ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #40291
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslapper View Post
Right click, "save image as"...

You know, for later.

ummmmm.... I'm a wee bit skeeert about what "later" might mean.

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #40292
ctowne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Would it be a bad idea to get one of these and a standard car gps?

Arkon Bike or Motorcycle Handlebar Mount with Water-Resistant Holder for 4.3-inch Screen Size Garmin TomTom Magellan GPS by Arkon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FMUP0K/..._uKMgtb03FCNAP
ctowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #40293
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctowne View Post
Would it be a bad idea to get one of these and a standard car gps?

Arkon Bike or Motorcycle Handlebar Mount with Water-Resistant Holder for 4.3-inch Screen Size Garmin TomTom Magellan GPS by Arkon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FMUP0K/..._uKMgtb03FCNAP

my brother had one of these... it is water resistant, NOT waterproof. I have done thousand of ROAD miles with a cheap Nuvi auto gps. When it rains, I pull a clear plastic bag over the Nuvi and keep going. Sooo not the best OR most elegant solution, but cheap, and no harm thus far to the gps. did i mention cheap?

Old 03-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #40294
ctowne
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
my brother had one of these... it is water resistant, NOT waterproof. I have done thousand of ROAD miles with a cheap Nuvi auto gps. When it rains, I pull a clear plastic bag over the Nuvi and keep going. Sooo not the best OR most elegant solution, but cheap, and no harm thus far to the gps. did i mention cheap?
That might be the way I'm heading. I can't see spending 250+ on a Garmin 78
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #40295
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
notice the word 'ROAD' is emphasized. If you want to do off road riding the typical car gps does not so well.
a gps that can handle tracks does much better for off road work

I bought a nuvi 50LM on sale for $95 and was able to teach the wife how to use it and she does not do well with electronic devices...works nice for pavement as long as I don't set it on "shortest distance" instead of "fastest time"
Shortest distance puts my wife on roads she does not want to drive on....

your android phone would be almost as good as a Nuvi...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 AM   #40296
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
your android phone would be almost as good as a Nuvi...
except where the might be no data connection. With a phone, if you have no cell coverage you have no guidence. I know, there are apps for that.
(and I have probably tried 'em, Haven't found one I like enough to keep it around)

Old 03-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #40297
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
First reaction is...
...then you read it...

"...The signature feature on the SR400 is its curious kickstarter. Riders will have to use the kickstarter and a hand-operated decompression lever to get the engine running..."

Combining the 'it's too complicated' with today's gasoline, 'dead in the water' comes immediately to mind.

On the money side, kickstart only machine = $5990 or...

"...Appealing the younger riding demographic, the SR400 pricing is hundreds cheaper than the new small displacement models from Harley-Davidson (starting at $6700)."

My money sez for $710 the consumer is going with the HD badge regardless if it's a new model and not quite as 'cool' as even the 883.

OTOH, if this...

...was sitting on the showroom floor instead, it might gain some steam but the kickstart only thing may still be too big of a hurdle. I mean, you can't even buy a little KTM without the magic button anymore (that's prolly just BS) because the buyers don't want to have to kick it.

What kills me is someone at Yamaha will then make major future market decisions based on this USA market introduction flop and kill anything like it with the magic button for decades to come. /rant

But what the hell do I know? I'm just rambling on over morning coffee.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #40298
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Quote:
except where the might be no data connection. With a phone, if you have no cell coverage you have no guidence. I know, there are apps for that.
(and I have probably tried 'em, Haven't found one I like enough to keep it around)
awhile back Pundy posted a RR he and some friends did in Quebec deep woods using android tablets and oruxmaps. the oruxmaps program will download and store sat. images and they were able to load in gpx tracks and operate with no cell signal for a mulit day ride. They were able to find a nice campsite because they could see a lake and little access road that would not have been seen on the usual gps display. They were powered off the bike which is a good feature and kept the tablets in the tankbag map pocket.

The only downside to this setup would be if the bike stopped and you had to walk. the battery life is not going to last too long. I usually carry several sets of batteries for my gps which would allow for several days of walking if needed.

I should dig up Pundy's RR. It is interesting from the gps useage info.
LifeSong
Old 03-08-2014, 04:22 AM   #40299
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Quote:
awhile back Pundy posted a RR he and some friends did in Quebec deep woods using android tablets and oruxmaps....

The only downside to this setup would be if the bike stopped and you had to walk. the battery life is not going to last too long. I usually carry several sets of batteries for my gps which would allow for several days of walking if needed.
I actually have orux maps on my tablet, and on my phone, and to be honest find it very powerful and jam full of features. My biggest grip is BECAUSE of all the features, it lacks ease of use. I am absolutely certain that properly motivated, I could figure out how to make Orux map show me how to get from point A to point B - which is 90% of what I need. I love having it on my tablet because once i create a gpx (for example) I can view it on the tablet, but again, I am vastly under utilizing the app.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #40300
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Quote:
I actually have orux maps on my tablet, and on my phone, and to be honest find it very powerful and jam full of features. My biggest grip is BECAUSE of all the features, it lacks ease of use. I am absolutely certain that properly motivated, I could figure out how to make Orux map show me how to get from point A to point B - which is 90% of what I need. I love having it on my tablet because once i create a gpx (for example) I can view it on the tablet, but again, I am vastly under utilizing the app.
are you able to get maps displayed and the gpx track displayed and then drive/ride along and see some sort of marker move along the track like a gps? If so then you are the thread expert and can teach others....I have not been able to justify buying a tablet yet to make a dot move on it just like my gps does.....prolly should look for a used one somewhere..
LifeSong
Old 03-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #40301
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Quote:
are you able to get maps displayed and the gpx track displayed and then drive/ride along and see some sort of marker move along the track like a gps?
ummmm. I Think so... the "dot" moves by it self as YOU move based on the gps. Maps display display likewise. And the .gpx makes the red (or whatever color you tell to be). Just load up the .gpx and the rest should be follow the line. As usual, the devil is in the details. 1) creating the .gpx. 2 "offline maps" and getting the "right ones" on your device.

Quote:
so then you are the thread expert and can teach others....
lmao. Ya know Dave, there ARE things that I might classify myself as "able to teach others" at. THIS is not one of them. I am willing to share what I have, but knowledgeable on THIS topic I am not

Quote:
I have not been able to justify buying a tablet yet to make a dot move on it just like my gps does.....prolly should look for a used one somewhere..
If you have a smartphone, you have a tablet - except for the big screen of course. I like my tablet for some things, and hate it for others. Android is not a mature operating system! I often prefer to browse Advrider for instance, with my web browser. Images and navigation is better and easier for ME in the browser. But when it comes time to create a message or reply to one of you FF's it is often FAR easier to do it with "tapatalk" because of the way android handles the "edit message screen".

I am sure that there are others closer to you who can offer the same thing, but any time you want to play with my toyz, you are welcome to try them before you buy anything.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Old 03-08-2014, 05:38 AM   #40302
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
First reaction is...
...then you read it...

"...The signature feature on the SR400 is its curious kickstarter. Riders will have to use the kickstarter and a hand-operated decompression lever to get the engine running..."
With EFI, the kickstarter shouldn't be an issue, but I agree, kick only is probably the death blow. The thing the bugs me the most is the drum brake in the back. Seriously, a drum brake in 2014?
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #40303
Kaw4Life
Busted Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
First reaction is...
...then you read it...

Combining the 'it's too complicated' with today's gasoline, 'dead in the water' comes immediately to mind.

On the money side, kickstart only machine = $5990 or...

"...Appealing the younger riding demographic, the SR400 pricing is hundreds cheaper than the new small displacement models from Harley-Davidson (starting at $6700)."

My money sez for $710 the consumer is going with the HD badge regardless if it's a new model and not quite as 'cool' as even the 883.

OTOH, if this...

...was sitting on the showroom floor instead, it might gain some steam but the kickstart only thing may still be too big of a hurdle. I mean, you can't even buy a little KTM without the magic button anymore (that's prolly just BS) because the buyers don't want to have to kick it.

What kills me is someone at Yamaha will then make major future market decisions based on this USA market introduction flop and kill anything like it with the magic button for decades to come. /rant

But what the hell do I know? I'm just rambling on over morning coffee.

Magic button overrated. It's a 400, how hard could it be to start, especially with modern day electronics. I could get a '86 600 going with two kicks. I think the nostalgia thing will do well, very well.

Now if we could get them to do something like this, I WOULD get one.

Kaw4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #40304
ctowne
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
ummmm. I Think so... the "dot" moves by it self as YOU move based on the gps. Maps display display likewise. And the .gpx makes the red (or whatever color you tell to be). Just load up the .gpx and the rest should be follow the line. As usual, the devil is in the details. 1) creating the .gpx. 2 "offline maps" and getting the "right ones" on your device.

lmao. Ya know Dave, there ARE things that I might classify myself as "able to teach others" at. THIS is not one of them. I am willing to share what I have, but knowledgeable on THIS topic I am not

If you have a smartphone, you have a tablet - except for the big screen of course. I like my tablet for some things, and hate it for others. Android is not a mature operating system! I often prefer to browse Advrider for instance, with my web browser. Images and navigation is better and easier for ME in the browser. But when it comes time to create a message or reply to one of you FF's it is often FAR easier to do it with "tapatalk" because of the way android handles the "edit message screen".

I am sure that there are others closer to you who can offer the same thing, but any time you want to play with my toyz, you are welcome to try them before you buy anything.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
At this point in it's life Android is quite mature, you just need to know which devices to buy. I always use Tapatalk, but I use the older version (2.4.13) because imo it's far better than the new one. As far as the maps go, if you have the storage space then by all means download the maps onto your phone so that if you lose internet access you will still be able to view them.

If you guys need any help choosing android devices just let me know, I've been buying/selling them for a better part of 2 years so I've tried basically all of them. In terms of tablets, the Nexus 7 is definitely the way to go if you want the best bang for your buck. There are two models, the original version (2012) and the more recent 2013 version. If just using it on the bike I would recommend the original one because you can pick them up dirt cheap nowadays.

ctowne screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 05:56 AM
Old 03-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #40305
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,495
Nathan and I started to tear down the CB last night... dang he is quick.

Oh and someplace in this pile of parts is an e button and a kicker..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote