Tslapper
#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W View Post

Having kids puts a whole new arsenal at your fingertips, don't it?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #37669
Chris W
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post

Having kids puts a whole new arsenal at your fingertips, don't it?
They're good for sumthin!
IBA #393

"I know I'm getting tired when I start ducking for over passes..." ~ Ardys Kellerman
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #37670
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,496
Anyone looking for a KLR?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22536523

Or a WR250R?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923296

I don't really want to get rid of either, but I'm hoping there's a road-burning mileage eater in my future
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #37671
Kaw4Life
Busted Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Anyone looking for a KLR?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22536523

Or a WR250R?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923296

I don't really want to get rid of either, but I'm hoping there's a road-burning mileage eater in my future
I know the guy that owns this bike .... HOOLIGAN 1st CLASS .... Let the buyer beware!

(the preceding was in jest as the owner is a class act, master mechanic and all round good egg)

Kaw4Life screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 12:23 PM
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #37672
Maineboarder88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Uraling at Big Falls Camp

My wife,kids and I met some nice folks at a Ural camp-out up at Big Falls yesterday. The weather wasn't the best, but my youngest boy said to me when we got home, "Dad, thanks for that adventure". That pretty much sums up my reasoning for buying a hack...

Old 10-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #37673
Kaw4Life
Busted Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineboarder88 View Post
My wife,kids and I met some nice folks at a Ural camp-out up at Big Falls yesterday. The weather wasn't the best, but my youngest boy said to me when we got home, "Dad, thanks for that adventure". That pretty much sums up my reasoning for buying a hack...

Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #37674
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,623
Quote:
Which mile eater are you thinking of...?

Quote:
That's awesome... we bought our Hack for the kiddos too, years ago.

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #37675
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi View Post
Which mile eater are you thinking of...?
I don't know yet. My wife and I sat on an FJR at a dealer yesterday and really liked it. I'd need to take a good test ride on one to see how long I can take the riding position.

I keep coming back to the V-Strom though, I think it is the most practical choice, and I like the looks of the new ones. Again, I need to get a test ride lined up.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #37676
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,489
Quote:
I don't know yet. My wife and I sat on an FJR at a dealer yesterday and really liked it. I'd need to take a good test ride on one to see how long I can take the riding position.

I keep coming back to the V-Strom though, I think it is the most practical choice, and I like the looks of the new ones. Again, I need to get a test ride lined up.
for 2 up road miles I would vote for something bigger than a 650 strom.

for strictly street I would lean towards an FJR or even a nice used Norge..

if you want to dual sport tour I would get at least the V 1000 for ample power on highway trips loaded 2 up. And after a season of riding the Tenere I can also vouch for it. Catch me up n Freeport if you want a test ride
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #37677
Tslapper
#!

Quote:

I got a big kick out of running up on you guys today. Quite something to see all the hacks out on the N. Flagstaff road.

Thanks for letting us roll on by.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #37678
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
for 2 up road miles I would vote for something bigger than a 650 strom.

for strictly street I would lean towards an FJR or even a nice used Norge..

.... And after a season of riding the Tenere I can also vouch for it. Catch me up n Freeport if you want a test ride
CJ, just in case you didn't see it...
http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/4098972507.html

Not mine obviously.

But I would take exception to Dave's statement that the 650 should be given a pass. I have the 650 and the Big V. And while I agree that the V has more Umph, it does not have any more room or carrying capacity that the 650. and the 650 gets WAY better gas milage. My Son will not let me spend too much time on "his" Wee, but the few times that I was allowed to pilot it I was impressed. One time I took my mother up to Fryeburg and back and the little Vstrom handled it with ease - and you and your wife a FAR smaller than my mother and I. The Wee revs a bit higher fully loaded, going down the highway, but Matt and I have done several, fully loaded, multi-thousand, multi-day trips together and I never have to wonder if he will be behind me - assuming he is following and not leading. He still uses less fuel than I do even with the higher revs.

They had one of the "new style" 650 in the dealership out here and at first glance they have done some good things to make periodic maintenance easier, which if i have a complaint about the Vstrom it is what a PIA to get to stuff. You have to strip the bike almost to the frame to GET to anything. Probably 20 different screws and plastic connectors PLUS take the tank off to get to the air filter. as an example.

I wish you luck with whatever way you go, regardless of your choice of steeds

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #37679
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,489
Its amazing sometimes the people you run into on a road trip

Nice to see you for a minute and a.pleasure to meet your cousin...hope to see you in Freeport in a few weeks

fat fingered from fhone
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #37680
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,510
I have little experience on stroms....but to check out the lack of powrer of the Wee I took Shoein's Wee down to Camden with Mrs BK this summer and came home on Rt7 thru Brooks - Jackson to Dixmont. Between Jackson and Dixmont Rt 7 climbs a steep grade up over the Dixmont Mtn Ridge. Riding 2 up I was at 70 at the bottom of the hill and in 6th gear I was still at 70 at the top....it was enough to convince me a 650 would suit me just fine.
I would say don't write off a 650 without trying one

for those familiar with the road (Rt7) at the hill at the 131 intersection with flashing yellow I was able to accelerate all the way up the hill in 6th. Started about 50-55 at bottom but don't remember speed at top of hill.
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote